Wow- Something Really Great Happened Today!

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:18 pm

chicken wrote:yesterday the uni had an in-service/workshop on using storytelling in our classes. during the lunch break, one of the students from Kazakhstan graciously agreed to treat us to music played on her dombra. it was a smashing success!! i was SO proud of her and how she captivated the audience, the accuracy of her playing, and the echoing silence of the audience. i stood off to the side, my eyes all teared up, and doing everything humanly possible to refrain from dancing about maniacally.

it was SUCH a treat!!! :D

Excellent! I had an experience like that at my work this one week. One of my old camp friends still attends as a camper, and he has become a total hippie (raw silk and all). He was the last act of the camper talent show, it was a cold night with a crackling fire throwing smoke everywhere and it began to sprinkle, so he got up onstage, lit some incense and played a really haunting piece on his sitar- it was beautiful. Good for you, I'm really glad that you got to have the experience, chicken!
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:22 pm

it wasn't just me, it was tons of faculty at the uni. she received a standing O at the end of her performance of merely four songs. the comments i heard about her playing have been incredibly positive. i just wish she knew how to play "Bozingen" which i know from the Kazakh CD i bought, it's a fabulous tune!

re: sitar. did you know the neck on a sitar is hollow? i just learned that factoid recently and it blew me away.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alex » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:04 pm

My brother is getting married! At 48, with my soon to be sister in law of 23. And my brother used to be my sister, to make it even more special. He's been a man for about five years now. He must have been strugling for a long time, looking back. But all is okay now B)
Alex
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:19 pm

congrats to your Bro & his new wife to be Alex! There's a bit of an age difference there but love conquers all eh?

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:59 pm

Alex wrote:My brother is getting married! At 48, with my soon to be sister in law of 23. And my brother used to be my sister, to make it even more special. He's been a man for about five years now. He must have been strugling for a long time, looking back. But all is okay now B)

Thats wonderful! All of it is wonderful! Congrats on all fronts!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alex » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:33 pm

Thank you. Good opportunity for a family party too, I hope everyone will be present. There's a bit of quarreling happening :rolleyes:
Alex
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:12 pm

I received my membership card of Alive, the anti-death penalty coalition that I joined a few months ago but the membership card just never got through. It has now, so I am now 100% member AND can even prove I am! 20£ membership fee a year, not much AND the organisation is effective: in the recent years, 4 people in death row got clemency after a campaign by Alive. I'm proud to now be officially part of an organisation that has proven to really save lives.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:26 pm

Cracked Pleasures wrote:I received my membership card of Alive, the anti-death penalty coalition that I joined a few months ago but the membership card just never got through. It has now, so I am now 100% member AND can even prove I am! 20£ membership fee a year, not much AND the organisation is effective: in the recent years, 4 people in death row got clemency after a campaign by Alive. I'm proud to now be officially part of an organisation that has proven to really save lives.

If only the word about Alive could get out to the place that it's needed most here: Texas.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:53 am

I got my scene acted out today in Playwriting (See: The Creativity Corner) and it was so wonderful to see it come alive! I don't care how vain it sounds, it was absolutely perfect, just how I imagined it! :) I was told that it would have been more astonishing if there wasn't a mounting sense that the mother was going to cook the family dog for dinner as an act of revenge, but I liked the sense of impending, twisted doom that was creeping up so I am definately not changing it. The class really liked it too, I am so happy with it!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:02 am

Cool, Pashy! I liked it, well... just read it, I would love to see it COME ALIVE! No chance to make a video or something?
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:31 am

Had my first symphony rehersal of the season tonight. The first concert, which is coming up in about three weeks, will have a fun halloween theme to it. Included in the lineup are snippets from Phantom of the Opera (which will be quite fun), and Harry Potter (which will be extremely fun).

Plus--and I found this out tonight--we can all dress in costumes for the concert! That will be a blast! :P I don't know what I'll dress up as, but seeing as I'm a bit tight on cash I'll most likely break out my rugby things. The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is how well I'll be able to walk on stage wearing rugby cleats.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby helmoz » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:18 pm

i started training at the uni radio station today, it went well :)
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:08 pm

Boxguy wrote:Had my first symphony rehersal of the season tonight. The first concert, which is coming up in about three weeks, will have a fun halloween theme to it. Included in the lineup are snippets from Phantom of the Opera (which will be quite fun), and Harry Potter (which will be extremely fun).

Plus--and I found this out tonight--we can all dress in costumes for the concert! That will be a blast! :P I don't know what I'll dress up as, but seeing as I'm a bit tight on cash I'll most likely break out my rugby things. The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is how well I'll be able to walk on stage wearing rugby cleats.

Awesome!!!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:00 pm

Boxguy wrote:Had my first symphony rehersal of the season tonight. The first concert, which is coming up in about three weeks, will have a fun halloween theme to it. Included in the lineup are snippets from Phantom of the Opera (which will be quite fun), and Harry Potter (which will be extremely fun).

Are cleats like boots?

What do you play??
elko
Site Admin

Postby Boxguy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:07 am

elko wrote:Are cleats like boots?

What do you play??

Yes, cleats are boots. They're the same thing.

I play violin. Specifically for the symphony I play first violin. I've been playing for violin roundabout 17 years and my sister for 27 (she plays in the symphony along with me). Our mom started both of us out when we were four and told us that we had to play until we were either, and I quote, "Eighteen or independently wealthy." We're certainly over eighteen, so... :D

As far as rugby goes I primarily play wing, having played that position for most of my four years of rugby. Typically I will play right-side wing if we decide to run a right-left side configuration or weak-side wing if we decide on a strong-weak configuration. Occasionally if we're lacking pack players I'll move over into blind-side flanker, but that doesn't happen too often.
Boxguy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat