Travellers of the world, unite and take over

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:44 pm

As I promised some time ago: a topic dedicated to my goal in life and to the most noble of all goals to aim for: discovering this beautiful world of ours!

Talk here about travels you did, travels you're about to make, or travels you're intending to make some day.

Maybe a little questionnaire for everyone to fill in:

MOST BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY YOU HAVE TRAVELLED TO:
MOST BEAUTIFUL CITY YOU HAVE DISCOVERED:
YOUR ULTIMATE TRAVELLING DESIRE:
OTHER COUNTRIES/PLACES YOU HOPE TO VISIT SOME DAY:
LEAST PLEASANT PLACE YOU VISITED
COUNTRIES YOU DON'T WANT TO VISIT:
PLACES WHERE YOU'D LIKE TO EMIGRATE TO:

I'll sound off myself. Know that since my very early years I have been obsessed by the polar areas (mainly the Arctic but to a certain extend also the Antarctica continent) and by remote isolated islands... So my list may seem a bit weird to some of you, but what the heck hey :D

MOST BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY YOU HAVE TRAVELLED TO: Croatia. I spent two holidays in this magical country and fell in a deep love with this country. The nature is stunning, with the most unique landscapes and sceneries. The country is not ruined by mass-tourism yet and is very authentic. The population is very relaxed and easy going, and very welcoming. I spent two holidays on the Kvarner Islands in front of the Croatian coast, and mainly the little town of Veli Losinj is a place I adore. A little fishermen's village with those typical rocky beaches, little alleys and clay houses, terraces on the board of the very tiny fishing port, very idyllic when lit at night, ... I truely adore this place. Here's a picture:
and at night:

MOST BEAUTIFUL CITY YOU HAVE DISCOVERED: I go for either Salzburg or Venice. The one is a piece of art full of opera buildings and old houses, surrounded by mountains and cut in two by a pittoresque idyllic river. Stunning.
The other is totally unique with all its canals and those old impressive palaces along the watersides.
Brussels and Paris are close, but if I MUST choose I go for Salzburg and Venice.

YOUR ULTIMATE TRAVELLING DESIRE: Alert. The northernmost settlement in the world. It's a scientific base on the very northern edge of Canada's arctic Ellesmere Island. When standing on the beach in Alert, all you see in front of you is the frozen sea and the north pole.

OTHER COUNTRIES/PLACES YOU HOPE TO VISIT SOME DAY: Australia (mainly Perth, Sydney and Tasmania), Pitcairn Islands, Tuvalu, St Helena, Tristan Da Cunha (remotest populated island in the world), Kerguelen, Bouvetøya (though practically impossible to visit), Tierra del Fuego, Falkland Islands (Malvinas), Hong Kong, Svalbard, Faroe Islands, Israel, Russia (mainly Vladivostok, Moscow and St Petersburg), Caucasus (Ukraine+Georgia+Azerbaijan+Armenia, all ex USSR), Franz Joseph Land (arctic Russia that is)

LEAST PLEASANT PLACE YOU VISITED: I found the Italian a bit harsh: the beaches were surrounded by walls and there was control on what you took onto the beach, most people were animal-unfriendly as well. However, to say Italy in general is unpleasant, would be a lie. Their cities are stunning, so I do like Italy. Just those few coastal places I went to were not that nice.

COUNTRIES YOU DON'T WANT TO VISIT: any country that practises capital punishment. I can morally not make it to spend money and thus support the economy in a country that executes its own people. When USA and Mongolia ditch capital punishment some day, I hope to visit New York and Alaska and Ulaan Bator. But not before death penalty is abolished.

PLACES WHERE YOU'D LIKE TO EMIGRATE TO: Australia, Iceland, Norway, Greenland, Turkey, Croatia. New York as well if DP is abolished someday. For now just Australia, Iceland, Norway, Greenland, Turkey, Croatia. Maybe Russia as well, somehow I've always found the Soviet countries very appealing.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:17 pm

MOST BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY YOU HAVE TRAVELLED TO: (Canary Islands) Lanzarote, beautiful, hot, windy, cheap beer.

MOST BEAUTIFUL CITY YOU HAVE DISCOVERED: Paris, food yum. Sights to see.

YOUR ULTIMATE TRAVELLING DESIRE: To see City win the Champions League, wherever it may be?

OTHER COUNTRIES/PLACES YOU HOPE TO VISIT SOME DAY: Croatia sounds nice from what CP says.

LEAST PLEASANT PLACE YOU VISITED Tunisia

COUNTRIES YOU DON'T WANT TO VISIT: South Africa

PLACES WHERE YOU'D LIKE TO EMIGRATE TO: Already done it, England to Scotland hee-hee.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby atomium » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:46 pm

ENGLAND!!!! I haven’t travelled that much though, just been to: Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Poland, England and Norway of course…

As for Big Cities, I’m very impressed ever time I stay in London. There are so many places here in Norway I love, the unique nature is breathtaking.

Well, I love England, and I would love to spend some more time over there, maybe a backpacking tour. Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales…I’ve also read a bit about Isle of Man, I would love to visit. I think Manchester is the ultimate place in my dreams. Norwegian blood, English heart?

France perhaps, but I don’t speak French very well…I would also like to see Australia and New Zealand as well as Spain and Italy.

The least pleasant place I visited, well, I don’t really know. I’ve enjoyed staying in all the countries I’ve been to. I remember when I was younger I liked to travel to a place in Sweden called “Svinesund”, where you can by cheap candy. The last time we travelled there, my mother suggested that we could join one of those bus travelling services that offers tours over there, it sounded like a great idea but No! When we got on the bus, there were only old people there (60+)..That’s ok, old people are nice, I thought. But something happens to old people when they sit inside a bus for several hours without air-condition. “I want to sit there” “Hey that’s my seat” “I was told that the ticked was 1,25 £ cheaper”…When we finally arrived and the bus stopped, they got desperate. Everyone, 44 people at the age of 60, tried to get of the bus first….I’m never going to travel by bus to Sweden anymore…

I don’t want to visit any African countries (except some very few) or any countries in the Middle East…

England, Scotland, Sweden, Denmark, Northern Ireland, Germany, (France..? Speaking French 24/7..?), Spain...

B)
Anto -
atomium
Supreme

Postby Perfect Drug » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:00 pm

MOST BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY YOU HAVE TRAVELLED TO: France
MOST BEAUTIFUL CITY YOU HAVE DISCOVERED: Paris
YOUR ULTIMATE TRAVELLING DESIRE: Prague
OTHER COUNTRIES/PLACES YOU HOPE TO VISIT SOME DAY: Germany, the UK, Russia
LEAST PLEASANT PLACE YOU VISITED: Bulgaria and Hungary
COUNTRIES YOU DON'T WANT TO VISIT: Eastern Europe
PLACES WHERE YOU'D LIKE TO EMIGRATE TO: France
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>At all events when, after many hours, the door was opened and people thronged in, they found the murderer unconscious and in a raging fever. The prince was sitting by him, motionless, and each time that the sick man gave a laugh, or a shout, he hastened to pass his own trembling hand over his companion's hair and cheeks, as though trying to soothe and quiet him. But alas he understood nothing of what was said to him, and recognized none of those who surrounded him.</span>
Perfect Drug
Supreme

Postby elko » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:47 pm

Wales. I know it's the nearest, but it's true all the same. Wonderful valleys, mountains, rivers, forests, beaches, castles, etc.

Barcelona was lovely. Good architecture and that.

I have no idea. Some sort of world tour would be nice, but maybe you wouldn't see so much. I'd like to see a bit more of Europe than I have.

France perhaps, but I don’t speak French very well…I would also like to see Australia and New Zealand as well as Spain and Italy.

Turkey weren't so nice. A very touristy place we were at, and everyone was dead pushy.

Most of them. I'm not a natural traveller, and am quite happy to sit here.

Wales, maybe somewhere Scandinavian.
Last edited by elko on Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:28 am

Italy

Cinque Terra, Italy

(I don't know if this counts) but I want to teach English in another continent after I graduate for a year.

Haiti! Pretty much all of South America. New Zealand! India!!

I've liked everywhere! Though I am not so great with big cities, so there were parts of England and parts of Germany that rubbed me the wrong way, then again- I don't like New York City for the same reason, so the problem lies in me, not the location. Hmm... also, some parts of Canada were dreary to me.

There isn't anywhere that really strikes me as 'I don't want to go there' unless I hear about a civil war or contagious super-illness there.

Anywhere warm that will hire me to a good job.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Return to General Chat