What's your most recent literary purchase?

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby madmancmonkey » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:27 am

Well. I have decided that I will glean most of my reading from Central library Manchester now as I have a full summer stretching away. I am about to walk there now (via the iron bridge if you care). I am intrigued by the graffiti there at the minute. Someone even drew Morrissey. Not one of you guys was it?
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:27 am

I want this book so badly! I found it in Borders for $35 and read the first 70 pages (ie barely started) and it is so amazing!!

A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby yandee » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:01 pm

Greil Marcus - Lipstick Traces
Jon Savage - England's Dreaming
Legs McNeil - Please Kill Me
Graham Green - The Power And The Glory
Ingeborg Bachmann - Malina
Truman Capote - Other Voices, Other Rooms (as a birthday present for Marlen)
Last edited by yandee on Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:34 am

yandee wrote:Greil Marcus - Lipstick Traces
Jon Savage - England's Dreaming
Legs McNeil - Please Kill Me
Graham Green - The Power And The Glory
Ingeborg Bachmann - Malina
Truman Capote - Other Voices, Other Rooms (as a birthday present for Marlen)

i hope you're reading all of this, it's quite the list.
but if not everything is read cover-to-cover, i'm with you. from my bookclub i just ordered yet another myth & legend encyclopedia (a sweet two-volume work from a great publisher), while i have yet to fully address the meso-america books purchased last winter :ph34r:

can you let me know how the Savage is? i've heard of him a few times and am curious.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby yandee » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:09 am

chicken wrote:can you let me know how the Savage is? i've heard of him a few times and am curious.

I'm currently reading Please Kill Me, which is one of the greatest books on US punk rock, if not THE greatest. But Savage is going to be up next. I'll let you know.

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:32 pm

James Joyce - Dubliners

I love short stories and these are veeeery good.

I am looking for a book about Truman Capote written by George Plimpton called "Truman Capote: In Which Various Friends, Enemies, Acquaintences and Detractors Recall His Turbulent Career", I can't find it here and I don't have a credit card... I think I will need help from a very good friend from North America, I hate my city when I can't find a book. :(
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:55 am

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy
and other tales

by Timothy Burton
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:42 am

chicken wrote:The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy
and other tales

by Timothy Burton

Awesome!! I remember liking this book... should go and reread it! :)

From Blue to Black-- read it twice in Perth, and not for lack of materials to read! It is the story of a fictional rock band told from the point of view of the bassist/lead singer's lover as the lead singer slowly destroys himself-- spectacular.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:26 am

tonight i ordered:

The Mentality of Apes
by: Wolfgang Kohler, one of the founding fathers of Gestalt Psychology, a work I've read before but simply must have in my collection because of his description of "proto-religious behaviour" in chimpanzees.

and

Elements Of Folk Psychology - Outline Of A Psychological History Of The Development Of Mankind
by Wilhelm Wundt, the father of modern academic psychology. this is a 19th century book, something i've wanted for over five years now :D

old school, i guess that's the name of the game right now :P
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:21 am

'O Pioneers!' by Willa Cather. Bought it today: beautiful edition, generous price and an amazing read.

Oh and last week my mama gave me a present: Mark Twain's 'A Tramp Abroad'.
Last edited by Truman Capote on Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:35 am

chicken wrote:tonight i ordered:

The Mentality of Apes
by: Wolfgang Kohler, one of the founding fathers of Gestalt Psychology, a work I've read before but simply must have in my collection because of his description of "proto-religious behaviour" in chimpanzees.

That sounds veeery interesting! I used to have some incredibly long conversations with my ex-lover about Gestalt Psychology. Well, I just used to make silly questions to be honest, she was the expert.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:16 am

Truman Capote wrote:<!--quoteo(post=42970:date=Dec 21 2007, 02:26 AM:name=chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chicken @ Dec 21 2007, 02:26 AM) [snapback]42970[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
tonight i ordered:

The Mentality of Apes

That sounds veeery interesting! I used to have some incredibly long conversations with my ex-lover about Gestalt Psychology. Well, I just used to make silly questions to be honest, she was the expert.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

TC: i've been trained in only so much Gestalt psych, mainly in it's history. however, i also stumbled into a Menninger Foundation training on some Gestalt techniques for psychotherapy some years ago--fun stuff, very effective...i still use it to this day.
a bit of interesting trivia:
after WWII, Japan became more "westernized" than ever before. Gestalt psych took over there far before any other school of thought in psych.

anyways,
here's Wolfie:
(don't let that stoic photo deceive you, he was a magnificent writer, balancing his own subjective experience with scientific standards...there is a reason he rose as far as he did in the field of shrink-ology!)

yes, indeed, it is a frightfully interesting read!! i've found the spots about dancing chimps, have yet to find the exact quotes on their proto-religious behaviouir.....heh...just a matter of time.
[an image from his research on "insight learning"]:
[and here's 'Sultan', his genius chimp, reading about his accomplishments is a weird trance]:

but i wanted to report this: OMFG!! that Wundt book: "Elements of Folk Psychology - Outline Of A Psychological History Of The Development Of Mankind" is a magnum opus. it predates Joseph Campbell, Carl Jung, and Otto Rank. it is frigging amazing.
i had no idea, here i've been preaching about Wundt for upteen-eleventy-years. heh.....
life is far too fun! :D :D :lol:

carry on...
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:37 pm

I never liked reading, apart from non-fiction. But I am considering reading "20000 leagues under the sea" by Jules Verne after reading the story behind Captain Nemo at a website. But, given the fact that I never manage to complete a book, I may check if there isn't a film version...
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:16 pm

There are two film versions of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: a 1916 silent film, and most notably a 1954 Walt Disney production, which is the most well-known adaptation. There are also two TV movie versions produced in the US in the late 90s.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby yandee » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:27 pm

I'm still intensifying my love affair with Paul Celan...

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat