what would you change your name to?

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby rubygirl » Mon May 21, 2007 6:57 pm

so - say, say, say ... :P Just for some playful fun ;)

there was a time in my life when I liked the idea of being called Theresa.

But now I'd probably go for Cora or Corinne - I love those :P
Last edited by rubygirl on Mon May 21, 2007 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Mon May 21, 2007 8:50 pm

i used to want to change my surname to something more british, but i never did, because changing my name would be like changing my identity, i wouldnt want to disrepect my heritage.
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon May 21, 2007 8:52 pm

Cool topic!

I never really liked my name that much, but also don't dislike it. I always liked names ending in an -a, so hence I always liked the names in former Yugoslavia. Ivica, Ilica, Ilia, ... all male names that end in an -a. I would choose one of those if I'd change my name. I think I'd go for Ivica. I even wouldn't mind a female name, I see no issues with that really.

However, I have no issues with my first name. I would love to change my surname though because no one here can pronounce it. Given my travelling and emigration desires, a more 'international' name would just be very practical, and I live in unrest with a main part of my family so I would have no emotional problems to change my surname. On the contrary, I think I'd get some fulfillment out of the name change as it'd break the last connection with that family. In the UK you can do it by deed poll, the problem is that as an immigrant in the UK my 'new name' would be legally valid in the UK but not outside the UK...
If I'd have the chance to do it, I'd go for it. No doubt about it. It is too expensive though in the belgian system, and because I live abroad it would be even more expensive as it'd all involve special documents to be dealt with by the embassy.
Last edited by Cracked Pleasures on Mon May 21, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Mon May 21, 2007 9:38 pm

for my first two years in grammar school, i was known by "Eddie" (Edward is my middle name). then, in third grade a 'real' Eddie moved to town---not only did I turn that over to him, but also my title as fastest in my class :(

So I'd pick Eddie as a name.
If not Eddie, I've always fancied Leon....but then again, for a couple years in school my dyslexia was strong enough that I signed my name as "Leoj" on numerous occasions. :lol:
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon May 21, 2007 9:47 pm

I'm not sure I'd change mine, I like it quite a lot, but I sometimes think that I don't look or act much like an Ellis, whatever an Ellis should look or act like. I am in my girlfriend's phone under the name 'William', which suits me much more I think. Bit late now though, and it would mean being called 'Bill' when I get old.

Sticking with the middle names theme though, I wouldn't mind adopting mine - it's Nathaniel.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon May 21, 2007 10:21 pm

I don't have a middle name, just one first name here.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Mon May 21, 2007 10:28 pm

I would probably change my name to either Matt or Chris, mainly something seen as being a bit sexier than Ryan.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon May 21, 2007 10:49 pm

I always liked the name Ryan. Here it is somewhat linked to the Celtic countries where the name is quite common.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Mon May 21, 2007 10:54 pm

yeah, Ryan is a cool name :)

and so is Nathaniel :)

we don't have middle names in Bulgaria, I always thought it would be interesting to have them.
and I had written the topic title wrong, thougth instead of thought :ph34r: - it's obvious that I've slept like 3 hours last night :(
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Tue May 22, 2007 12:48 am

apparently there is research into how 'attractive' a name is.
the results of that research says the difference is between vowels: front vowels vs. back vowels. at least in the US, front vowels in names tend to be rated as more sexy.

regardless, i'm not majority and will never be. thus, i don't mind having back vowel names.

i agree with Ruby: Ryan is a sexy name, as is Nathaniel. (coincidentally, the middle names of my two fav nephews!)
i'll add: Ellis is a far out name. some front vowel action there ;)
:P
:lol:
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Tue May 22, 2007 1:39 am

chicken wrote:...front vowel action...

Cue the Marvin Gaye. :D :P :D :P
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Truman Capote » Tue May 22, 2007 3:28 am

Morrissey, Truman, Capote, Jack, Hunter, Esteban... :unsure:
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue May 22, 2007 4:21 am

The name I have been called my whole life (Caity/ Caity Mae) fits me like a glove. Problem being that that isn't my real name-- my real name is 9 letters of sheer proper, elegant sounding awfulness that (pretty as it is) doesn't fit me at all. Thus, I want to legally make my name Caity because I never met the woman I was actually named after anyway, so I am not worried about offending her.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Ishihara » Tue May 22, 2007 3:51 pm

I wouldn't mind the name Meiji, after my favorite Emperor.

...Ishiara has spoken!
ImageImageImage
Ishihara
Supreme

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue May 22, 2007 7:44 pm

Actually, are there any international or European laws regarding name changes, or is all of this organised on national level only?

Some countries make it really easy to change your name without any costs or hassle, just a short letter to your local city hall. In my native country it'd cost me close to 1000£ to do it, and it has to be approved after request. I think everyone should have the chance to do it for free at least once in life, after all your name is something you carry around every day...

In Bulgaria there's a guy who changed his name to Manchester (= first name) United (= surname) :ph34r:

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to General Chat