what would you change your name to?

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby rubygirl » Tue May 22, 2007 11:05 pm

Cracked Pleasures wrote:
In Bulgaria there's a guy who changed his name to Manchester (= first name) United (= surname) :ph34r:

you sure? :blink:
because it's not very easy here to change your name, they require you to present some 'very convincing and serious reasons'' :ph34r:
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed May 23, 2007 10:36 am

The man made the foreign newspapers with that name change... It was definitely a Bulgarian.

In Belgium the same conditions apply: you need to have a very good reason (which is open for interpretation) and pay money. I could do it for free here in the UK by deed poll, but the new name would not be accepted by the authorities in my native country, so there'd be a bizarre situation where I would have a different name in Belgium than I have in the UK... I think countries just make it too hard, there should be a more flexible procedure to change your name. Your name is something you carry for life, and yet we cannot even choose it ourselves ; no disrespect to my parents but I'd actually rather follow my own preference.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Wed May 23, 2007 12:33 pm

i think the laws on names are on a national level, not international.
apparently there was a guy who was overcharged by yorkshire bank plc for a tiny overdraft so he changed his name by deed poll to "yorkshire bank plc are fascist bastards" and asked the bank to make him a chequebook in his new name. :D
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby Ishihara » Wed May 23, 2007 6:49 pm

Well I wouldn't change it to a self-fabricated symbol like Prince did... :rolleyes:

...Ishiara has spoken!
ImageImageImage
Ishihara
Supreme

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed May 23, 2007 7:05 pm

I believe, in order to be able to classify his records alphabetically, they considered his name to be "The Symbol" or the "Love Symbol". It wasn't very practical anyways. He also used the moniker TAFKAP (The Artist Formerly Known As Prince) for a while.

The one about the fascist bank employees, like Helen says, is true. It made the paper.

Also, a few famous British performers used deed poll name changes to change their real name to the name that they used on stage. David Vanian (The Damned) and Dani Filth (of Cradle of Filth) are famous examples of artists that made their 'stage names' also their real names. Alice Cooper also legally changed his name to the name he was known by in the musical world (his original name was Vincent Fournier or so, but he legally changed it to Alice). Also, Cat Stevens legally changed his name to Yusuf Islam when he converted to islam.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Wed May 23, 2007 10:57 pm

Cracked Pleasures wrote: Also, Cat Stevens legally changed his name to Yusuf Islam when he converted to islam.

interesting point. from what little i know, it is common to change one's name when converting to Islam.

strange....this conversation has made me ponder how much control we, as individuals, allow our governments to have over us. such a strange symbiotic relationship :blink:
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu May 24, 2007 12:59 pm

Many people converting to Islam adopt a second name, so they keep both their original names and their new Arabic name. Some don't adopt a new name however, while others prefer to completely ditch their original names and use only their new Arabic names.

Also, when converting to Judaism, some also prefer to adopt a new Hebrew name in addition to their original name. This is also not an obligation though.

I think, regardless of religious or personal reasons, everyone should be able to change his name at least once. It is something we carry with us for life, and we're not even allowed to choose our names ourselves?? That does not make much sense to me.

I can understand that some name changes get refused of course. Imagine someone requests to change his name to Adolf Hitler or Jesus Christ or Julius Caesar or so... that sort of bad jokes get rejected for a reason. But if someone just wishes to bear the name he really likes, then I think he should be entitled to change the name. Someone else (even if it's our parents) should not be choosing something that we carry around on daily basis.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Thu May 24, 2007 5:54 pm

Cracked Pleasures wrote:Many people converting to Islam adopt a second name, so they keep both their original names and their new Arabic name. Some don't adopt a new name however, while others prefer to completely ditch their original names and use only their new Arabic names.

Also, when converting to Judaism, some also prefer to adopt a new Hebrew name in addition to their original name. This is also not an obligation though.

I think, regardless of religious or personal reasons, everyone should be able to change his name at least once. It is something we carry with us for life, and we're not even allowed to choose our names ourselves?? That does not make much sense to me.

I can understand that some name changes get refused of course. Imagine someone requests to change his name to Adolf Hitler or Jesus Christ or Julius Caesar or so... that sort of bad jokes get rejected for a reason. But if someone just wishes to bear the name he really likes, then I think he should be entitled to change the name. Someone else (even if it's our parents) should not be choosing something that we carry around on daily basis.

I am terrified for when my sister has children- she likes the most horibble names! I guess that is just what you get from reading romance novels-- terrible, terrible names that children will have to bear for life.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:00 pm

Pashernate_Lover wrote:
I am terrified for when my sister has children- she likes the most horibble names! I guess that is just what you get from reading romance novels-- terrible, terrible names that children will have to bear for life.

I am very much against some boring trivial names, but just as much I dislike weird names - I know children really hate them and hatte being ridiculed in school because of their names :(

I read about some actress naming her son audio science - such things really are stupid, not original, and should not be allowed :(
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:47 am

Is such a name allowed? I know that in some countries there is a list you need to choose from, while others have no restrictions at all. I knew a Brazilian guy once who named his child "beer bottle" (in Portuguese then) :ph34r:

Here in Turkey lot of people have names referring to natural elements. The Turkish words for things like "sea" and "rain" are frequently used for first names.
Last edited by Cracked Pleasures on Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:22 pm

There's a guy from Ecuador named Burger King Reyes. Poor people sometimes come up with some really ridiculous names, specially in Ecuador.
There's a small town called Chone in Ecuador with a crazy amount of odd names. There's a Hitler Corral and a Hitler Mendoza (and they are black). Other names: Burger King (yep another) Herrera, Alí Babá Cárdenas, Vick Vaporup Gíler, Conflicto Internacional Loor, Cien Pies (100 feet) Pinares, Puro Aguardiente Zambrano. It's also full of bad spelled names and diminutives as official legal names like Yoni instead of Johnny or Guasintong for Washington. There's also a John Kennedy Suarez. The list continues: Alka Seltzer Monagua, Luz Divina, Ford Chevrolet, Selva Alegre (happy jungle), Sostenes (bras), Perfecta Heroina, Tsunami and there's even a Roberto.- (yes, with that '.-' at the end).
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:29 am

Truman Capote wrote:Alka Seltzer Monagua

That's brilliant. I can just imagine all the parents competing for the most ludicrous name :D
elko
Site Admin

Postby rubygirl » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:07 am

he-he,
Martyn - thanks for entertaining us with these ... it was a hilarious read! :lol: :P
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:26 pm

I used to have a cat called Tsunami :ph34r: Named after the Manics song.

Those names are beyond ridiculous although that Burger King one has advantages. If he dates a girl and her mother should not know about it, she can just say "I am off to Burger King" and no one will ever find out the truth.

Which parent with a bit of a brain would name his son Hitler?! :huh:

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:17 pm

By the way, working for a callcenter means you come across some odd names now and then as well.

I once had a guy on the phone whose name was Ali Baba. Really! First name was Ali and second name Baba. He was of Lebanese origin or so...

I also had a guy named Mr Horniman on the phone once :P

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat