THE HAILING FREQUENCY

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Re: THE HAILING FREQUENCY

Postby Boxguy » Mon May 25, 2009 4:35 am

So I'm looking at actually buying a place to live. The guy who lives in the condo below me, and who just happens to be the coworker I work the most closely with, just bought a house and is giving me first right of refusal on his current place. He's done a remarkable job of refurbishing it and is asking a rather decent amount, but I'm debating if I'm ready to actually take to plunge into homeownership.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon May 25, 2009 8:09 am

Boxguy wrote:So I'm looking at actually buying a place to live. The guy who lives in the condo below me, and who just happens to be the coworker I work the most closely with, just bought a house and is giving me first right of refusal on his current place. He's done a remarkable job of refurbishing it and is asking a rather decent amount, but I'm debating if I'm ready to actually take to plunge into homeownership.

Ummmm... wow, big leap. Does it look like you are going to be in Hays for a significant amount of time that would make this worthwhile? Does your job seem very secure? If yes on both of those, and you know you can scrimp and save for a few years to pay it off, then I say go for it!
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:14 am

If I were to buy the place and take the $8000 first-time homeowner credit that's part of Obama's stimulus package I would need to own the place for at least two years in order to not have to pay it back, so I would have a minimum commitment of two years. Since I admin the heart of the uni's online academic presence, which actually has a larger enrollment than on-campus, I believe my job is more than secure. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if mortgage payments would be lower than what I'm currently paying for rent. A couple of advantages I can see about buying the place is that my credit score would possibly improve (not having taken any large debt, such as a car or home purchase, can be a damper on your credit score), and I would start to build equity that I could borrow against if need be, i.e. my '91 Camry suddenly craps out and I suddenly find myself in the market for buying a vehicle.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:24 am

I did it! I just gave the final, submitted the grades, submitted my grade book to the school, cleaned out my classroom, submitted 30 student portfolios and finished the year with my class! Yay! Oh, and I have my credential now! And I am graduating on Friday... and I will finish my masters in a month and a week- yay wrapping everything up!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:44 am

Wonderful to hear! Congrats! :D
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Boxguy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:26 am

So I thought that these past couple of weeks would be quieter than the previous have been, but alas they haven't. I've been running ragged with various projects, search committees, traveling, and such. It makes me wish for the start of fall term and the subsequent subsidence in work.

I'm heading to northeast Texas on Thursday for my cousin's wedding. It promises to be a big Southern wedding, with a large crawfish boil for the rehearsal dinner and a wedding party consisting of seven bridesmaids. I also plan to spend a few days in Dallas (my mom's hometown) visiting a few places I've known well since childhood and watching some good Gaelic football and rugby at a great little pub there.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:01 am

That sounds awesome! Congrats to your family and I hope you have an excellent time! And eat a lot, its the law afterall.
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:56 am

I have moved to the North of LA and found no work. Such is life I suppose... but as always it brings m right back to listening to Morrissey practically non-stop with a bit of Iggy mixed in. I miss you all, fall is here, so come back!

PS Happy Spring Tru!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:46 am

I'm getting a cat this weekend! My sister is handing over the oldest of her four cats to me, since he's not having that great of a time handling the combination of my two nephews and the new puppy they just got. I've known him since he was a kitten, and he's always been extremely sweet to people. I'm pretty excited. :)
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:03 am

Boxguy wrote:I'm getting a cat this weekend! My sister is handing over the oldest of her four cats to me, since he's not having that great of a time handling the combination of my two nephews and the new puppy they just got. I've known him since he was a kitten, and he's always been extremely sweet to people. I'm pretty excited. :)

Sweet! You should rename it Morrissey. Wouldn't Morrissey be the perfect name for a cat?/Be a perfect cat? So well suited!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:11 am

I've decided to dress up this Halowe'en for the first time in years. I'm going to be horribly terrorizing the streets of Hays, Kansas as....Torgo!

...though it's likely the worst I'll do is deliver pizzas a number of hours late with complimentary Crazy Bread (MST3K reference). :lol:

Pictures will hopefully be forthcoming after Saturday.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby helmoz » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:42 pm

cats rule!i'm sure you'll love your new pet :D
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:17 pm

How was your Halloween, Torgo? I have a friend visiting from Melbourne so we went down to West Hollywood with 400,000 other people and had a great time. Carved pumpkins too-- they looked great! I went as a tentacle monster, but everyone thought I was an octopus... even though there were 16 tentacles. I had a blast though!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:00 am

I'm thinking of doing some traveling over the uni's spring break (12-21st March). I was thinking of doing some milling about the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland again, along with perhaps visiting the "Secret Nuclear Bunker" at Kelvedon Hatch in England along with whatever old ROC observation post may be open for touring (I'm a bit of a Cold War buff in the civil defense area). Of course I'm just brainstorming at this point.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:38 am

Shockingly, I vote for Fiji, Australia and New Zealand :-P
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :