THE HAILING FREQUENCY

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby Noonan McKane » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:09 pm

Use this to just say "Hi" to whoever else is around, to communicate some point of import or to just let people know what kind of day you've had.

(Remember, though, this isn't the bloody Samaritans; We don't want to know about your failed marriage or how you're being bullied by the other members of your badminton club who keep breaking into your locker and pissing in your plimsolls.)
i shouted out 'who killed the kennedys?' when after all it was you and me
Noonan McKane
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:29 pm

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->EDIT: The first few pages of this thread have lost their narrative due to some posts being deleted. It gets sensible at some point, honest. Just join in at the end somewhere.
<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<!--QuoteBegin-Noonan McKane+Dec 12 2004, 02:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Noonan McKane @ Dec 12 2004, 02:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--> OK.

Picture the scene: It's the Champion's League, 2001/02 season. Juventus V Celtic, the opening group match, in Turin. At half time, Juve were 2-0 up and Celtic looked out of it.
Celtic, however, (being Celtic) totally laid into them, 2nd half; and by the end of 90 minutes, it was 2-2. The board showed 3 mins to be added.

About 2 mins into this injury time, a ball is played forward, into Celtic's box. It's been hopelessly sclaffed, however, and is at a hight of about 50ft as it crosses Celtic's goal line.

Celtic defender Johan Mjallby, who had been very close to one of the Juve forwards, sees the ball sail away overhead and absentmindedly leans his whole weight on the insubstantial Italian forward, who of course hits the deck like he's been shot. Astonishingly, the ref gives Juve a penalty and Celtic lose a match they should have drawn, possibly won.

How could the ref rule that an offence had been knowingly committed? <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
If the ball is in play and an offence is committed in the box, it's a penalty. No debate there. That it was accidental is incidental, it's deemed as 'careless', meaning he shouldn't be cautioned but it's still a foul.

Had another game today, was much more enjoyable than the first two, now the nerves have gone. Before the game the captain came up and reminded me to give them a dodgy penalty. In jest, I said "Are you sure that'll be enough?". "Better make it two then", he chuckled. I gave them two dodgy penalties and they won 4-0.
Last edited by elko on Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:45 pm

Only one of them. My dad was the linesman! (I don't think he liked it when I overruled his desicions).
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:07 pm

No, he was just giving me a lift there, but they had no subs, so he ran the line for one team. Anyway, enough about me and football, whats going down in Edinburgh?
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:21 pm

I didn't know that you lived in Ayrshire, but yes I do know where it is (somewhere down the bottom right). As I didn't know where you lived, I just picked a city. Sorry if I've offended your little principality. So what is going on in Ayr and the surrounding shanty towns?
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Noonan McKane+Dec 14 2004, 12:22 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Noonan McKane @ Dec 14 2004, 12:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> You are SO lucky that I like you, you cheeky get! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
What have I done now?!

I though Scotland was a third world country. Maybe I should say 'developing', it's more PC.

Enough of this sterotyping - What is going on? How was your day? How is miserableliar, if he is still there?
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:06 am

Nah, there wasn't time, I didn't get up till two. I wrote what can only be described as a masterpiece, then decided it was shite. I tried and failed to find a poem. I cooked tea. I played 5-a-side, and scored a few. That is all I have done today.
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:33 am

Wha?! 6.45! Only farmers and pesants get up at that hour! Although being Scottish, it's quite probable you're both.
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:25 pm

Could it possibly be I have out witted you?!?

Yeh, I would go with Hatful anyday over The Smiths, the recordings are more pure (just compare the two Reel Around The Fountains), and the tracks are off a higher quality. This Night Has Opened My Eyes and Please Please Please.. are far better than songs like The Hand That Rocks The Cradle and Miserable Lie in my opinion.
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:08 pm

I don't consider Hatful to be a comp because I bought it before The Smiths, and obviously I wasn't aware which songs had been singles - they all sounded fresh. Girl Afraid is inded fantastic, I'm pretty sure it was a session, certainly it sounds like one.

In older times a 'porridge drawer' in crofters kitchens dressers was filled with fresh cooked porridge and when cold was cut into squares for the crofter to take onto the hills for sustenance. [Maybe the origin of the snack lies here and 'snacking was a Scottish invention as well].
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Noonan McKane+Dec 14 2004, 09:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Noonan McKane @ Dec 14 2004, 09:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Remember we were discussing the 'Paul is dead' thing, and that predominantly American pursuit known as 'Beatleology', where dozy twats with too much time on their hands endlessly scour The Beatles' catalogue for 'hidden meanings'?

Well, I had a bit of time to myself this afternoon, and so decided to try my hand at 'Smithsology'.

Initial studies failed to produce any evidence of any of The Smiths having died in secret, but there are encouraging signs of 'hidden messages'

To wit:

* NUMBERS: The lyrics of the opening numbers of all of the studio LP's contain numbers. Two of these are the same ('eighteen', in 'The Queen Is Dead' and 'A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours'). The others are 'fifteen' and 'two'.

*PLACES: The following place names: Manchester (twice), Birkenhead, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside, London (at least four times), Leeds, Birmingham, Carlisle, Newport Pagnell.
(Suburbs of Manchester: Whalley Range, Rusholme (in a title but not a lyric), Ancoats (in the pseudonym "Ann Coats", in the credits of 'Strangeways...')

.....as I say, this research is still very much in it's infancy and I dare say I've overlooked a great deal, so, ANORAKS ON, PEOPLE! Let's build us a degree course! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sounds fascinating.
Might open up a new thread for Smithsology, as you put it.
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:21 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Noonan McKane+Dec 14 2004, 09:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Noonan McKane @ Dec 14 2004, 09:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Rearrange these words into a sentence:

WHAT GOD'S NAME IN TALKING ABOUT ARE YOU FREAK MENTAL YOU?

(This post relates to your 'porridge drawer' gem, by the way!) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Just more prood that every single person in Scotland is not quite right (and addicted to porridge).
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:23 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Noonan McKane+Dec 14 2004, 09:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Noonan McKane @ Dec 14 2004, 09:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Oh! More Smithsology!

Their last LP opens with the word "Hello". Their 2nd last with the word "Farewell"...

Significant? I call it downright spooky!!!!! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Very. Now if you could work out what the hell it all points to, you might be on to something.
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:38 pm

And then you woke up? That sort of thing doesn't happen in real life, least not round these parts. Maybe is true about England having most beautiful horses...
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:30 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Have I wandered into a 'Carry On' film? Why are these ladies speaking to me thusly?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hahah! I can't think of anything remotely interesting to say to that, but it's funny.

I'm a little concerned that we're hogging this thread somewhat, aren't you? All we've talked about so far is footy and now you're bringing breasts to the party. Maybe we could discuss feminism or something.
elko
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Chat