Star Wars

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby Still Ill » Thu May 19, 2005 3:06 pm

Well I have to admit I've been waiting forever for this last episode. Anyone else? It's playing around the clock here now and shows are selling out. We won't be able to see it until next weekend, but my kids are frothing at the mouth. For all those naysayers, I tell them that there is a story underneath it all, one of the best examples of good vs. evil.

Hello to anyone out there. Noonan, you still there?
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Noonan McKane » Thu May 19, 2005 5:32 pm

I am/was, StillIll. Sorry, I seem to have missed you. I was posting an answer to a question elsewhere, in my usual concise, to-the-point manner (I arsed about for about an hour over it!)

'Star Wars', yes, me too. Very much looking forward to it. I've been a big fan since I first saw it.

I'm hoping it's true what's being said about 'Revenge Of The Sith', though. That it's a return to form. I was very disappointed by 'The Phantom Menace' and 'Attack Of The Clones'. I didn't feel they had anything whatsoever to do with the three films I know and love from 1977-1983. They're too complicated and cluttered. Seem to be trying far too hard to dazzle.
And they have FAR too much CGI. They just don't look like 'Star Wars'. As I recall, the only shot in Lucas's 1977 film which could be described as computer generated is the 'pilot's eye' view of the Millennium Falcon accelerating to lightspeed, when all the stars blur and streak past the windscreen. I'm sure I read somewhere that even though the actual image was rendered by a computer, all the trails of light had to be etched by hand and the 1.5 second sequence took something like six weeks to make. I think the subsequent advances in technology, which seem to have been deployed on every single frame of episodes I & II, make them look like cheaper films, definitely not better ones. There's simply nothing on the screen to marvel at any more. It's all too huge and sleek and dazzling and perfect and predictable.
All of this quite apart from the fact that George Lucas seemed, sadly, to have outgrown his ability to write stories with the simplicity of the 'goodies V baddies/all's well that ends well' plots of his beloved Saturday matinees, which had drawn dreamers of all ages into the cinema in such huge numbers back in 1977.

Here's hoping.....
i shouted out 'who killed the kennedys?' when after all it was you and me
Noonan McKane
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Thu May 19, 2005 5:57 pm

I will definitely go to see it, but I read n the times that its just as bad as the other two new star wars films. I don't normally trust critics, but I am really praying that he is wrong about this. The first three were some of the best films ever, and the new ones have been frankly disappointing. It would have been nice to end the saga on a high note.
But I haven't seen it, and so I can't pass judgement.
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu May 19, 2005 10:33 pm

It's never interested me in the slightest, but I got dragged along to see The Phantom Menace and thought it was not just shit, but boring.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Fri May 20, 2005 2:45 am

You're a tough nut to crack! To be perfectly fair, you saw one of the worst episodes. You won't appreciate any of the storyline unless you start with the first one. So I understand when you say you got roped into seeing it. Really I do. Jar Jar Binks should have never made his debut.

Noonan, I totally agree with all you say about the theatrics of movie-making nowadays, SW, in particular. According to Lucas, the younger generation generally favor the new episodes, the older ones liking the original three. The first three almost looks cheesy now, compared to the recent episodes, BUT all the fancy technology tries to steal the show, thereby overshadowing the storyline. Never been sold on Portman and Hayden's performances (he does appear to be more solid in his brooding transition, we'll see). Episodes 3 and 4 are still the best, so I'm a little skeptical about this one, though I'm going along with all the hype. Still, the promo scene where Vadar is told to 'Rise' sends chills...
Last edited by Still Ill on Fri May 20, 2005 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:04 am

Psh-- it's ALL about Star TREK :P
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Eight of nine lives » Fri May 18, 2007 9:15 am

Pashernate_Lover wrote:Psh-- it's ALL about Star TREK :P

You resurrected a 2 year old thread for that? Well, it's about Star Wars, thus worth it!

I love Star Wars. The films, the books, the videogames, forums, role playing, whatever. I'm a nerd for it all.

Star Trek is decent. I like DS9. But Star Wars kicks it's ass in terms of story and entertainment value. :D
Eight of nine lives
Regular

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Fri May 18, 2007 5:08 pm

Eight of nine lives wrote:<!--quoteo(post=40251:date=Apr 15 2007, 08:04 PM:name=Pashernate_Lover)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pashernate_Lover @ Apr 15 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]40251[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Psh-- it's ALL about Star TREK :P

You resurrected a 2 year old thread for that? Well, it's about Star Wars, thus worth it!

I love Star Wars. The films, the books, the videogames, forums, role playing, whatever. I'm a nerd for it all.

Star Trek is decent. I like DS9. But Star Wars kicks it's ass in terms of story and entertainment value. :D
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Heh-- have you ever seen the Extras clip with Patrick Stewart? It is so wonderfully trashy! He is so bizarre :lol: <a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGf9Hc-KpAA" target="_blank">So funny!!</a>

And yes, I am one to resurrect old threads every 8 or so months in a giant sweep-- when things lull I like to stir them up a bit :)
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Ishihara » Fri May 18, 2007 8:37 pm

Pashernate_Lover wrote:And yes, I am one to resurrect old threads every 8 or so months in a giant sweep-- when things lull I like to stir them up a bit :)

I do that too sometimes...

Anyway I met R2D2, Uncle Ben, and Lando...
...Ishiara has spoken!
ImageImageImage
Ishihara
Supreme

Return to General Chat