The Current Affairs Thread

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby elko » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:34 pm

For discussion of whatever's going on in the news, be it big or small.

E.g., Micheal Jackson being acquitted on all charges. Surely y'all have an opinion on it?
elko
Site Admin

Postby this_charming_girl » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:21 pm

i think its ridiculous that they found him not guilty on every single charge. the accusations cant have been completely brought about out of thin air, what child would want to stand up and say that they had been given alcohol and molested?! even if your parents tell you to do that a child wouldnt do it if there's no truth behind it at all, thats my opinion anyway.

im not suprised they found him not guilty though, the jury are obviously going to be swayed by the fact that he's micheal jackson, if it was just a random guy letting kids sleep in his bed, whether there is malicious intent or not, he would have been in prison ages ago.
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:33 pm

This whole story is definitely making me sick. I cannot know if the accusations are true, of course, I do not know whether Michael Jackson is a child molester or whether his problems are rooted elsewhere, but I do think there's something deeply wrong with this guy. <!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo-->
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:48 pm

well said! i definately think that even though he's been cleared, someone should advise him to see a psychiatrist or something, because he does obviously have issues that need adressing!
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:51 pm

I'm sure Mj had some sort of plan for swaying the jury, and settling with the families. <!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo--> $$$$$$ <!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo-->
However I'm sure he is guilty, and was very surprised to hear he didnt get convicted over plying minors with alchohol.
However he will face his own punishment. He will be seen as even more of a freak now. He has no hope of ever becoming a respected celebrity again(if such people exist). He always going to be " that peado with the screwed up face"
Last edited by The Boy with a thorn in his side on Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:56 pm

i don't really see why anyone should be saying for definite that he is guilty cause noone knows what actually happened. i think yes, maybe he does have a few mental issues, but that doesn't necessarily make him a pervert. if he wants to get help for any personal issues he might have then he do that himself, he shouldn't have people telling him he has to do it. going to a psychiatrist or a doctor isn't forced upon anybody.

and i also don't reckon the judge or the jury just let him off because 'he's michael jackson'. i really did think he was going to be found guilty. you've got a little boy saying that kind of stuff, it's actually pretty likely they're gonna go in his favour. so i don't think they just did it for that reason.

hmph... <!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo-->

having said that he might well be guilty. i just don't think everyone should assume they know what definitely happened because they don't.
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mr-Shankly » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-the_queen_is_dead+Jun 14 2005, 05:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the_queen_is_dead @ Jun 14 2005, 05:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i don't really see why anyone should be saying for definite that he is guilty cause noone knows what actually happened. i think yes, maybe he does have a few mental issues, but that doesn't necessarily make him a pervert. if he wants to get help for any personal issues he might have then he do that himself, he shouldn't have people telling him he has to do it. going to a psychiatrist or a doctor isn't forced upon anybody.

and i also don't reckon the judge or the jury just let him off because 'he's michael jackson'. i really did think he was going to be found guilty. you've got a little boy saying that kind of stuff, it's actually pretty likely they're gonna go in his favour. so i don't think they just did it for that reason.

hmph... <!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo-->

having said that he might well be guilty. i just don't think everyone should assume they know what definitely happened because they don't. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Erm no he might not well be guilty. He's been aquitted in a court of law by 12 peers. Who heard all the evidence. Me or you haven't.
Names, secret names. But never in my favour.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:56 pm

well no, there's always a chance the judge and jury could be wrong. no one can prove it unless they were there. they heard the evidence and weighed it up. doesn't mean they're necessarily right. but doesn't mean they're necessarily wrong either.
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:00 am

I wondered if anyone was going to mention this. The verdict was read as most of you in Europe were about to go to bed. You beat me to it!
The verdict was not a surprise to most. To convict a celebrity these days, the prosecution clearly faces a much heavier burden of proof. Yes, only the jurors and everyone else in the courtroom knows for sure what was presented as evidence, which a lot apparently was, BUT, as the subsequent interviews with the jurors clearly showed, the focus of the trial shifted to the accuser's mother. She was the Mark Furman of the O.J. Simpson trial. The jurors said her lack of credibility pretty much dictated that the allegations were not proven beyond a reasonable doubt. blah, blah, blah, and so on. They didn't like her, it didn't matter that Jackson most likely participated in unacceptable behavior. They said so! I'll paraphrase a juror's response, "How could any mother allow a child to attend a sleepover with that kind of stuff going on?" Not guilty, on ALL counts. Unbelievable. So OJ, Robert Blake and Jackson can now enjoy a round of golf together.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Beorn_J » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:44 pm

just to clarify

it was all about trying to decide whether he molested children on that particular occassion, not to decide whether he is a weirdo, or even if he is a molestor (though that would add dtongly to the case)

there just wasnt enough compelling evidence against him
Beorn_J
Supreme

Postby tallulahtaurus » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:18 pm

god i am upset at the micheal jackson hate, did any of you actually watch the trial coverage??? cos i did and i'll be damned if i believed anyone who was connected with the accusations, all these scandlous people who only remember now that they saw kids abused...(if it was true the shame of not reporting it is appalling) and claim that someone was abused when he claims otherwise (i'm thinking of macualey culkin here).

the mother formed a large amount of the case because necessarily it was her conduct that led to the charges being filed and undoubtedly she has large sway over her sons behaviour....and if she lies she could induce him to...and lets face it she was nuttier than a fruitcake...she was claiming MJ threatened to put her family in a hot air balloon...that moment was so priceless that from that point on i knew he couldn't be convicted!!

the entire case seemed to be a nonsense although MJ is mentally retarded...he is not necessarily a pervert and they need stronger evidence than $ accusers to convince me otherwise...i mean these are people who care so much about their children that they let them share a bed with a 40+ man!!!! at the end the idea is innocent until proven guilty, he was not proven guilty thus he is only one thing, like it or not...!!
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:53 pm

So, Britain has the Olympic games! <!--emo&:B-->Image<!--endemo-->

Well, London really, and it's not till 2012, but still, it's a good achievement I think.

<a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/front_page/4655555.stm' target='_blank'>http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/front_page/4655555.stm</a>
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:01 am

Was hoping London beat out Paris! Looks like a lot revitalizing will be done, which is always good for any city. 2012 sounds so far away though.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:40 pm

And today has been an entirely different day for London.

I'm sure everyone has heard by now, apparently the final death toll is thought to be around forty people.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:46 pm

What awful irony, such a terrible tragedy. I've been somewhat glued to the news this morning. And I had thought last night, how great to post something exciting, to replace the whole Jackson thing.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to General Chat