[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - The Current Affairs Thread

The Current Affairs Thread

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby chicken » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:00 pm

so it's been almost a month since the big bombing there in london.
and apparently lots of other terrorist activities continue there in england.

i need to find myself a book on the newer research on terrorism....such a dark thing to unravel.

are they any closer to catching the culprits?

i have an inside source in the US military. i'm not supposed to know this, but i do:
recently three "arabic men" were apprehended just outside a military base. they were making records of flight times of heavy bombers and such taking off and landing. oh yeah....they also had an RPG with them. this incident did NOT make it to ANY form of american media. makes me wonder how frequently this is taking place and no one in the public ever finds out.

i suppose now i know what it's like to be a mushroom: kept in the dark and fed sh*t.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-chicken+Aug 3 2005, 04:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chicken @ Aug 3 2005, 04:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> so it's been almost a month since the big bombing there in london.
and apparently lots of other terrorist activities continue there in england.

i need to find myself a book on the newer research on terrorism....such a dark thing to unravel.

are they any closer to catching the culprits?

i have an inside source in the US military. i'm not supposed to know this, but i do:
recently three "arabic men" were apprehended just outside a military base. they were making records of flight times of heavy bombers and such taking off and landing. oh yeah....they also had an RPG with them. this incident did NOT make it to ANY form of american media. makes me wonder how frequently this is taking place and no one in the public ever finds out.

i suppose now i know what it's like to be a mushroom: kept in the dark and fed sh*t. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
RPG? I'm thinking Zelda, but I guess it has another meaning.

I think all four would-be bombers from the 21st July scares have been caught, though one is in Italy. I should think that information from them could lead to more information on the 7th July attacks.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:58 am

<!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo--> I'd been up early a couple of days ago to witness the landing of the space shuttle on TV, "Discovery is home", and shared it here not long after, but my post is gone. Must've been when the server shut down. Wanted to share with everyone in case no one noticed, seems the shuttle missions don't attract much news attention anymore. I still vividly remember the Columbia and Challenger disasters, unfortunately.

Hooray for the successful rescue of the Russian sub. Our naval people here in San Diego helped the British out on that mission.
Last edited by Still Ill on Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:58 am

I've spent some time watching in horror all the destruction caused by the hurricane down in the South. People should have no fear of earthquakes here in the West, period. It's awful. I can't help thinking that from a global standpoint, there'll be some kind of guarded sympathy shown because it happened in the States. Awful thing to say I know, I guess it's just a knee-jerk reaction.
Last edited by Still Ill on Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:36 am

Thing is, the City of New Orleans have seen this coming.
This was the second time it was in denger of flooding, its amazing that some people decided to stay.
The world's climate is getting worse every year. <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->
Hopefully noone here has been affected in any way by this tragedy, and R.I.P to all who died.
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:43 am

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The world's climate is getting worse every year. sad.gif <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it's getting disasterous,the climate, no less... <!--emo&:ph34r:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:43 pm

More bad news...
<a href='http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050831/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_050831143538' target='_blank'>Click</a>
Its beyond me why things such as this have to happen.
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-The Boy with a thorn in his side+Aug 31 2005, 03:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Boy with a thorn in his side @ Aug 31 2005, 03:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> More bad news...
<a href='http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050831/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_050831143538' target='_blank'>Click</a>
Its beyond me why things such as this have to happen. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
i'm glad someone put up a post about that.
i suspect it would cause an international uproar if such a tragedy happened at the vatican, but alas...."they" are "only" moslems.

why do these things happen?
fear.
the people were afraid of a terrorist.
the terrorist is afraid he won't have a voice.
the imperialist is afraid he won't be in control.
because, afterall, being in control means you have nothing to fear, right?
....eeerrrmmm....excpet someone else having more control.

people stayed in new orleans because they were afraid they'd loose their homes.
and new orleans is built below sea level because...well...because of sheer idiocy. for the life of me, i cannot fathom why an oceanside city would be built below sea level.

ed, the trick is that these things don't "have" to happen. they do out of human choice, out of our free will---which, once enslaved to our precious little egos, becomes a hideous wretched thing.

(shameless plug for buddhism would seem appropriate here, but i won't do it)
oh wait, too late <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> tee hee!!
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:18 pm

We really are insanely violent as a race on the whole.
Destroying our own planet, and its inhabitants.
I despair at humanity sometimes.
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:51 pm

And so the plot thickens...
<a href='http://www.pnionline.com/dnblog/attytood/archives/002331.html' target='_blank'>Click</a>
So Dubya took money out of a project to strengthen the levees to fight against terrorism.
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:24 pm

does anyone wonder if the "war on terror" is working? or if it is doing more harm than good? if america does something to muslims, like detaining and torturing them (guantamano bay etc), or kills them in iraq, doesn't that just give them yet another reason to hate the west?
i really can't see why iraq was invaded in the first place, what did that have to do with ending terrorism? wheres the link between saddam hussein and al-quaeda? i think what is going on is terrible and its even worse cos it doesnt seem to have any legitimate reason behind it...

helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:49 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-helmoz+Sep 1 2005, 04:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (helmoz @ Sep 1 2005, 04:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i really can't see why iraq was invaded in the first place, <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Oil and power are my two main theories.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->does anyone wonder if the "war on terror" is working? or if it is doing more harm than good? if america does something to muslims, like detaining and torturing them (guantamano bay etc), or kills them in iraq, doesn't that just give them yet another reason to hate the west?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Its just become a vicious cycle, some Middle Eastern terrorists commit acts of terror, The US government sends an army to Iraq, they fight back, US Army bombs.... Until we reach the point we're are at the moment. A large number of Iraqis and Afghans hating western culture, and plenty of westerners who have islamophobia.
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:46 pm

having just found this i so badly want to get into a politicla discussion. it's been too long. however, i'm knackered, so next time i'm on hopefully i'll remember out this and rant on about politics till i'm blue in the face.

or red is more likely. i'll just get hot from typing..somehow.
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-helmoz+Sep 1 2005, 04:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (helmoz @ Sep 1 2005, 04:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->does anyone wonder if the "war on terror" is working? or if it is doing more harm than good? if america does something to muslims, like detaining and torturing them (guantamano bay etc), or kills them in iraq, doesn't that just give them yet another reason to hate the west?
i really can't see why iraq was invaded in the first place, what did that have to do with ending terrorism? wheres the link between saddam hussein and al-quaeda? i think what is going on is terrible and its even worse cos it doesnt seem to have any legitimate reason behind it...<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
those are some really fine questions helmoz.

ed, you are correct with the oil and power theories. there's also the theory that dubbya was trying to finish off saddam because his pappy couldn't do it while he was in office. (he's trying to make dear ol' dad proud of him, because he knows he has the IQ of the family dog and pops is disappointed in having an utter dolt for a son.)

so i guess all sorts of nations are offering tons of help. EVEN venezuela is--remember, that's where Chavez is their president, the same fellow one of our religious leaders recently said we should assassinate him. HA, the irony in that is tremendous. plus, he knew what to offer, not just emergency response teams, but also cheap fuel. that was a keen move because now if dubbya refuses it, virtually any american who drives a car is gonna be very angry.

even fidel castro, long-time 'enemy' of the US, held a minute of silence for the victims of Katrina in their parliment. then their normal business of bashing bush and his policies proceded. that's so incredibly cool, IMHO. it's nice to know that he realizes not all americans are bush-ites and are true victims of nature's wrath and fury.

dubbya is under some serious scrutiny and criticism right now. while he devotes close to 2 billion dollars/month to the war in iraq, he has totally ignored the experts who have said all along: "hey, this wall to keep new orleans dry is woefully insufficient and needs to be rebuilt." he has the lowest support ever, most americans are wondering wtf we're doing in iraq, and our economy is going to hell in a handbasket.

and to answer your question about the war on terror working or not: it's not. war against terrorism is NOT the answer. personally, i think the only solution to the islamophobia (great term ed) is to do what pope John Paul II tried to do: reach an understanding, apologise for the past atrocities, agree to disagree, and learn to live in peace.
that's the first time a pontiff entered a muslim place of worship. EVER.

and, let's not forget that today marks the one year anniversay of the terrorist atrocity in russia, at the belsan school. i found my file in the office today of the pictures and presentation i did for my classes last year because of this, and it made me really want to cry.
killing children excited for their first day of school is really chickenshit.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:26 pm

it is really unfair that it is innocent people, like the children in the beslan seige or the commuters in the london bombings, who suffer because of terrorists who dont like the decisions made by politicians. world leaders can do what they like, theyre not the ones who suffer, its ordinary people who have nothing to do with them.

helmoz
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat