[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - The Current Affairs Thread

The Current Affairs Thread

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby chicken » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:36 pm

Last edited by chicken on Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Ishihara » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:24 am

...Ishiara has spoken!
ImageImageImage
Ishihara
Supreme

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:32 am

please tell me you were joking there, Shin. And if you were, it wasn't funny. At all. And if you weren't- what the hell is wrong with you? You can't actually believe that- its not only evil but insane, people are people and politicians are politicians, and although it is true that politicians are people, it is not true that they are always accurate representations of the people of their country. Shit man- please tell me that was a very tasteless, unfunny joke.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:10 pm

If I'd have known this message would cause such a "forum riot" I would have not even posted that news about a possible war in Iran. Shintaro man, I second Pashy's sentiments: I hope you were joking, but that joke was not funny at all. You were talking about ethnic cleansing, one of the most harsh crimes any regime can ever commit.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Ishihara » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:14 am

...Ishiara has spoken!
ImageImageImage
Ishihara
Supreme

Postby Mr-Shankly » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:58 pm

Names, secret names. But never in my favour.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:30 pm

elko
Site Admin

Postby Ishihara » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:34 am

Last edited by Ishihara on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
...Ishiara has spoken!
ImageImageImage
Ishihara
Supreme

Postby Boxguy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:49 am

Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:45 am

point of order: i move that any further discussion of the above matter be carried out in pm's.

second motion:
men like this have been arrested and imprisoned in Myanmar (Burma) this week.
it's a long and complicated story, but it ends with a militaristic regieme and how simple honest people suffer to put it to an end.
go to youtube and see if they still have the video of the japanese journalist being gunned down in the street. (be warned, the clip i caught was enough for me to sense bile :( :( )
the whole situation is under the UN microscope (and if you are anti-UN, you should realize that the situation is under the microscope of virtually every globally-aware nation).
i think it was friday when Myanmar cut off all cellular and internet access to/from the country. <--stop and think about how YOU would react to that.
i know that sometimes my attention is too attracted by things of this nature, but the cool thing is that it results in awareness of people like <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aung_San_Suu_Kyi" target="_blank">this</a> who seem to be among the ranks of MLK Jr and Gandhi;
which is to say,
i like hanging out with these peeps :D

if you have anything extra, please wish it to those monks because they're just trying to do what's best for their people.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Ishihara » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:32 pm

...Ishiara has spoken!
ImageImageImage
Ishihara
Supreme

Postby chicken » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:09 pm

Namaste!

from the BBC website:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->About 4,000 monks have been rounded up in the past week as the military government has tried to stamp out pro-democracy protests.

They are being held at a disused race course and a technical college.

Sources from a government-sponsored militia said they would soon be moved away from Rangoon.

The monks have been disrobed and shackled, the sources told BBC radio's Burmese service. There are reports that the monks are refusing to eat.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[edit #1]:
to say the monks have been "rounded up" is a sick euphamism:
:(

[edit #2]:
heavens, i just can't leave this topic alone :blink:
<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenji_Nagai" target="_blank">Kenji Nagai</a> was the first international casualty.

apparently a 50 year old journalist is a threat, eh?

hell, this whole situation is FUBAR'd.

*goes to sit in the corner, fuming, listening to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan in an effort to feel okay again*
Last edited by chicken on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Ishihara » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:02 pm

...Ishiara has spoken!
ImageImageImage
Ishihara
Supreme

Postby chicken » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:01 am

the wikipedia article on this event says military forces loaded their fire engines with pesticide, villagers have been forced to appear as monks in support of the military regime at staged protests, at one monastery the monks were forced at gunpoint outside while their heads were smashed on stone walls while hundreds of citizens were prevented from helping, some sources estimate the dead in the thousands, and the internet has been crucial to this event in more ways that one.

i guess the PM of Maynmar died either today or yesterday from Leukemia. who's next there?
also, key people from the military dictatorship have defected and are seeking asylum in Europe.

hopefully China will "lean" on the Maynmar Big Brother more and more to get this under control.
this is a weird living history lesson to learn :ph34r:

chicken
Smiths Nut!

Re: The Current Affairs Thread

Postby chicken » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:27 am

thoughts about the presidential election for the United States?
chicken
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat