-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Re: The Current Affairs Thread

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:38 pm

I think the whole world is right to follow the elections with interest, since US politics have an influence upon the whole world, unlike other countries where local politics will only affect those who live in the country.

I hope for a victory of Obama. He seems by far the most caring and most humane candidate of all. One of the reasons why I would prefer Obama is that he seems to not like capital punishment really, which makes him my prefered candidate ahead of Cliton and the other Democrats (I fear Hillary will just continue the policies of Bill, who actually signed laws making federal capital punishment easier applicable). Also, a black president would be good for the situation of all black people in the US I think, they would have someone to look up to, someone showing them that colour of skin will not stop you to achieve the highest goals in life. And, although this may be naive to believe in, a black president may also bring a change of mentality into people's heads and work as a deterrant against racism. His opinions on the war in Iraq (he seems really against it and really mean it) also quite please me. I think Obama in the white house could bring the change and fresh air that both the US and the entire world could benefit from.

Although I would say any Democrat would be fine and would be a drastical improvement to the current situation, amongst the Democrats I would vote Obama.

And definitely NO new Republican in the white house! This party represents all ideals that IMO should have disappeared long time ago... time to put a stop to their conservatism, bring on a Democrat again please.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:50 am

Alive, the anti-death penalty organisation I am a member of, is heading to the States very soon. We have been confirmed a meeting with the Governor of Texas (!) and the board of our organisation is also going to visit several inmates on death row. Purpose is of course in priority to get a few of their sentences communted (which we succeeded in in the past a few times) but of course a general statement against capital punishment will be made as well.

I am probably naive in thinking it will make a lot of difference to the minds of local politicians, but every life we can save is another moral victory. And being agreed a meeting with the state governor means something... So who knows? I guess when you're member of an organisation like this, you just need to be somewhat idealistic and hoping for the best even when you are sceptic. Constant research about depressing subjects like this are not something you're doing when you don't believe you can make a difference. I am quite sceptic this governor will be really impressed, but if we can get a few people saved again like we did before, then the trip will have been worth every single moment.

PS: not making the travel myself. I am just a regular member, this sort of meetings with state officials is something the board of the organisation does. I don't think I could make the trip myself really, visiting death row is something that would just get me depressed for months I'm afraid. But a big kudos to our board who are doing this, and I hope they can get some result.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:34 pm

Same for me in the elections, so long as it's a Democrat I don't mind that much who it is. Great that there is a female candidate and a black candidate and everything, but how long until there is an athiest President?
elko
Site Admin

Postby Truman Capote » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:09 pm

Well, what's so good about Hillary Clinton? I don't really get it at all, it's just stupid to vote for her. What's the deal? Why her? Who's she?
She will win just because she's a woman, yeah, everybody's doing that nowadays and it works, put a woman there and she will win. Oh, it's soooo liberal! :roll:
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:19 pm

The one thing I hear Hillary supporters say constantly is that she has more experience than Obama. On the campaign trail she touts her 35 years of "experience", but she never goes into detail on what that experience actually is. Most likely it's due to the fact that it includes things such as serving on the board of directors of Wal-Mart, which is probably the greatest tester of the limits of employment law in the US.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby elko » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:51 pm

Hah! I did not know that... Wal-Mart are pretty terrible. It's really annoying how every politician at this level (in the UK and the US) seems to have personal links to big business. So you know that their policies are never going to be looking after the little guys first.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:05 pm

Well, if this election goes anything like the history of the vote in the US, Obama will win because our country tends to trust men over women. Black men got the vote then all women did, so I am guessing if it is going to be one of the two it will be Obama over Clinton because of course when a man has strong stances on politics (which it is arguable about Obama) then he is a strong leader, but if women do then they are just bitches or robots or whatever the hell else everyone is saying at the moment. Honestly, either one is fine with me though- the US needs a president that represents more of the US than the typical old white protestant male.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:40 am

Pashy, I think you're right.
And I do want to say that Hillary has her selling points, no doubt. She is not a noob.

I'm glad to see the number of people cheering for the Democrats. That McCain character iz teh :o :cry:
TC: indeed, like the US is a really for-ward thinking nation by FINALLY having something other than a white man to vote for. Ha. When old man Bush was in office I was known for saying that I would have preferred his wife as President to him :D no lie :D
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:32 am

CLINTON IS A BITCH!
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:49 am

I disagree, I think she is a relatively solid politician and that bitchiness isn't necessarily a bad thing.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:38 am

Truman Capote wrote:CLINTON IS A BITCH!

I was just been inocently outrageous, alright? Not agressive or something like that. I think you should know... but maybe not...
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:50 pm

elko wrote:Hah! I did not know that... Wal-Mart are pretty terrible. It's really annoying how every politician at this level (in the UK and the US) seems to have personal links to big business. So you know that their policies are never going to be looking after the little guys first.

Well, Obama isn't fanatically religious. That is a start. He is religious but doesn't seem to really be fanatic about it.

A true atheist would never get elected as nobody in the southeastern states would vote for him. Declaring to be atheist means ruining your campaign before it well started. The better option is to avoid religion into your campaign and then come out for your godlessness once you're in the White House :P

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:16 am

So the Clintons are on their way to the White House again?? Although Obama has won more states on super tuesday, Hillary won the most important ones (NY and Cali) so it seems she has taken a giant leap towards becoming the Democrat candidate. Although the margins are still quite narrow, so I don't take Obama is out of the race yet. But Hillary is definitely in pole position now. I wonder if Bill is going to make a good First Lady :D

Well, as I said, any democrat would be fine for me. So good luck to Hillary or Obama, whoever it may be. As long as it won't be a republican.

By the way, kudos to Hillary to openly state she supports stem cell research. To make a clear stand on such a controversial issue on such an important day in the campaign, takes guts. Respect to that.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:48 pm

Cracked Pleasures wrote:So the Clintons are on their way to the White House again?? Although Obama has won more states on super tuesday, Hillary won the most important ones (NY and Cali) so it seems she has taken a giant leap towards becoming the Democrat candidate.

In the Democratic primaries and caucuses the delegates in each state are distributed per the percentage of votes that each candidate receives in that particular state's primary or caucus. Heading into yesterday Obama was ahead on delegates, and when it is all said and done, and the delegates are distributed from yesterday's primaries and caucuses, Obama may still have more delegates than Hillary. The reason why McCain ( :evil: ) is clearly the Republican frontrunner is because the Republican primaries and caucuses are winner take all, where the candidate receiving a majority in a state receives all of that state's delegates.
Boxguy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat