[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - The Current Affairs Thread

The Current Affairs Thread

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Re: The Current Affairs Thread

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:05 pm

Thanks for clarifying that. Here in Europe, most papers already wrote that Hillary is the big winner of the day and ready to be formally appointed as democrat candidate... But I guess our papers don't really have in-depth knowledge of the American electoral systems. If I understand it well, Obama may still be in pole position after what happened yesterday?

I wouldn't worry too much about McCain. I really don't see a republican get into the white house after the disaster of the last 4 (or should I say 8) years. If there was one single good thing about Dubya, it was that he opened the eyes of many people that the Republican party is not the way to progress. In a way he paved the path for a new democrat president, I don't have any crystal ball to look into the future but I would be surprised if the democrats don't win this elections with a rather clear margin.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:40 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7229830.stm

The BBC's tracker of delegates won puts Clinton ahead by 80, both of them needing over a thousand delegates for victory.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:40 pm

Interesting fact: the US law says to run for president, one must be born in the States. Having citizenship is not enough (hence why for example Schwarzenegger can not get any higher than governor of a state), you have to be born in the US.

Now this John McCain fella is born in the Panama Canal Zone. Which was at that time run by the US, but technically not US soil. So if the law is applied strictly, it is debatable if McCain should even be considered entitled to run for president. Now that makes an interesting debate: was the Panama Canal Zone official US soil, and were the "Zonians" thus considered born in the USA? If the answer to those is NO, then McCain should technically be excluded from the presential elections.

As a geography freak, I start to wonder now if anyone born in American Samoa, Virgin Islands, Guam or Puerto Rico could ever run for president. All US controlled, but technically outside of the true 50 states that make up the USA. So we could start debating if this McCain guy and anyone in the same situation are "american enough" to run for president. It clearly shows how absurd that law is that you need to be born in the USA to be a potential president. It is fully normal one has to hold citizenship, but technically someone who was born abroad while his American parents were on holiday cannot be a president??
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:42 pm

Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:55 pm

Its such a close vote! Geez-- its so exciting!!
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:23 pm

Ah yeah, the one I linked to hasn't been updated since last night. Your link makes me much happier :)
elko
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:29 pm

Well, the world has a new independent state to add to the list... or not?

Kosovo has declared independence yesterday. The new state has Pristina as capital and officially bears the name Republic of Kosovo.

However, the state is only de facto independent: they self-declared independence but still await international recognition as an independent state. I wonder if this will be a new case like Northern Cyprus, which is de facto sovereign but unrecognised apart from Turkey. Kosovo has the support of most EU nations and the US and Japan, so it seems likely that they will enter the UN soon or at least have sovereign diplomatic relations with lot of countries. However, Russia and China support Serbia's claim that Kosovo is Serbian soil ; Russia has threatened to recognise the independence of South Ossetia (which would anger US alley Georgia) in case the EU and US would effectively recognise Kosovo's sovereignity.

To be continued...

With or without UN membership, good luck to Kosovo as a new independent state, and may the war be over forever. I do hope they will get recognition soon, because an unrecognised state like Northern Cyprus usually suffers economical problems resulting from international boycotts and lack of diplomatic ties to other countries.

PS: I noticed a second ago that the wikipedia page for Kosovo already lists a picture of the newly adopted flag. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:09 pm

Woot for music!

the New York Philharmonic playing in North Korea is terrific, IMHO. it cracks me up that musicians are allowed where our politicians AREN'T. i'll bet money they can accomplish more than Condy Rice could in three months!!
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:06 pm

Ralph Nader is officially running for president as well again. You gotta give credit for his determination really, even though he probably has extremely little chance to win it. But respect that he keeps trying to chase his ideals.

I still think whoever represents the Democrats will win it. Although you never know one of the independent candidates takes some votes away from Obama or Clinton, and that is the last thing I'd like to see happening. Apart from that Ron Paul guy who seems somewhat reasonable, the republican candidates all seem so overconservative ...

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:11 am

Nader is silly for running if he's serious about seeing a change in government. All he's going to do is siphon votes from the democratic party and undeclared.

Obama made comments recently about people being "bitter". He's been bashed left and right by everyone.
:evil:
:cry: It saddens me when a politician is bashed for speaking the truth. People ARE bitter. When a well-respected poll says 81% of Americans think we are heading in the wrong direction, are we not to think some people bitter? What the heck?

I'm really interested to see how the Olympics play out in China. A delicate thing, that is. I'm really hoping the US doesn't do anything (else) stupid. :wink:
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:29 pm

I believe this coming Friday is Yom Hashoah, Holocaust Remembrance Day.

The red-neck in me says: "Wow, that means it's also "Punch-a-Nazi Day"!! YIPPEE"
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Re:

Postby Boxguy » Tue May 06, 2008 3:18 am

Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby elko » Tue May 06, 2008 3:26 pm

This is really terrible. It seems though that they have been forced by the sheer scale to accept international aid, which makes you think, how many lives was the number at which they decided they would let help in?
elko
Site Admin

Postby Boxguy » Wed May 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Even after accepting international aid they're making it difficult for foreign aid workers to obtain visas, further delaying emergency assistance.

Meanwhile this is the scene in the flooded fields:

Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Wed May 07, 2008 11:34 pm

chicken
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat