[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - The Current Affairs Thread

The Current Affairs Thread

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby Mr-Shankly » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:06 pm

<a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4652549.stm' target='_blank'>Tory leadership</a>

God help us all if Davies ever became Prime Minister.
Names, secret names. But never in my favour.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-helmoz+Sep 1 2005, 10:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (helmoz @ Sep 1 2005, 10:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> it is really unfair that it is innocent people, like the children in the beslan seige or the commuters in the london bombings, who suffer because of terrorists who dont like the decisions made by politicians. world leaders can do what they like, theyre not the ones who suffer, its ordinary people who have nothing to do with them. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think the idea is that it puts pressure on the government, and its just easier.
However I understand completely, and its the politicians who are really to blame. Just before the London Bombings, there were rebel cells attacking parliament areas, I thought that if the terrorists had attacked politicians then perhaps they would have gained some support within the country.

Chicken, yes forgive and forget is THE ONLY WAY forward from here, but Mr Bush doesnt seem like the type to say sorry, ever and without any real offical representative for the terror cells....
Even if peace can be declared between the religions extremists will still hate western soceity and many westerners will stay prejudiced against all muslims.
This situation isn't going to get better for a long long time, but the least we can do is try.

Chicken you mentioned the economy over there, and I wondered what sort of price you're paying for fuel over there right now? I know New Orleans was situated near a few oil rigs, and I know that at least one was washed into the city, stopped only by a bridge.
Also there is the problem with the contamination of crops, plague and so on, How bad do you think this situation is going to get?
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:07 pm

God. What is happening in New Orleans, it's shocking. I really don't have any other words for it.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:45 pm

I still continue to watch, it is utter chaos. I remember the reporters broadcasting the heart of New Orleans, saying the city dodged a bullet, the worst having hit Mississippi instead, only to see just a day later the waters rising, turning to the catastrophe no one thought could still occur.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-The Boy with a thorn in his side+Sep 2 2005, 06:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Boy with a thorn in his side @ Sep 2 2005, 06:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Chicken you mentioned the economy over there, and I wondered what sort of price you're paying for fuel over there right now? I know New Orleans was situated near a few oil rigs, and I know that at least one was washed into the city, stopped only by a bridge.
Also there is the problem with the contamination of crops, plague and so on, How bad do you think this situation is going to get?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
the real problem here with petrol prices isn't with the oil rigs themselves (or least, that does not create the immediate problem), as they simply provide the crude oil to be processed--and we've a huge stockpile of crude. the problem is with the oil refineries. we lost 10% of our oil refineries. last night i paid around $2.78/gallon; this morning it was up to $3.20. some places in the state of georgia are charging in excess of $5/gallon, and there's plenty of places in kentucky and such that have no petrol at all!! <!--emo&:ph34r:-->Image<!--endemo--> the experts are predicting over $4/gallon to be a national average soon enough. (no more joy riding in the porsche, that's for certain!!)

the contamination is already there, and is only going to get worse. raw sewage, fuel, etc. are floating all over the place in the flooded regions. once the disease from all the dead bodies begins, it's going to get much much worse. fetid rank water that will just cook and broil in the warm southern climes... <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->
new orleans is getting all of the attention, but there are entire cities in mississippi that are GONE. poof. gone. just rubble.

i saw a news clip of the rampaging gangs actually shooting at rescue helicopters. that utterly boggles me. in many ways, this is sociological history: productive and orderly civilization going into utter anarchy within three days.

ed, here's the real scene of our economy:
at the end of president clinton's term, our national deficit was low enough that if every american chipped in and paid $500, we would have had a clean slate.
right now, under dubbya, we would have to pay in $27,000 each to break even. and i still find all these people who support dubbya. i've the feeling that history will not shine a favourable light on his two terms in office. he's becoming more and more of a lame duck in office. but then again, i've spouted about this all along and am doing my best to avoid: i told you so!!

we are paying more every month for the war in iraq than what the federal government has allocated under emergency conditions to clean up the mess of katrina.

latest estimate says at least 80 days to drain off new orleans.

hurricane season ends in november. september historically is the worst part of the season. and the hurricane experts are saying we have >%50 chance of another huge one slamming us in september. the normal atmospheric conditions that prevent tropical depressions from becoming hurricanes are not working right now.

after 9-11, our government spent billions to establish a system to respond to national disasters. this has been their first test and by most accounts, they have failed miserably.

as much as this sucks, it's going to get worse.
suddenly kansas seems the right place to be.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:56 pm

Oh, God, I read this thread every single day with the intention of replying - and can never find the right words <!--emo&:ph34r:-->Image<!--endemo-->
I am simply dead worried and speechless.
Do people always have to see the worst forms of bad to realize things should be done diferently? Aren't there enough clues already?
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rubygirl+Sep 2 2005, 09:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rubygirl @ Sep 2 2005, 09:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Oh, God, I read this thread every single day with the intention of replying - and can never find the right words <!--emo&:ph34r:-->Image<!--endemo-->
I am simply dead worried and speechless.
Do people always have to see the worst forms of bad to realize things should be done diferently? Aren't there enough clues already? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
amen, sister.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mr-Shankly » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rubygirl+Sep 2 2005, 09:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rubygirl @ Sep 2 2005, 09:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> .
Do people always have to see the worst forms of bad to realize things should be done diferently? Aren't there enough clues already? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I know, the scars left by Thatchers regime should really be enough to ward people off evil right wingers like Davis. <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by Mr-Shankly on Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:15 pm

mr shankly-
we've had plenty of evil right wing idiots in office before.
and look who we have in office now!!
AGAIN!!!

omg.
there's something amiss in the gene pool here!!
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mr-Shankly » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-chicken+Sep 2 2005, 10:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chicken @ Sep 2 2005, 10:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->mr shankly-
we've had plenty of evil right wing idiots in office before.
and look who we have in office now!!
AGAIN!!!

omg.
there's something amiss in the gene pool here!!<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:37 pm

Chicken, those facts on the economy are scary, and you are right, things will only get worse.

The shooting of rescue helicopters I found both confusing and distressing, as was the fact that looters may now be shot.
By the way, has anyone else here in the UK, not sure if its the same over there, noticed that all the photos and footage of people looting is black people?
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mr-Shankly » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:42 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-The Boy with a thorn in his side+Sep 2 2005, 10:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Boy with a thorn in his side @ Sep 2 2005, 10:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> noticed that all the photos and footage of people looting is black people? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Is that any suprise with the sort of media the U.S. has?
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:43 pm

I didn't notice it, but now you mention it, yes. I would guess this is just because it's a city with a high proportion of black inhabitants? I doubt it's any media bias, if that's what you were thinking.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Mr-Shankly » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:46 pm

Anyway as I haven't slept for about 48 hours or so. I shall bid you all goodnight in here as it seems to be quite busy tonight <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:46 pm

hmm yes I had thought of that, but 'm sure white people are looting, and footgae of people being rescued often features white people.
I'm probably just reading too much into this, but its just an impression i got after seeing the photos and footage.
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat