[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - The Current Affairs Thread

The Current Affairs Thread

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:09 pm

Found this....
Now I'm not saying all of the media is rascist, but this is frankly sickening.
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm

ugh...ed, that is, indeed, sickening.
reminds me of the old don henley song: "dirty laundry".

how about a little good news. news good enough, in fact, to get you a little choked up!!

<a href='http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9230423/' target='_blank'>a story of survival and love</a>
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:23 pm

Heart-warming indeed.

I saw those photos Ed, it's just, horrid. Worse than that, but I get lost for words, really.
elko
Site Admin

Postby helmoz » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:56 pm

those pix remind me of the news reports on the tv here... soon after the hurricane and flooding, there were reports about "looting", showing dark-looking people looking for food... then recently, in all these "aftermath" reports we have now, there was a report with a white guy and his dog sniffing around in houses for food, and the voiceover described him as "searching" for food. i guess that bias is in the media on both sides of the atlantic.

helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mr-Shankly » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:54 pm

The police state is here......

<a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4291388.stm' target='_blank'>'Labour'</a>
Names, secret names. But never in my favour.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:30 pm

A shame to hear that Ronnie Barker has died.
<a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/473779.stm' target='_blank'>R.I.P Ronnie Barker</a>
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:25 pm

last week the fellow in charge of all maintenance at the college dropped by my office. he's 63 and very amiable. usually he drops by to tell me dirty jokes, but that day he flopped down in the chair in such a way as to turn on my intuitive "shrink radar." things at work were wonderful, but his home life is a disaster. we had a great talk, and eventually got around to social norms and such. i told him that IMHO, USA is a land of divisibility--a land of fences and TV dinners. civil archetecture prior to the 1960's was radically different as most homes were built with sprawling front porches that were simply another room in the house, and that was where people would socialize with their neighborhood. nowadays, we all build decks behind the house, install our private hot-tub, and surround ourselves with privacy fence. despite how modern technology contributes to this ailment of society, i think it can also ease it....afterall, here i am on the frontporch with all of you. the frontporch of strangeways is a nice place.

yet...there's something magical about humanity: that in the face of crisis, we find unity.

pakistan has been devistated by a massive earthquake, over 20,000 dead so far. and that's just the death-count from the major cities, let alone what will be found in the rural areas. and who comes to their aid? india...long time enemy lends a helping hand. i read tons about it today on the interweb and relished every bit of it, and felt hopeful.
i hope everyone is keeping those folks in their thoughts and prayers, seems the least to do for people who have lost everything, yes?
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:32 pm

Absoloutely.
Unfortunately the media here doesnt seem to feel the same way, on Monday there was only one paper, that I saw anyway, documenting the earthquake on the front page (The finacial times no less <!--emo&:blink:-->Image<!--endemo--> ) and The Sun went for a story on David Beckhams son possibly being ill as in an interview he said "Not much better, no positive news"

And after all this I still aspire to be a journalist? <!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-The Boy with a thorn in his side+Oct 11 2005, 06:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Boy with a thorn in his side @ Oct 11 2005, 06:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Absoloutely.
Unfortunately the media here doesnt seem to feel the same way, on Monday there was only one paper, that I saw anyway, documenting the earthquake on the front page (The finacial times no less <!--emo&:blink:-->Image<!--endemo--> ) and The Sun went for a story on David Beckhams son possibly being ill as in an interview he said "Not much better, no positive news"

And after all this I still aspire to be a journalist? <!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well, there are different types of journalism - and of journalist, Ed. Still there is potential in this profession.

And the poor people in Pakistan - it's so sad, their lives have always been very hard, and now this...
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:17 pm

I don't know whether this is the right thread to put it, but today I found an article on how fashionable the 'greatest hits' collections have become - :
A greatest-hits album once stood as a milestone chronicling a collection of top-rated hits, culturally significant songs or the end of a stellar career.

But in recent years, a flood of "best of" titles from acts with only few years in the business — and performers with even fewer hits — have called into question how great a greatest-hits collection is.

"I guess with music becoming so disposable, things just happen so much faster now. The short answer to the whole thing is it comes out to a money issue. The labels can put a greatest-hits album out and it's going to sell."

You can see the whole article here:
<a href='http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/18/entertainment/main784409.shtml' target='_blank'>Watering Down 'Greatest Hits'</a>

It mentions the realese of Martika's greatest hits! I mean, god, what greatest hits does she have? How many people even remember her?
*And I still cannot get over the shock of Ronan Keating's recent 'greatest hit' collection. <!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by rubygirl on Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:32 pm

Totally agree.

Was just wondering who Martika was.....
elko
Site Admin

Postby rubygirl » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:12 pm

She was a one hit wonder - had this minor hit in 1989 or 1990 - Love, Thy Will Be Done
Last edited by rubygirl on Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:16 pm

David Blunkett (former Labour cabinet member, for those of you less informed), has quit from Labour and from government today. It's shit. The media in Britian is simply a disgrace- if the tabloids shift their focus from celebrity scandals to politics for just one day, it's always to overstate the slightest mistake. They are so deperate to create waves of outcry that they simply will not stop for a second to consider that they might actually be damaging the country they claim to be morally protecting.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Mr-Shankly » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:15 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Nov 2 2005, 07:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Nov 2 2005, 07:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> David Blunkett (former Labour cabinet member, for those of you less informed), has quit from Labour and from government today. It's shit. The media in Britian is simply a disgrace- if the tabloids shift their focus from celebrity scandals to politics for just one day, it's always to overstate the slightest mistake. They are so deperate to create waves of outcry that they simply will not stop for a second to consider that they might actually be damaging the country they claim to be morally protecting. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
I can have little sympathy for a man who believes in imprisonment without trial.

'Labour' are nearly reaching the heights of sleaze achieved by the Tories. <!--emo&:angry:-->Image<!--endemo-->

Thanks to 'New Labour', the Uk is slowly been turned into a police state. 90 days without trial, ID cards, no protests outside parliament.

Still at least Tony Blair isn't a Thatcherite.

Oh wait....
Names, secret names. But never in my favour.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:50 pm

I admire that you have strong and clear political views- but I don't. You may well be right, and generally speaking I side with you, but I merely meant to highlight the savagery of the British media.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->At the centre of the recent controversy was Mr Blunkett's two-week directorship of DNA Bioscience before May's election, while he was out of the Cabinet.

Mr Blunkett broke ministerial rules by taking that job without consulting an independent committee which advises former ministers on whether they should take up jobs.

At a news conference in central London, Mr Blunkett told reporters he had been considering quitting since last week, but made his mind up to go on Wednesday "to protect the government". <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->In the Commons, Mr Blair told MPs that none of the allegations against Mr Blunkett warranted his dismissal under the ministerial code.

"I could discover no impropriety or wrongdoing," he said. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Essentially he has made a small error that has nothing to do with his performance in Government or his policies, and he has had to quit because papers can turn this into such a crime that it will actually affect votes.
elko
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat