Where are you from?

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby HandsomeDevil » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:28 pm

Liverpool certainly is great...in parts. I'd wouldn't swap it for anywhere though.
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby Mozzera » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:35 am

CHILE!!!!!! Image

ImageImage

Santiago: ImageImage
ImageImage

Concepcion: ImageImage

Easter Island: ImageImage

Valparaiso: ImageImage

<!--fonto:Tahoma--><span style="font-family:Tahoma"><!--/fonto-->does the body rule the mind?... or does the mind rule the body? (i dunno)<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Mozzera

Postby kurt » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:27 pm

I'm from Planet Earth :D
<div align="left"><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green"><!--/coloro-->Everything you say to me takes me One step closer to the edge</div>

<div align="right">and I'm about to break<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
kurt
Supreme

Postby Grim O'Grady » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:15 pm

Handsome Devil wrote:I'm from Planet Earth :D

are you just passing through here?

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:12 pm

Mozzera, have you been to Easter Island yet? I have a very big soft spot for remote little islands, and Isla Navarino, Falkland Islands (Malvinas) and Easter Island are on my list, and of course Pitcairn and Tristan Da Cunha!
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby elsa » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:52 am

This my hometown, Bendigo, Australia.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto-->We are joined in the ideological cuddle<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
elsa

Postby Mozzerella » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:11 pm

Beautiful pictures guys! And Mozzera, you ALMOST nicked my username! :P
<a href='http://www.last.fm/user/Mozaic/?chartstyle=MeatisMurder' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:38 am

List of photos from my native city Ghent, Belgium.

<a href="http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=229839" target="_blank">http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=229839</a>

Very proud to have grown up in a city with so many beautiful medieval houses and canals, although after all those years I am happy to be abroad and realise my travel dreams.

Soon the trip to Israel comes along, I look forward to that so much!
Last edited by Cracked Pleasures on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Re: Where are you from?

Postby Truman Capote » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:37 am

(I just found this and I thought it would be cool to share it with you, so if you want to read about my place...)

U R U G U A Y - The free people

Because they struggled so long and hard for independence, the people of Uruguay have developed a strong nationalistic feeling. Their tradition is democratic and they are possesive about it. It is almost as if they invented democracy! The Uruguayan people treasure the freedom they finaly won, and the spirit of liberty is still strong among the Uruguayans. They have a voice in their goverment, and they are practicaly guaranteed a good life because of laws that are just, and the many educational opportunities offered freely to all. Many people have immigrated to this republic, hence, Uruguay has more of a cosmopolitan air than any other Country in South America. By nature the people are friendly and unassuming. They are not only good citizens but are also good neighbors. There are more than three million people in Uruguay and the majority of Uruguayans are of European origin. They came largely from Spain, and include many Basques. There are also groups of Italians, English, German and Swiss, and often visitors to Uruguay are surprised to find so many men, women and children with light skin, blond hair and blue eyes.

When Spain established its first fort in the Banda Oriental in Montevideo, naturally, the people who came were of Spanish origin. There were already Portuguese soldiers and their families living at Colonia. The original inhabitants, the Charrua Natives, were wiped out during the colonial period. In fact, by the time Uruguay had become a republic, the Indians had dissapeared. They had either been killed in the wars, or they had died out. Today, only about 5 percent of the population has any trace of Indian or Negro blood. Traces of Indian blood are seen in the features of those gauchos who have straight hair and dark complexions.
After achieving independence, more immigrants came to Uruguay from Italy and
Spain, at a time when Argentina was torn by civil strife. The newcomers were afraid to settle on the pampas and therefore went to Montevideo and settled along the Plata and Uruguay rivers.
In the seventy years between 1830 and 1900, the immigrants from Europe swelled the country's population from about sixty thousand to nine hundred thousand which created a large middle class. Most of them preferred city life to the country, and by the beginning of the twentieth century Montevideo had approximately one hundred thousand people.
Immigrants from Slavic countries also settled in various parts of the country. In the 1930's, some restrictions were placed on the people wanting to enter the country and at that time the importing of seasonal farm workers was stopped, but during the Nazi persecution Uruguay received Jewish refugees from Europe.

Uruguay has the lowest birthrate (21/1000), the lowest rate of population growth (0.6%) and the oldest population in the hemisphere. There are more Uruguayans over fifty years of age than under.

While Spanish is the official language, Uruguayan Spanish, like Argentinian Spanish, has been changed somewhat by the Italians who inmigrated in large numbers to both countries. The Uruguayans speak a softer Spanish than the Castillian, elegant and clearer than the spanish used in the rest of America, some words are different from those commonly used in Spain. The gaucho has had a great influence on the language, especially in words that are a part of their way of life.
Although there are few gauchos today, compared to Artigas' time, there are many who still work with the cattle. If a person wishes to compliment a friend or business associate, he often describes him/her as being muy gaucho it means he or she is straightforward and frank.

Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby rorschach » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:54 am

South America sounds awesome.

Heres more pictures of Derry.

This is Free Derry corner

And a few pictures of our historic walls

Freedom is the only way, yeah

http://www.pbfcomics.com/
rorschach
Advanced

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:09 pm

Okay so this might be fun and this might be lame as, so bear with me- but here are a few pictures of a few places I have lived

Hilo, Hawaii. A place famous for surfing, good weather and being laid-back. Image

Cottonwood, California: Originally a stop-over for people going up the Oregon Trail it is certainly still very old-westy with the only big events every year being things like "olf fashioned day" and livestock auctions.

Sunnyvale, California: In Silicon Valley where most major tech companies are based- I lived a 15 minute or less drive from Google, Apple, Yahoo, HP, and then Netflix headquarters. Always one of the "Top 5 safest cities in the USA!" meaning it wasn't very exciting.

Groveland, California: Originally a goldrush town, now pretty much a stop on the long trip up the mountain to Yosemite National Park. But since there is literally nothing cool to see in Groveland- here is Yosemite!

Santa Cruz , California: Huge hippie population, tons of surfing and hiking- town that I am still in love with.
Here is a view from a nearby street (West Cliff) at sunset

I have never felt myself to be "from" anywhere specifically because I have never lived in the same building for more than 5 years- but there are 1/2 of the towns I have lived in :) so I guess add those and the other 5 together and there you have it :).
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:36 pm

Pashy, you lived in Hawaii? I always wondered what it's like. I definitely want to tour the Pacific someday, like Tuvalu, Fiji, Hawaii and -my fetish- Pitcairn.

Santa Cruz looks lovely. I never knew California had such a sights... Like I said, many of us Europeans have the impression California is completely like LA. That is why many Europeans more travel to the east coast to see New York and Boston and Washington and such. But California looks like it has some extraordinary scenery!

@ Rorschach: I have been at the places you pictured. The Derry city walls are amazing, and I also like the Waterloo Street area. Hey, do you have any good pictures of the Brandywell? I collect stadium pictures, but the ones I had from the Brandywell are lost in a hard drive crash :cry:

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:44 pm

Well, last time I already posted pictures of my native Ghent... But this time I will update it with photos of my current home town. Berlin, the vibrant metropolis of Germany with its bohemian lifestyle, its arts scene that is huge, and its interesting history of divide.

The Berliner Dom along the most beautiful avenue of Berlin, Unter den Linden.

Another building at Unter den Linden, this is like the gate where the avenue begins:

Checkpoint Charlie in the heart of Berlin, this was an old bordercrossing in the time when the city was still divided by the Wall:

It is hard to believe, but this tiny brick wall divided two entirely different worlds. The remainders of the wall can still be found near Kochstrasse and Warschauer Strasse:

The Reichstag:

The German Dome along the Gendarmenmarkt:

All who want a city with lovely architecture, a huge underground scene and nightlife, a lot of artists and bohemian lifestyle, an interesting history of divide, and many shop-till-you-drop options... Welcome to Berlin!

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:21 am

Yeah, Hawaii was amazing to live in, its completely different from the lifestyle that many tourists and visitors imagined-- its an amazingly communal culture and there are so many ins and outs of it that are fascinating and really sweet. I loved it there, I always considered moving back but there is a general deep dislike for haole (white folks) so my blonde hair and blue eyes would only give me as much trouble now as my brother got when he was about my age living over there.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:44 pm

I absolutelly looooved that picture of Cottonwood, it looks so neat and peaceful! :)
Take me to Cottonwood, Pashy! :lol:
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat