Football/Soccer

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby Fabienne » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:37 am

I hope Smiths-Fans generally don't think themselves to be too intellectual for this topic..

Well, at the moment we've got the EURO 2004 thing going on and I'm quite happy about it, because I love international soccer (yes, I'm a girl.. <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo--> ).. I think the national soccer stuff is quite boring, but when it comes to international competitions i get quite excited.

Which is your favourite team?

Mine are of course the French boys.
I must admit that I adore Zidane!!

<!--emo&:wub:-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--emo&B)-->Image<!--endemo-->

I also favour the English team, though I think, they're not that strong.
And I also think the German team (my team <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> ) might have some lucky moments... <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by Fabienne on Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fabienne
Regular

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:41 am

Yep I love football, my team is Bristol City, although obviously I support England in major competitons. Also if Wales are playing I'll support them due to family ties.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who's not 'too intellectual' for it.

elko

Postby Fabienne » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:44 pm

Do you think England's going to win the European soccer championships?
I wonder if they're ever going to win some competition like that again.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Glad to see I'm not the only one who's not 'too intellectual' for it.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I noticed, that there is a tendency to connect football with international politics e.g. in newspapers and so on. To present it as something intellectual maybe? <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
Fabienne
Regular

Postby elko » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:55 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Do you think England's going to win the European soccer championships?
I wonder if they're ever going to win some competition like that again.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I live in hope, but I'm not expecting England to do to well in Euro 2004, epecially after the match vs France.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I noticed, that there is a tendency to connect football with international politics e.g. in newspapers and so on. To present it as something intellectual maybe? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Never noticed that, maybe it only happens in Germany (?).

elko
elko
Site Admin

Postby Fabienne » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:49 pm

I couldn't watch the last French game, but they should have been disappointing <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->
I hope they'll be strong next time. But Switzerland shouldn't be to hard to get over.. I hope, I hope, I hope..

Oh that's interesting. One thing I always wanted to ask English ppl: What do you think about the style of the reports about football in English newspapers.. I mean when they're dealing with England vs. Germany for example..
Fabienne
Regular

Postby elko » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:16 pm

Yeah France were very poor against Croatia, althoughh I'm sure they and England will get through. Sweden vs Italy was an absolutely excellent match btw.

elko
elko
Site Admin

Postby Fabienne » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:41 pm

I don't like the Italian team.. Scandinavian Power!! <!--emo&B)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Today "we" are playing again.. Quite sure they'll win! <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

But it seems, that we are the only ones who love discussions about football <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
But never mind! I like talking to you <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Fabienne
Regular

Postby elko » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Fabienne+Jun 19 2004, 03:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fabienne @ Jun 19 2004, 03:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I don't like the Italian team.. Scandinavian Power!! <!--emo&B)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Today "we" are playing again.. Quite sure they'll win! <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

But it seems, that we are the only ones who love discussions about football <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
But never mind! I like talking to you <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep its just us two footy fans, but still that's okay. I watched the Germany match, and I'm sorry but they are very poor. Worst German side I can ever remember seeing.
Good luck, I think you'll need it <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

elko
elko
Site Admin

Postby Fabienne » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:19 pm

No need to be sorry.. I'm not THAT patriotic.. not at all.. <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
I don't think they were that bad.. in the beginning surely.. but afterwards were some good moments. Hmm.. I hope the last game will be successful.

Poor Olli <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
Fabienne
Regular

Postby Still Ill » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:48 am

I don't recall ever seeing this thread.
No one's mentioned the new season yet. Ok, I'm not from the UK, but I've been rooting for Man Utd for a couple of years now. Mainly because of the loose ties with The Smiths, their history (it was only in the last couple of years that I really took an interest in the EPL), my favorite color is red and because I already own a Man Utd jersey. I have to say that following English football has been more interesting than following the U.S. teams. <!--emo&:ph34r:-->Image<!--endemo--> There's something about the full crowds and passion for the game over there that's lacking here in the States.
Let the heckling begin. <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

I might add though, that the U.S. has a legitimate shot at World Cup next year.
Last edited by Still Ill on Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:19 am

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I hope Smiths-Fans generally don't think themselves to be too intellectual for this topic..

Well, at the moment we've got the EURO 2004 thing going on and I'm quite happy about it, because I love international soccer (yes, I'm a girl..  <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo-->  ).. I think the national soccer stuff is quite boring, but when it comes to international competitions i get quite excited.
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

me too!!
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:06 pm

I am professing to take absolutely no interest whatsoever in football right now:-

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->1  Walsall  3  2  7
2  Port Vale  3  2  7
3  Brentford  3  3  6
4  Huddersfield  3  2  6
5  Bradford  3  2  6
6  Swansea  3  0  6
7  Oldham  3  -1  6
8  Bournemouth  3  2  5
9  Gillingham  3  1  5
10  Tranmere  3  3  4
11  Southend  3  1  4
12  Rotherham  3  0  4
13  Scunthorpe  3  -1  4
14  Hartlepool  3  -1  4
15  Barnsley  3  0  3
16  Nottm Forest  3  -1  3
17  Chesterfield  3  -1  3
18  Colchester  3  -1  3
19  Swindon  3  -2  3
20  Doncaster  3  -1  2
21  Blackpool  3  -2  2
22  Milton Keynes Dons  3  -2  2
23  Yeovil  3  -2  2
24  Bristol City  3  -3  1<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
elko
Site Admin

Postby Mr-Shankly » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Aug 19 2005, 12:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Aug 19 2005, 12:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I am professing to take absolutely no interest whatsoever in football right now:-

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->1  Walsall  3  2  7
2  Port Vale  3  2  7
3  Brentford  3  3  6
4  Huddersfield  3  2  6
5  Bradford  3  2  6
6  Swansea  3  0  6
7  Oldham  3  -1  6
8  Bournemouth  3  2  5
9  Gillingham  3  1  5
10  Tranmere  3  3  4
11  Southend  3  1  4
12  Rotherham  3  0  4
13  Scunthorpe  3  -1  4
14  Hartlepool  3  -1  4
15  Barnsley  3  0  3
16  Nottm Forest  3  -1  3
17  Chesterfield  3  -1  3
18  Colchester  3  -1  3
19  Swindon  3  -2  3
20  Doncaster  3  -1  2
21  Blackpool  3  -2  2
22  Milton Keynes Dons  3  -2  2
23  Yeovil  3  -2  2
24  Bristol City  3  -3  1<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
C'mon Elko. Stick through your team thick and thin. You'll appreciate it more if you ever do reach division one.

Think how I felt last year. Bottom practically the whole season.
Names, secret names. But never in my favour.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:32 pm

'Stick through' my team?!!? What does that even mean? <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->

It's not that we're bottom, really, I'd decided not to bother this season before it even began. The magic just isn't there, and it's not to do with results.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:57 pm

Can't think that way elko, being a player yourself. Or maybe that just makes it harder. (I'm hoping not to be yet another person sticking my foot in my mouth here!)

Makes me think about our baseball team. If you'll allow me: we were on a downslide, but now we're sporadically winning here and there. And despite that (or in spite of it), we're still in first place in our division. Tells you how awful our division is. Our 'winning' record is worse than some of the more worse teams in the other divisions. Which means if we win the division, we'll get knocked out immediately in post-season play, if we make it that far. Had to get a little baseball rant out of the way. No baseball fans on this site. I should have posted this in the frustration thread instead.....

Also, we haven't had a professional soccer team in this city for a few years now. <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to General Chat