Football/Soccer

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby yandee » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:25 am

We got the U19 EM in Upperaustria right now, which means there should actually be some high class football on an international level at the Vorwaertsplatz. I've already seen two games (Spain vs. Portugal on Wednesday and Russia vs. France yesterday) and both of them were so damn boring that I almost fell asleep. Hopefully it'll get better in the semi final game also here in Steyr, the home of low-class football and lunatic ultras.

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:00 pm

Cracked Pleasures wrote:Northern Ireland amongst the top-30? Wow, never thought that would ever happen in my lifetime...

Mali and Guinea?! :blink:

<!--quoteo(post=41967:date=Jul 19 2007, 05:48 PM:name=chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chicken @ Jul 19 2007, 05:48 PM) [snapback]41967[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Personally I'd love to see team Iraq beat us in footy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This did happen in the World Cup 1998. Iran won 2-1.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
But Chicken wants IRAQ not IRAN to beat them. Not the same, ha!
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Eight of nine lives » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:59 am

Germany is dominating Group D for Euro 2008 qualifying. I am very happy. :)
Eight of nine lives
Regular

Postby yandee » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:00 pm

Eight of nine lives wrote:Germany is dominating Group D for Euro 2008 qualifying. I am very happy. :)

Austria doesn't need any qualifying. :D

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:07 pm

We never need to qualify for Copa America, we just need to be americans and we are in. :P
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:52 pm

HA! England out of Euro 2008! :D Sorry for the UK based members here, nothing against the English, I just don't like the football team. Prior to the qualifiers, the British press wrote how it was totally wrong that England needed to waste time on playing those worthless countries... now those "worthless" opposition has eliminated them! :lol: A lesson in dignity I guess, although I fear the tabloids will just blame it on the coach and pretend England is still the nr 1 team in the world if it wasn't for McClaren. Anyways, Euro 2008 will be played without any British nation, I don't think this has ever happened before.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:00 am

Cracked Pleasures wrote:HA! England out of Euro 2008! :D Sorry for the UK based members here, nothing against the English, I just don't like the football team. Prior to the qualifiers, the British press wrote how it was totally wrong that England needed to waste time on playing those worthless countries... now those "worthless" opposition has eliminated them! :lol: A lesson in dignity I guess, although I fear the tabloids will just blame it on the coach and pretend England is still the nr 1 team in the world if it wasn't for McClaren. Anyways, Euro 2008 will be played without any British nation, I don't think this has ever happened before.

Well, I think it's a shame. It makes the whole cup a little bit less interesting... at least for me.

The southamerican qualifiers have begun. My team is quite fucked up. We won against Bolivia 5-0, but the other results we had were:

Paraguay 1 - Uruguay 0 *yeah, 1-0 is not a very impressive result but it was like watching a rapery.
Uruguay 1 - Chile 1 *saw it, I went to the stadium and we SUCKED.
Brazil 2 - Uruguay 1 *and we played soooo great this match, but I suppose our fw's are a bunch of idiots. We did 12 shots on goal, while the breazilians had just 3! Oh, we really are the unhappy ones down here. :(

Other results:
Colombia 2 - Argentina 1
Peru 1 - Brazil 1
Chile 0 - Paraguay 3
Paraguay 5 - Ecuador 1
Last edited by Truman Capote on Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:12 pm

England of course brings tradition to the tournament, and many fans. However, Croatia is an excellent replacement.

Not sure if many qualifying games were broadcasted in South America, but believe me: Croatia has been really impressive in the qualifiers. They did not have an easy group (England is never easy, Israel is especially at home very difficult to beat, and Russia is also never an easy opponent). Despite tough position, Croatia got really excellent results and what's more: they got these results by attacking football, they always tried to attack and it was really a pleasure to see a team play like that.

Honestly, I think Croatia maybe can even become an outsider to win the Euro 2008. If they play the same way as in the qualifiers, then they will be a very tough opponent for even the best teams in Europe.

I think the Euro 2008 line-up is quite interesting. Apart from England all "traditional countries" have qualified, with Czech Republic and Croatia we have two dangerous outsiders, and apart from host nation Austria there is no weak teams in the tournament. I look forward to the Euro 2008. The only thing I fear is that Austria will get embarrassed in every game they play, which may stir up discussions if it is a good idea to have the hosting country directly qualified.

As for the South American qualifiers: I always hope Brazil would miss the World Cup. I don't like them, I dislike their arrogance. Ronaldinho said before the World Cup 2006 that everybody feared Brazil and that only Brazil would be a deserved winner of the cup. Very arrogant to say such things, especially when Brazil then got kicked out before the semi finals.

I don't like the Brazilian team. Argentina however, I do like them. Passionate supporters, great skilled players, attacking football... I hope Brazil fails to qualify while rivals Argentina go to the World Cup.

Is it still 5 South American nations that qualify for the World Cup? In that case, Uruguay should have a more than decent chance!
Last edited by Cracked Pleasures on Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:21 pm

Cracked Pleasures wrote:HA! England out of Euro 2008! :D Sorry for the UK based members here, nothing against the English, I just don't like the football team. Prior to the qualifiers, the British press wrote how it was totally wrong that England needed to waste time on playing those worthless countries... now those "worthless" opposition has eliminated them! :lol: A lesson in dignity I guess, although I fear the tabloids will just blame it on the coach and pretend England is still the nr 1 team in the world if it wasn't for McClaren. Anyways, Euro 2008 will be played without any British nation, I don't think this has ever happened before.

:lol:

I might enjoy the tournament more without England in it. We don't deserve to qualify, though I do still think we have players good enough.

(By the way the 1984 cup was at least one time when no British team qualified.)
Last edited by elko on Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Truman Capote » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:05 pm

elko wrote:<!--quoteo(post=42789:date=Nov 23 2007, 09:52 PM:name=Cracked Pleasures)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cracked Pleasures @ Nov 23 2007, 09:52 PM) [snapback]42789[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
HA! England out of Euro 2008! :D Sorry for the UK based members here, nothing against the English, I just don't like the football team. Prior to the qualifiers, the British press wrote how it was totally wrong that England needed to waste time on playing those worthless countries... now those "worthless" opposition has eliminated them! :lol: A lesson in dignity I guess, although I fear the tabloids will just blame it on the coach and pretend England is still the nr 1 team in the world if it wasn't for McClaren. Anyways, Euro 2008 will be played without any British nation, I don't think this has ever happened before.

:lol:

I might enjoy the tournament more without England in it.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You sound like my father! I swear he always say that! Replacing England for Uruguay, of course.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:20 pm

And McClaren is fired. This was of course easy to guess. England missing out on a tournament is something no coach will ever survive, and by sacking McClaren the press have a person to put the blame on.

Interesting fact: in the world cup qualifiers, England will play Croatia again.

More interesting games in the World Cup qualifiers:
North Korea - South Korea
Turkey - Armenia
Cuba - USA

I predict a riot, lots of riots actually :ph34r: It would be cool if Cuba beats USA in their stadium where Che Guevara is painted on the wall behind the goal.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:21 pm

Cracked Pleasures wrote:I predict a riot, lots of riots actually :ph34r: It would be cool if Cuba beats USA in their stadium where Che Guevara is painted on the wall behind the goal.

That would be fantastic. The USA are improving all the time though, so it probably won't happen.

Shame about Maclaren but like you say, someone had to take the blame. Next time they should sack all the tabloid newspapers.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:55 pm

I wonder who will want the England job. Many people seem to want Mourinho, but Mourinho does not seem too interested. Louis van Gaal told a Dutch paper that he'd be interested to coach England, but if I were an England fan I would not be too happy with that outcome, after all Van Gaal was succesful at Ajax but failed to impress at Barcelona and with the Dutch national team. Knowing Mourinho is good in dealing with the press and not letting himself be too influenced by the tabloids, he would be a good choice if he wants to do it.

Meanwhile the Euro 2008 draw has taken place without England, but we got some nice groups to look forward to. France, England, Holland and Romania are in the "group of death" and this group is very unpredictable, also I think the group with Germany, Austria, Poland and Croatia is very interesting and has a bit of a derby atmosphere. I'd not be surprised if Germany or Croatia win the actual tournament.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:58 pm

Fabio Capello is the new England coach. Notorious for speaking very bad English, notorious for a rather defensive style of football. He may prove me wrong, but this seems like a dead-born child to me. Is there really no decent British coach wanting to do the job? What about Martin O'Neill for example?

On the other hand, knowing how shamelessly the tabloids deal with the English coaches, you can somewhat understand why nobody fancies the job.

On a positive note: Ivan Klasnic is back after two kidney transplants!

Klasnic was a Croatian international and top scorer for German top team Bremen. Last year however a kidney non-functioning was diagnosed and a transplant was needed. It seemed Klasnic was lost for top football... His mom donated a kidney which his body rejected. A second transplant, this time with his father donating a kidney, worked out well however. And look: 6 months after the transplant, Klasnic is back in Bremen's first team and has scored his first two goals since recovery.

Wonderful story which must give a lot of hope to other people facing transplants. I wonder if Klasnic is the first ever soccer player to recover from an organ transplant and reach the top again?

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:04 am

What perseverance! I can't think of anyone else with a story like that.

As for Capello, yes he has his downsides, but in his favour is an excellent track record, something that not many English managers have (even Martin 'O Neill only has a couple of Scottish championships to his name, far as I recall).
elko
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat