Football/Soccer

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby Truman Capote » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:09 pm

elko wrote:What perseverance! I can't think of anyone else with a story like that.

As for Capello, yes he has his downsides, but in his favour is an excellent track record, something that not many English managers have (even Martin 'O Neill only has a couple of Scottish championships to his name, far as I recall).

Come on guys, it's Capello! I would love him to be my national team's manager!
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:49 pm

He has an impressive record when it comes to results, but... I doubt if the England fans will appreciate the more Italian style of playing which is more defensive than the English fans are used to. So the question is: will Capello adapt to English football, or will English football adapt to Capello (which I doubt the fans will like)?

I am not an England fan, but if I were, I'd have rooted for Martin O Neill. He won back-to-back trophies with Celtic, lead Celtic to the UEFA Cup final, he has brought European football to a mediocre team like Leicester City, and now at Aston Villa the team is performing a lot better than before O'Neill came in charge. O'Neill has booked results that are quite impressive given the fact he never coached a top-of-the-bill team.

Truman Capote wrote:<!--quoteo(post=42942:date=Dec 19 2007, 12:04 PM:name=elko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elko @ Dec 19 2007, 12:04 PM) [snapback]42942[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
What perseverance! I can't think of anyone else with a story like that.

As for Capello, yes he has his downsides, but in his favour is an excellent track record, something that not many English managers have (even Martin 'O Neill only has a couple of Scottish championships to his name, far as I recall).

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How is Uruguay doing in general now? They are still ranked very high on the FIFA World Ranking. I know that does not necessarily mean a lot, but still, South America has 5 world cup entries so Uruguay should definitely qualify. Brazil and Argentina will obviously be numbers 1 and 2, but Colombia and Paraguay aren't as strong as they used to be and Bolivia dramatically dropped to a low level. I expect Uruguay at the World Cup.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:09 am

Cracked Pleasures wrote:He has an impressive record when it comes to results, but... I doubt if the England fans will appreciate the more Italian style of playing which is more defensive than the English fans are used to. So the question is: will Capello adapt to English football, or will English football adapt to Capello (which I doubt the fans will like)?

I am not an England fan, but if I were, I'd have rooted for Martin O Neill. He won back-to-back trophies with Celtic, lead Celtic to the UEFA Cup final, he has brought European football to a mediocre team like Leicester City, and now at Aston Villa the team is performing a lot better than before O'Neill came in charge. O'Neill has booked results that are quite impressive given the fact he never coached a top-of-the-bill team.

<!--quoteo(post=42944:date=Dec 19 2007, 02:09 PM:name=Truman Capote)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Truman Capote @ Dec 19 2007, 02:09 PM) [snapback]42944[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
<!--quoteo(post=42942:date=Dec 19 2007, 12:04 PM:name=elko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elko @ Dec 19 2007, 12:04 PM) [snapback]42942[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
What perseverance! I can't think of anyone else with a story like that.

How is Uruguay doing in general now? They are still ranked very high on the FIFA World Ranking. I know that does not necessarily mean a lot, but still, South America has 5 world cup entries so Uruguay should definitely qualify. Brazil and Argentina will obviously be numbers 1 and 2, but Colombia and Paraguay aren't as strong as they used to be and Bolivia dramatically dropped to a low level. I expect Uruguay at the World Cup.
Yeah, I expect that too, but for now, we are not very well... A draw against Chile here is not really a good sign. You never know with Uruguay... It's quite hard to explain... maybe not hard but painful. I mean, you should have seen how we played against Brazil in Brazil, man! But we lost anyway, because we are quite a bunch of losers... That's why we are so sad, you know, we are the most pessimistic town down here.

EDIT: and why's this thread called 'Football/Soccer'??? Make it just FOOTBALL!
Last edited by Truman Capote on Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:29 pm

well, we had a few Aussies on board (they don't seem to post anymore though...) and we have a few US-based members. We don't want to confuse them and start talking about American Football, do we? But I agree, "soccer" sounds so weird if you're not from the US, Canada, Australia or New Zealand.

New scandal in English football: the Man U players held a christmas party (each player paid 5000 euro each so you can imagine it was a rather poshy party in a classy castle) and all players got extremely drunk and misbehaved. On top of that, a woman in the same venue was raped that night, and Man United player Evans has been arrested and is a suspect (he is free on bail though but investigations are ongoing). Apparently Alex Ferguson is outraged in the way the players made fools of themselves, but what can he do? The whole team participated in the alcohol galore, so you cannot really suspense the entire team and field your reserves in the Premiership ...
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:52 pm

On a positive note: I am getting involved in a new football project (or SOCCER project, for my American co-forummers :D )

We all know FIFA rules the game and organises the World Cup and such, however for several reasons such as political reasons there are several nations excluded. Gibraltar, Northern Cyprus, Greenland, Tibet, Chechenya, Catalunya, ... none of them can claim FIFA membership but the people would love to participate in football.

So the solution is there. NF Board is the alternative to FIFA and will organise tournaments for all countries' national teams who are not in FIFA. The European branch of the project is called CENF, and I have been appointed Secretary B) I am very pleased and full of ambition to make this project work and put all those countries on the football map.

And besides the idealism that no country should be excluded from sports, I also do it because I secretly hope for some exciting football trips. Greenland for example is becoming a member of our organisation. Imagine the Greenland Football Association invites us to a game of theirs, and I could be watching a football international played at the edge of the world... Really, this would mean more to me than seeing a regular Champions League final.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:21 am

Fantastic! Is it a big organisation? What does it stand for? And why aren't Greenland with the FA?
elko
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Greenland cannot join UEFA because they are not an independent country, and they cannot join FIFA because they lack a proper stadium. Hence why they play in the non-FIFA competitions.

Some other nations involved in non-FIFA football include Vatican City, Monaco, Sapmi, Tibet, Chechenya, Northern Cyprus, Kosova, Falkland Islands, ...

We at CENF are the European branch for non-FIFA teams. Are we a big organisation? Not yet, but we exist for 2 months now and we have started off well, so we believe we can really become a well-established organisation. I am enthousiast about the start we made, so I believe in our chances to grow and become a well-established organisation. We're an international bunch of people with me (a Belgian living abroad) as Secretary, a Dutch president, a Scottish vice-president and a Spanish treasurer. Miles apart, but united because of our love for football and our staunch believes that no country should be excluding from playing.

We hope to organise the first European Championship for non-FIFA nations in 2009!

The organisation stands for the idea that everybody is entitled to play football, so because some nations (like Northern Cyprus, Gibraltar, Kosova, etc) are excluded from UEFA for political reasons, we try to offer them an alternative and a chance to still play competitive football.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:02 pm

Great! That sounds fantastic!

What I don't get is why Greenland aren't allowed to play, but Andorra are? I have been to Andorra, it is TINY. And it doesn't have a decent football ground. I suppose it is an independant country though.

However, Wales is technically a principality I believe, and they get to play.....weird.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:07 am

Andorra is a sovereign nation, hence why they are welcome to play in FIFA and UEFA. Greenland is not sovereign.

Wales, England, Scotland, N.Ireland and the Faroe Islands are the only non-sovereign nations in UEFA. UEFA accepted non-sovereign nations until a few years ago when they became afraid to have an overload of teams. So the rules were changed then and from now on only sovereign nations can sign up, hence why Gibraltar's bid was rejected. However, UEFA did decide that the non-sovereign nations that were already a member, could keep their membership. So the UK home nations and the Faroe Islands can keep on playing in UEFA competitions.

Outside of Europe there are of course more non-sovereign nations who are member of FIFA. Aruba, Puerto Rico, Guam, Hong Kong, Virgin Islands, Cook Islands, American Samoa, New Caledonia, ... and some more.

I am not entirely sure if the "only sovereign nations welcome" rule only applies to UEFA or also to FIFA.

The UK case was a special one. FIFA and UEFA were in very serious financial problems in the fifties. England then played a friendly and donated the money from that game entirely to UEFA and FIFA. This gift saved them from bankruptcy. As a thankyou, they decided to make an exceptional rule, allowing the UK to have 4 seperate national teams.

Personally, but this is just my opinion, I think UEFA is acting highly inconsequent. Greenland and Gibraltar for example have more autonomy than Northern Ireland or Wales, so where is the logics in not allowing them in? I think UEFA should be a bit more consequent, if you allow one non-sovereign country to play, then it is only fair to allow all non-sovereign countries to do so.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Re: Football/Soccer

Postby Still Ill » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:16 pm

So the San Diego Chargers, that's American Football for anyone outside the U.S., (it's bad enough they're not given credibility by fellow Americans!), are travelling to England for a match against the New Orleans Saints (ex-Charger and beloved quarterback Drew Brees). They're playing in London next year in October, only the second (American) football regular-season game played outside North America. I Told Scott 'We're going!'. He said if I can find a good price.....
[img][IMG]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1139/39429rc9.th.jpg[/img][/img]
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:25 pm

I watched the Superbowl yesterday. It was pretty good. I cheered and stuff. But too much stopping. And then the commentator said "this is about as good as football gets" and I thought "oh....really?"
elko
Site Admin

Postby Boxguy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:16 pm

elko wrote:I watched the Superbowl yesterday. It was pretty good. I cheered and stuff. But too much stopping.

That's why I play rugby instead. :D

elko wrote:And then the commentator said "this is about as good as football gets" and I thought "oh....really?"

Yep, that's about as good as it gets. The rest of the popularity comes from muti-million dollar contracts, huge corporate marketing deals, the like.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby elko » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:03 pm

Hm. I could see myself watching another game, but I would be annoyed if it ended up being boring. It's a lot of time to invest for a jetsetter such as myself!

On the subject of rugby, the Six Nations tournament is going over here at the moment - basically all the UK countries plus France and Italy play in a mini-league. It means that there is often rugby on TV. It reminds me that although I don't mind the game, it's nothing up to real football (soccer). Although it doesn't stop and start as much as american football, I think that it lacks the flow of soccer. Not that it doesn't have passing moves - just not enough of them for my liking.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:09 am

elko wrote:And then the commentator said "this is about as good as football gets" and I thought "oh....really?"

Yep, that's about as good as it gets. The rest of the popularity comes from muti-million dollar contracts, huge corporate marketing deals, the like.[/quote]
Ryan, I ruined your quote, but well stated!

I've found other games more excilting. The Superbowl pre-game and half-time shows are a total joke. (I did enjoy Tom Petty though even though it was a subdued and safe performance.)

Eli's phenomenal move at avoiding getting sacked and then getting the ball off AND into someone's hands...Well that was the best play. It was hard for any San Diegan or Charger fan to root for either team. The Pats having (fairly) beaten us twice in the playoffs last couple of years. Then Eli declaring like a baby publicly 3 years ago that he didn't want to play for the Chargers (when they drafted him. Good riddance, errr). A little history and rant all at once!

Speaking of Rugby, our city is hosting a rugby tournament this weekend called the USA Sevens, complete with international teams, 4 pools, 4 countries each. (We'd considered going, but our son Sean's in the middle of our State Cup soccer tournament, once again out of town this coming weekend. Ah well!)
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:45 pm

Still Ill wrote:Speaking of Rugby, our city is hosting a rugby tournament this weekend called the USA Sevens, complete with international teams, 4 pools, 4 countries each. (We'd considered going, but our son Sean's in the middle of our State Cup soccer tournament, once again out of town this coming weekend. Ah well!)

I've wanted to go see the USA Sevens for a number of years, but of course the dates conflict with matches I play in here, not to mention school. :(
Boxguy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat