The movies

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Re: The movies

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:05 am

Yeah! I thought that when I saw it too! And the guy that plays Ian is in a band of his own called 10,000 Things. SUCH a beautiful film :)
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:52 pm

what sort of music does his real band play?
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:26 am

Ummm... hard to describe... 'indie'?? Naw, that doesn't work, um, rock sort of... but uh, not so edgy
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:31 am

Nothing similar to Joy Division so?

I will check out the band though. He lives in Berlin at this moment, I didn't even know that... :o And he dates the actress that played the role of Annik in the film. Lucky git :P

Also, seeing a great film like this made me play Unknown Pleasures again several times the last days, a reminder of how great Joy Division was. I know it is not the same without Ian, but it is really hard to believe that New Order is what remains of JD now. Without wanting to be cruel, but I think New Order are nothing compared to the intensity and passion of Joy Division. But they do deserve some credit for changing the band name and giving Ian the respect that was well due, rather than cashing in on further using the Joy Division moniker.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:52 pm

Saw In Bruges and it was dark as hell, in a bad way. The first half? Funny enough. The second half? Awful. So yeah- maybe give that one a miss.
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby rorschach » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:25 pm

Pashernate_Lover wrote:Saw In Bruges and it was dark as hell, in a bad way. The first half? Funny enough. The second half? Awful. So yeah- maybe give that one a miss.

I refuse to watch anything with Colin Farrell in it, he's a complete moron.

I really enjoyed Cloverfield. It was an interesting take on the genre (Transformers,,,eugh).

I watched No Country For Old Men recently and it was fantastic. I read the book before going to see it and I can safely say it falls into that small category of films that are actually better than the book. The Coens are a couple of wee geniuses.
Freedom is the only way, yeah

http://www.pbfcomics.com/
rorschach
Advanced

Postby Boxguy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:35 am

I saw This Is England this afternoon, and I thought it was brilliant. It was a bit refreshing to see a portion of the original non-racist skinhead subculture given the spotlight as opposed to the purely racist portion prominently shown in mainstream American films (most notably The Believer and American History X).

The film did cause me to wonder about one thing, which I'll pose as a question here: Exactly how turbulent was English society in the 1980s, particularly under Thatcher rule? It's a bit difficult for me to get a clear understanding on my own, being from an area of the world that is somewhat insulated from cultural and/or class conflicts.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Lorimoz » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:04 pm

I am sorry I cannot answer your question BoxGuy as I was in my home country in the 80's.
I just finished watching This is England on Film4 and I thought it was good, too.
The boy was convincing and the whole film was well directed, acted and produced.

Shame they used the version of "Pls, pls, let me get..." by Clayhill instead of The Smiths' one.

Nobody loves us
Lorimoz
Smiths Nut!

Previous

Return to General Chat