The movies

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:46 pm

Is there a movies discussion thread here already? If not, here it is <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> So what are your favorite movies? Maybe you could add a review of a movie you've recently seen. We might give eachother some new movie idea's <!--emo&B)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Alex
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:17 pm

Oh, I am a great fan of movies and would be delighted to exchange some movie ideas with you, guys.
Unfortunately I haven't seen a decent film in quite a while, I have the feeling everything that came out this year is simply unwatcheable... <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo--> or almost anything.
I am basicly into independant films and comedies, but not only that naturally...I should take some time to think about the movies I like the most, there are quite a few of them.
A very funny indie film I saw quite recently was
<a href='http://imdb.com/title/tt0269483/' target='_blank'>Lone Star State Of Mind</a>
..nothing pretentious or overdone, but quite exhilarating that was <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

Hmm, I guess I'll be coming back to this thread very soon.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:44 pm

anyone seen 'my life with morrissey' ive heard bad things about it so im too scared to watch it.
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:39 am

are you scared that we might end up like the girl in "my life with morrissey"? i havent seen it but ive heard shes obsessed with him and ends up a few gladioli short of a flowerbed...
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:53 am

I hereby nominate, vote for, and give the award to "A Hard Day's Night" for Best Rockumentary, Best Music Film, Best Comedy, and Best Film Ever Made.

(I don't much like films, unless I somehow already feel part of them, I think.)
elko
Site Admin

Postby Miserable Liar » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:44 am

It's cool, they just go off on one and a song gets played, genius.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:36 pm

a fabulous film i recomend is high fidelity, and also the book is amazing of course, lots of mentions of the smiths!
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:31 am

<!--QuoteBegin-this_charming_girl+Jan 15 2006, 09:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (this_charming_girl @ Jan 15 2006, 09:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> a fabulous film i recomend is high fidelity, and also the book is amazing of course, lots of mentions of the smiths! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Absolutely excellent film!!

Have any of you seen Memoires of a Geisha? Beautiful film.. truly
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:02 am

I watched 'Spanglish' last night & it just didn't work for me, if you haven't seen it it's about a successful chef (Adam Shandler) & his middle class family (wife, 2 kids & mother-in-law) who employ a working class female Mexican house cleaner (who is a single parent) who speaks very little english.
Now why didn't it work for me?
Well 1stly I think it fails in that the film director doesn't appear to know if s/he wants to make a comedy film or a serious film, it falls down on both counts for me. Maybe I was prejudiced because I assume as it's a Shandler movie I'm expecting a laugh & also the title of the film says to me it's going to be amusing, I obviously got it wrong. It has a few smiley moments & a few heart touchy moments but it just didn't break either my heart or my smile into a giggle. Also maybe it run out of funds or something but it was far to vague in the questions it left unanswered, such as what was the story/relationship behind the neurotic wife & her mother (& that lead onto how well balanced (pun intended) the alcholic ex jazz singer mother/mother-in-law came across?). All in all I felt cheated from it, I thought it was a shallow plot & that although the actors had stories that could have grown & developed it turned out just like the families stories, we only got to scratch the surface & all we saw was a superficial glance into them.
I won't go on about the ending because it wouldn't be right, in case anyone wants to see the film & decide for themselves if it's a good/bad or indifferent film.

love

Grim

P.s. I'd rate it 3/10.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:51 am

Hey, Grim, quite an elaborate review, great <!--emo&:B-->Image<!--endemo-->
I have to admit I am seriously prejudiced against films featuring the likes of Adam Sandler...

A really wonderful, touching, heart-felt and brilliantly acted drama I saw was a Jim Sheridan film,

<a href='http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298845/' target='_blank'>In America</a>

I strongly recommend it.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Pashernate_Lover+Jan 16 2006, 07:31 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pashernate_Lover @ Jan 16 2006, 07:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-this_charming_girl+Jan 15 2006, 09:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (this_charming_girl @ Jan 15 2006, 09:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> a fabulous film i recomend is high fidelity, and also the book is amazing of course, lots of mentions of the smiths! <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Absolutely excellent film!!

Have any of you seen Memoires of a Geisha? Beautiful film.. truly <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
yey i saw that the other day! my friend hated it but i personally liked it! that show that the main girl was in was amazing i thought!
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:06 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Grim O'Grady+Jan 16 2006, 10:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grim O'Grady @ Jan 16 2006, 10:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I watched 'Spanglish' last night & it just didn't work for me, if you haven't seen it it's about a successful chef (Adam Shandler) & his middle class family (wife, 2 kids & mother-in-law) who employ a working class female Mexican house cleaner (who is a single parent) who speaks very little english.
Now why didn't it work for me?
Well 1stly I think it fails in that the film director doesn't appear to know if s/he wants to make a comedy film or a serious film, it falls down on both counts for me. Maybe I was prejudiced because I assume as it's a Shandler movie I'm expecting a laugh & also the title of the film says to me it's going to be amusing, I obviously got it wrong. It has a few smiley moments & a few heart touchy moments but it just didn't break either my heart or my smile into a giggle. Also maybe it run out of funds or something but it was far to vague in the questions it left unanswered, such as what was the story/relationship behind the neurotic wife & her mother (& that lead onto how well balanced (pun intended) the alcholic ex jazz singer mother/mother-in-law came across?). All in all I felt cheated from it, I thought it was a shallow plot & that although the actors had stories that could have grown & developed it turned out just like the families stories, we only got to scratch the surface & all we saw was a superficial glance into them.
I won't go on about the ending because it wouldn't be right, in case anyone wants to see the film & decide for themselves if it's a good/bad or indifferent film.

love

Grim

P.s. I'd rate it 3/10. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
In other words, the film is shit, i've seen it, and it's worse than shit, it's really bad.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:56 pm

There are some great Adam Sandler films though, like Billy Madison. May be childish but it never fails to amuse me.

However, the best film ever made (well, one of them) is The Big Lebowski! Please please please go and see it, you will not be disappointed, it has everything you could want in a film!

Bowling
Feet
Loonies who wave guns around
People with weird accents
Cowboys with handlebar moustaches
People who pee on rugs

Seriously. See it NOW, it has John Goodman, Jeff Bridges, John Turturro and Steve Buscemi in it- what could be BETTER?!
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:18 am

I strongly recommend: DECONSTRUCTING HARRY (Woody Allen)

It is a bitter, cynical, and often funny look at an art and the artist, a self-portrait of Allen himself, played mostly for humor. It is also one of the best films he made in the 1990s (not bad for a guy who makes at least one film every year.)

The story centers around Allen's character, Harry Block, a fairly successful writer who uses his friends and family in his "fictional" stories - changing names from Janet to Jane, but leaving the main details of their lives at the center of his stories, flattering or not. As a result, he has very few friends and very many enemies... just as Truman Capote on his last days.

The rather amazing thing about Deconstructing Harry is that, while Allen is often bitter in the film, lashing out at detractors and the like, and plays an essentially unlikeable main character, he is still able to turn out a brilliant and even at times warm film that is filled with humor, drama, and life.

The ensemble cast is one of the biggest Allen has ever used: Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, Elizabeth Shue, Tobey Maguire, Julie Kavner, Kirstie Alley, Demi Moore, Eric Bognosian, and Stanley Tucci among others...

Well... go and rent this movie and enjoy it.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:26 am

Sorry, I have to add 'THE LIFE AND DEATH OF PETER SELLERS"

The Life and Death of Peter Sellers has to be one of the most creative, complex and revealing non-documentary movies ever made about an actual person, living or dead, and the inspired casting of Geoffrey Rush is spot on - he's magnificent in all the various and sundry Sellers guises, especially the ones from Dr. Strangelove and The Pink Panther's bumbling inspector. The rest of the casting is excellent too, particularly Charlize Theron as the second "B.E." in Seller's life, Britt Ekland.

The thing I liked most about this movie was how the script let us see how Sellers created his characters - how he was constantly "in character" or inbetween characters. He admits in the movie to being an empty vessel, with no personality of his own; this is what allowed him to be such an insufferably cruel bastard to all the people who were closest to him: he used his immersive, endlessly obsessive artistic process as a weapon and, ultimately, as a substitute for being human.

It's always brutally hard as an artist to find the balance - you have to be true to your work, naturally, and as an actor especially you're constantly redefining your inner reality, but you can't do it at the expense of the people who love you and whom you profess to love; there has to be emotional and mental discipline otherwise you become psychotically self-indulgent, as this film showed Sellers to be. The most poignant scene in the movie for me was when Sellers, in his typically childish and deranged state, tells his little daughter, "I'm an empty shell, there's nobody inside," words to that effect, and she answers, with a sad wisdom that no child should have to learn to possess, "Yes, daddy."

A must for every Peter Sellers' fan.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to General Chat