The movies

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby Boxguy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:37 pm

Cracked Pleasures wrote:And the bizarrest of all is when the Texan man says in all seriousness: "After I'm done with guns, I always go to the topless club".
The idea alone of the combination of a gun club and a topless bar is so weird, but he says it so seriously as if it were the most normal thing in the world :D

Around here that is the norm for some people. :rolleyes:

I've never enjoyed Borat. Primarily it's due to the gross, gross misinterpretation of the Kazakh people and their culture.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:43 pm

Well, IMO Kazakhstan is like the one country he is actually not ridiculising. In fact he is more making fun of the people in the places he visits, while the image he portraits of Kazakhstan is so clearly fake that nobody should take it seriously. The fact that some of the people in his movies do, in fact more ridiculises the people of those places than Kazakhstan. Although I can understand to some extend that some Kazakh people don't like the picture he is painting.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:05 am

Cracked Pleasures wrote:Well, IMO Kazakhstan is like the one country he is actually not ridiculising.

:blink:
of the four kazakh students i had in classes last year, three of them were horribly offended. two of them cornered me after class wondering what can be done to shut down the movie. they wanted to call the government, call the cinema, form a picket line, etc. one of the two was in tears and nearly sobbing (truly, no exaggeration at all) over the whole thing.
and it's not as though they didn't understand borat was simply using Kazakhstan as a vehicle to expose the common idiocracy in america....they knew that.

here's an observation that helped me understand: between talking to Kazakh students and Japanese students, it is the Kazakhs who beam pride when they speak of their country--they become rather eager quickly whereas the Japanese students answer but rarely elaborate and compare.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Around here that is the norm for some people. rolleyes.gif <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
boxguy is right with that one, and how!!
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Re: The movies

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:35 am

Did anyone see Sweeney Todd? If you loved the stage musical, you might love the film! Honestly, I think that my friends and I were the only ones in the theatre laughing, but I loved it. Anyone else?
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:49 pm

I've wanted to see it badly for quite some time now, but none of the theaters in this part of the state are showing it. :x
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:35 pm

What? Why not? That sucks!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:15 am

I just saw Velvet Goldmine (!!!) so good!!! Does anybody else love this film?

I never though Ewan McGreggor would be a good Iggy Pop because, honestly, the thought had never crossed my mind.
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:42 am

Placebo, a band of whom I've been a huge fan for 8 years now, play in that movie. I believe their Bowie cover "20th century boy" is in the soundtrack. Brian Molko looks great as ever in that film 8)

I am soon getting some of my old DVDs back, my family has shipped some of them to me from Belgium. Including The Exorcist, original version. I never ever get tired of that film, it was so legendary in every possible way! Interesting was that several of the actors involved have had serious mental issues afterwards, as if there was truly some demonic curse on the people involved with the film. Well, coincidence I guess...
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:16 pm

Who was Jack Fairy supposed to be?
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:03 am

I purchased a DVD of "Brokeback Mountain" over the weekend. As I'd never seen it before, I thought it was about time (plus I got a great deal on it, very inexpensive).

:shock:
big mistake--too close to home, fartoo close to home. It'll be years before I watch that infernal movie again, if ever. Just when I thought I'd overcome a host of things, there they were played out in front of me, bringing every memory up in my mind--the hate, the fear, the secrecy, the shame, the lies, the violence, etc. I HATE feeling this way. :evil: :evil:
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:49 am

Oh Chicken! I'm so sorry for that, I hate that movie too. I saw it some time ago and it's absolutelly horrible... It's not that I felt those things you said but I really thought it was a very morbid and absolutelly unnecessary film.

About Sweeney Todd, I'm not that interested, Johnny Depp is a great actor and I think he's just wasting his tallent with all those crappy movies he's been doing lately. I heard years ago that he was going to be on 'The Rum Diary', a movie based on Hunter S. Thompson's novel and I was VERY excited but NO!, all I got was TRASH for kids.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby rEEdy^^ » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:46 pm

has anyone seen the film Cloverfield?

if anything i didnt enjoy it much at all.
although the most exciting part of the film was when a few ppl ran out the cinema feeling dizzy and sick.

what a waste of time money and my effort to be honest :S
rEEdy^^
Supreme

Postby Still Ill » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:03 am

I didn't know Cloverfield was out already. And I was looking forward to it, despite not having any clue what the movie was about. It just made it that much more intriguing.

Last movie I saw was I Am Legend with Will Smith, whose movies I really enjoy. It wasn't anything the previews hinted at. It was better. And scary that it could possibly happen one day. Any Bob Marley fan will get the title and musical reference in the movie.

Pashy, I loved Velvet Goldmine.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby ed... » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:48 am

I saw Cloverfield, it was entertaining. Hardly the best film ever, but I wasn't bored. Cheesy in parts, exciting in others.
what a wonderful world
ed...
Regular

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:11 pm

Control, the biography pic of Ian Curtis of Joy Division, is really fantastic. I went to see it yesterday and was really impressed. Anton Corbijn once again released a masterpiece. The film shows a perfect portrait of Curtis' life, both his more or less worryless childhood, the breakthrough of the band, his struggles with epileptic seizures and depression, ... The actor who played Ian did a great job, the mimics, the look in the eyes, the attitude, it was like Ian was there playing himself. The black and white filming enhanced the gloomy undertone of the film, which was a risky choice but turned out very well. I recommend this to all that are even remotely interested in Joy Division.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat