The movies

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby chicken » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:57 pm

i tend to buy DVD's, not go to the cinema.

last weekend i bought the last 'Pirates of the Caribbean' flick....mostly because of the genre and the eye-candy (orlando...oh dear!!).

AND:

28 Days Later.
that was loaned to me a while back and i loved it. so when i saw it in the "CHEAP, BUY ME!!" bin, i could not resist.
honestly, i don't understand why these horrific movies draw me in so :unsure:
sometimes i think i have an over-active cluster of empathy neurons!!!!

chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:36 pm

i love "28 days later"! it also brings back some great memories of watching it with friends (one of them stumbled into the room really drunk and scared the living crap out of one of the others, before sitting on the floor with his coat on his head and eating cereal straight out of the packet (no milk) and cheering "yay, it's doctor who!" when christopher eccleston came on screen... good times). have you seen the sequel "28 weeks later"?
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:47 pm

the sequel, IMHO, sucks in comparison. of course, most things pale when placed beside a work of art :P
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:22 am

i finally saw the new film version of "the hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy" on telly a few nights ago. bits of the plot were different to the TV/radio/book versions and the ending was definitely different, but i still loved it - i think it kept a lot of the dark humour of the original versions.
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:01 pm

I want to see Wes Anderson's 'The Darjeeling Limited'... but I didn't yet... :(

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO1bYukdvLI" target="_blank">TRAILER</a>
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:50 pm

Truman Capote wrote:I want to see Wes Anderson's 'The Darjeeling Limited'... but I didn't yet... :(

I haven't gotten to see it yet either. :(

On a side note, a couple of my classmates dressed up as members of Team Zissou for Halloween. :lol: I have a picture somewhere...
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:02 pm

tomorrow "Sunshine" is released on DVD here in the states. did anyone see that movie? opinions?
same director as trainspotting and 28 days later.

and that luscious man, Cillian Murphy, is in it! ;)
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:50 pm

Entirely changing the subject, have any of you lovely non-Britons seen Wallace & Gromit? Either the film or the shorts. I think it got nominated for an Oscar when it was out, just wondered what a US audience made of it.

elko
Site Admin

Postby Boxguy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:04 pm

Yes, and yes. I first saw them when I was about 13 and enjoyed them immensely. I have the original three shorts on VHS.

If I remember correctly A Grand Day Out received a nomination, and The Wrong Trousers and A Close Shave won. I believe the feature won as well.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby elko » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:19 pm

Excellent. Some of the jokes must be a bit....obscure though?

For example, my favourite joke in the film relies on the westcountry accent:

"I reckon it must've been arson."
"Arson?"
"Yeah, someone arsin' around!"
elko
Site Admin

Postby Boxguy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:05 pm

I didn't have trouble recognizing that. I believe overall there were maybe one or two slang quips I didn't understand but nothing a quick search of the Interweb couldn't answer.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby elko » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:31 pm

Cool, I guess we Brits manage to understand US films pretty well, although there's usually the odd cultural reference in sitcoms that I don't get.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:48 pm

US and UK English are not a problem to me. Aussie English however... When I watched Home & Away in the past, it was very handy to have subtitles. Even though it was also quite nice to learn some Aussie slang, especially the swear words!

(please don't judge me for watching Home & Away, we all had some guilty pleasures when we were young :ph34r: )
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:15 pm

Cracked Pleasures wrote:US and UK English are not a problem to me. Aussie English however... When I watched Home & Away in the past, it was very handy to have subtitles. Even though it was also quite nice to learn some Aussie slang, especially the swear words!

(please don't judge me for watching Home & Away, we all had some guilty pleasures when we were young :ph34r: )

I found "takin' the piss out" to be weird, as well as "arvo" "brekkie" and "barracking" -- I understand what you mean.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:36 pm

Although slightly provocating sometimes, I still like Borat. I wonder what film this is taken from?

<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=MUcyphPxcVY" target="_blank">http://youtube.com/watch?v=MUcyphPxcVY</a>

The dialoge is brilliant in all its bizarrity:

Man: "We execute people, but the government has to do it."
Borat: "Why can't they do it in the gun club?"
Man: "Well, there's probably no good reason..."
Borat: "It would be fun!" (followed by a high-five)

And the bizarrest of all is when the Texan man says in all seriousness: "After I'm done with guns, I always go to the topless club".
The idea alone of the combination of a gun club and a topless bar is so weird, but he says it so seriously as if it were the most normal thing in the world :D
"This is what a real man should do: to shoot the gun and to look at naked women" - and it sounds like the guy really means it!

<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=krudM4kHZt4" target="_blank">http://youtube.com/watch?v=krudM4kHZt4</a>
Last edited by Cracked Pleasures on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat