The Simpsons appreciation thread

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue May 30, 2006 11:05 am

Is there anyone else here who is a loyal viewer of the US' greatest export product ever?

I am usually not into this sort of sitcoms/humor shows, but am happy to make an exception for them. The Simpsons are so different from all the rest: the humor is much more diverse (from easy-to-swallow stuff such as Barney burping or Homer scratching his crotch in church, to the more intelligent humor that we find in their political stabbings etc), the characters of the show are very well-thought and despite the bizarreness they're even representative to an actual community, and the show is about the only American TV show that dares mockery towards the own American society (such as the episodes in which the over-influence of media is tackled, the episodes in which court cases for the most ridiculous even are started, ...)

Any other fans of this brilliant show?

And who's your favourite character?
What are your favourite Simpsons quotes?
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Tue May 30, 2006 11:48 am

i love the simpsons, i watch it quite often. i agree about the humour - sometimes it's obvious and everyone can understand it, other times it's very subtle and satirical. lots of comedy shows mock other cultures, but the simpsons is brave as it mocks its own country's culture too. it's also full of great quotes - there was an article on the bbc website last week about philosophical quotes from the characters, particularly homer.
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue May 30, 2006 3:44 pm

It is undoubtedly one of the funniest shows ever, and deservedly the most important and influential comedy of the last twenty years. CP you're quite right, the genius is that there's humour on all levels, from traditional cartoon-style violence to biting satire - everyone I know loves the Simpsons.

I guess my favourite character would be Homer, but then that's a bit obvious. I also have a penchant for Disco Stu - he should be featured far more.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Bref » Tue May 30, 2006 5:53 pm

My favourite character is Mr Burns, so evil and funny. It's a great show but not as good as it used to be.....
Apparently there's a film coming out next year.
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where,
we don't know where.
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue May 30, 2006 7:37 pm

My two favourite characters have been named already: Homer and Mr Burns.

Homer combines that diverse types of humor: from sleeping and burping in church (the easy-to-understand humor) to the more satirical intelligent jokes. He's got it all. Not to mention the legendary quotes. And he's truely immortal: he survived a heart attack, being stuck with his head to a bridge, falling down a cliff on a skateboard twice, having a car falling on his head, suffocating in a fire, ... He survived it all, he's got more lives than a cat!

Mr Burns then is the perfect villain: evil yet hard to resist as well. He's the perfect caricature of the truely existing die-hard businessman to whom success and power is everything. They portraited that so well...

Other characters I like:
* Ned Flanders: the slightly naive yet loyal and reliable family man
* Barney: the perfect image for an anti-alcohol campaign, yet pityful enough to still sympathise with him
* Groundskeeper Willie: not sure why I like him, but his accent alone makes it worth to bring him on often
* Reverend Lovejoy: the priest loyal to his religion at first sight, though sneaky enough to still enjoy the forbidden pleasures of a beer and a curse (remember... "Damn Ned Flanders...")
* Dr Nick Riviera: perfect portrait of a dodgy doctor who always seems to get away with his fumbles, the perfect portrait of how sometimes less talented people manage to survive in the world as long as they use the right tricks
* Hans Moleman: he's adorable, so cute... Cowabonga dude!

The best episodes:
* Homer gets a bypass, with a star role for Nick Riviera, including the TV show "People that look like things"
* Springfield Film Festival episode, with the Man Getting Hit By Football classic :D
* Homer the Heretic: a funny approach to the 'religion vs science' debate
* Lisa discovers an angel skeleton: dito
* Mr Plow episode: Barney causing an avalanche by burping... simple, yet hilarious!
* Lisa becomes a vegetarian: very recognisable to me as a veggie, apart from my dad chasing a pig throughout the city...

Best quotes:

Dr Nick Riviera: "Are you looking for a way to cut (*makes cutting move*) in your medical expenses? I perform every operation for 100 dollar. Come in for brain surgery and receive a free Chinese finger trap!"

Dr Nick Riviera (putting on surgery gloves): "These gloves came free with my toilet brush!"

Homer: "Attempt is the first step towards failure"

Homer: "Kids, you tried your best and failed miserably. My lesson: never try anything"

Moe: "Homer, drinking isn't there for solving your problems"
Barney: "Yeah, it's for raising your social standards" (followed by a huge burp)

Homer: "To alcohol, the cause and solution of all our problems"

Ralph Wiggum, trying to flirt with Lisa: "So, do you like, ehm... stuff?"

Homer: "Only two type of men wear a hawaiian shirt: big fat party animals and gay men. And Bart doesn't look like a big fat party animal..."

Homer: "All those suckers rushing with their tax forms... I brought in mine a year ago"
Lisa: "Dad..."
Homer: "Yes, sweetie?"
Lisa: "You have to do that every year again"
Homer: "No, honey, cause I am, cause I have, cause... Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!"

Mr Burns (before a possible nuclear meltdown): "I guess I have to kiss my butt goodbye"
Waylon Smithers: "May I, Sir?"

Announcer in hospital: "Dr Nick Riviera, please report to the coroner immediately"
Dr Nick: "The coroner? I'm so SICK of that guy!"

Groundskeeper Willie, taking away the late school hamster: "Ah, don't worry, he's off to a better world!" (followed by a toilet flushing sound)
Last edited by Cracked Pleasures on Tue May 30, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Rodchenko » Wed May 31, 2006 11:40 am

The Simpsons is <!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->pure genius<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->.... The best tv programme available?
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby tca2005 » Wed May 31, 2006 5:32 pm

Channel 4 showed the one where Troy Mclure marries Aunt Selma yesterday - I'm only mentioning this because it's got one of my top 5 Simpson's moments in it - the Planet of the Apes "Dr.Zaius Dr.Zaius" song complete with break-dancing. :lol: I can't explain why this is so funny, but it's not just me a lot of people seem to love that scene.
Last edited by tca2005 on Wed May 31, 2006 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make no mistake my friend, your pointless life will end.
tca2005
Advanced

Postby scavenger » Wed May 31, 2006 11:34 pm

I love The Simpsons especially Professor Frink...I think he's absolutely adorable with his snappy pink pants and his eccentric mannerisms (glavin!).
One of my favorite lines is when Ralph calls Superintendent Chalmers (is that how you spell it?) Super Nintendo Chalmers...not the smartest joke ever but for some reason I find it irresistible!
Oh, but don't mention love
I'd hate the pain of the strain all over again
A rush and a push and the land that
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
And people who are weaker than you or I
They take what they want from life
scavenger
Supreme

Postby Rodchenko » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:26 pm

If I say "Mount Carlmore". What do you say? :D
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:22 pm

Who doesn't like The Simpsons?!

I don't seem to watch the new episodes, but it's just....genius.
I have footage of me watching at 1, if I could get it up, that'd be so terrible!
My favorite chracter would have to be Homer as well, you all know why! The guy's an idiot, but that's what makes him a genius! I must also note Dr. Nick as a cool character.

I haven't seen the episodes Ricky Gervais wrote, were they any good? As long as the characters kept their powers, I suppose he couldn't have done bad.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:07 pm

Miserable Liar wrote:Who doesn't like The Simpsons?!

I don't seem to watch the new episodes, but it's just....genius.
I have footage of me watching at 1, if I could get it up, that'd be so terrible!
My favorite chracter would have to be Homer as well, you all know why! The guy's an idiot, but that's what makes him a genius! I must also note Dr. Nick as a cool character.

I haven't seen the episodes Ricky Gervais wrote, were they any good? As long as the characters kept their powers, I suppose he couldn't have done bad.

i saw an episode he wrote, it was good, but i expected better. it had some great moments but the ending wasnt all that good.
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:56 pm

child_from_those_ugly_new_houses wrote:Channel 4 showed the one where Troy Mclure marries Aunt Selma yesterday - I'm only mentioning this because it's got one of my top 5 Simpson's moments in it - the Planet of the Apes "Dr.Zaius Dr.Zaius" song complete with break-dancing. :lol: I can't explain why this is so funny, but it's not just me a lot of people seem to love that scene.

HAHAHAHA me and my dad were almost wetting ourselves at that song!!

did anyone see it today? the bit where smithers got a bee in his eye was quite genius!
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:09 pm

was that the episode where Troy and Selma had to make a baby in order to have him appearing in the media again?

She also has married Sideshow Bob, and dated Hans Moleman :ph34r:

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby tca2005 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:03 pm

the_queen_is_dead wrote:<!--quoteo(post=28787:date=May 31 2006, 06:32 PM:name=child_from_those_ugly_new_houses)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(child_from_those_ugly_new_houses @ May 31 2006, 06:32 PM) [snapback]28787[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Channel 4 showed the one where Troy Mclure marries Aunt Selma yesterday - I'm only mentioning this because it's got one of my top 5 Simpson's moments in it - the Planet of the Apes "Dr.Zaius Dr.Zaius" song complete with break-dancing. :lol: I can't explain why this is so funny, but it's not just me a lot of people seem to love that scene.

HAHAHAHA me and my dad were almost wetting ourselves at that song!!

did anyone see it today? the bit where smithers got a bee in his eye was quite genius!
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, great episode today. I like the tall man in the car.

Dr.Zaius video (sorry for the long link): <a href="http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?p=dr.zaius+dr.zaius&sm=Yahoo%21+Search&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8&b=6&oid=2d2d40261182379e&rurl=www.huffingtonpost.com&vdone=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fvideo%3Fp%3Ddr.zaius%2Bdr.zaius%26sm%3DYahoo%2521%2BSearch%26toggle%3D1%26cop%3D%26ei%3DUTF-8&vback=Results" target="_blank">http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?p=dr.zai...8&vback=Results</a>
Because once just isn't enough.
Last edited by tca2005 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make no mistake my friend, your pointless life will end.
tca2005
Advanced

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:19 am

thanks go to tim for making my day :lol:
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to General Chat