The Queen Is Dead

Discuss each of the albums here.

Postby elko » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:02 am

Bigmouth seems kind of shallow to me now for some reason. On first listening it really had an edge to it, but I suppose now I don't hear anything new in it, as I've played it so many times.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:08 am

I think that's the great thing about bands you don't hear much of. I think the Smiths only had a handful of singles that were hugely successful here in the States. Every now and then you'll get treated to an obscure one. I truly am sick of radio.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:13 am

Same here. I guess you have more variation over there, but over here even radio which classes itself and fresh and exciting sticks rigidly to a bland playlist, the only difference between stations is the main genre.
How did The Smiths do in terms of chart positions over there? By todays terms, The Smiths really had no big hits (nothing inside the top ten if I remember rightly).
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:23 am

The singles charts aren't big except with the pop and hip-hop stuff. But I was appalled at the placement the Smiths had with their singles over here. They were huge at clubs, had more of an underground following, so I was never really aware of chart placement. I'll have to link you a site that shows a comparison of their chart success here and there. Your blog mentioned soccer. Did you mention you were a referree?
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:29 am

Here's the link. And the home page of Askmeaskmeaskme graces the same picture!

<a href='http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=the+smiths&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26amp%3BrequestId%3D4b15921f468ff4bd%26amp%3BclickedItemRank%3D1%26amp%3BuserQuery%3Dthe%2Bsmiths%26amp%3BclickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.askmeaskmeaskme.com%252F%26amp%3BinvocationType%3D-%26amp%3BfromPage%3DNSCPIndex&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.askmeaskmeaskme.com%2F' target='_blank'>http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.js...kmeaskme.com%2F</a>
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:50 am

Go to the Discography section. Appalling numbers really. I just noticed that there aren't any chart placings for the singles for the U.S. That explains a lot! Maybe they didn't release any here!! Even Strangeways, by then the Smiths being very well known, probably more for their break-up, peaked at 55. Actually I wonder how correct those figures are. They're not very specific. Hm. Will have to look for another source.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:55 am

I know they released singles over there, but I would say it's definately possible they didn't chart.

Yes I'm training to be a referee, did my first match this morning actually. Quite nerve wracking trying to control 22 hungover and mis-shapen adults, but the score was 10-0, so despite awarding a penalty, I didn;t have to make too many important desicions. And by th way, it's called football :P
Last edited by elko on Mon May 15, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:06 am

Look, I'm celebrating a football win of another kind! My kids play footie (there!), my husband coaches their teams, and he himself played a coaches game yesterday. He hadn't played since his senior high days, it was fun to watch. It's a shame football here isn't that popular. All the kids grow up playing it, then it stops when they're done with school. I feel for you! <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:10 am

Funny enough, there were American Football refs in my changing room today. What a bizarre uniform. And it takes four of them! It'll never catch on, I tell you. All I know about footy in America is that Freddy Adu is something of a boy genius, but he's not really American.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:17 am

He's good. I think he's like the youngest player out there. I do like the European jerseys. I happen to sport a Manchester Utd (sorry) jersey. So happens its my oldest son's team colors <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> . Of course, the two questions are 1) You played professionally? No. 2) You a Morrissey/Smiths fan? Yes. <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:09 pm

Your favourite track:
Though I love them all, if I have to choose, probably it would be Never Had No-one Ever - I'm totally in love with this song, it has same biteer-sweet beauty for me - which I am absolutely addicted to!

Your worst track:
None really. Maybe I don't listen to Vicar In A Tutu and Mr Shankly as often as do to other tracks - (meaning I don't repeat them 13 times...). But then suddenly I start missing them and play the album just to hear them...because they are so funny!

Best lyric:
I had a really bad dream
It lasted 20 years, 7 months and 27 days...

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you:
And if they don't believe me now will they ever believe me...

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.:
Superb in every possible way! I rarely listen to whole albums - I usually just like some particular tracks and skip the rest. Definitely not so with Smiths' albums - there simply aren't songs on them I can't find something interesting in. Each song here has its own vallue, its specific athmosphere - every single track functions perfectly on its own, but is also perfectly combined with the other tracks.

Just love it!
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:29 pm

<span style='color:purple'>FAVOURITE TRACK</span>
Would have to be either the Queen is Dead because it is ectasy for me listening to that or Some Girls (to a lesser extent) which although it is lyrically poor, the music is among the most gorgeous things that Mr Marr has ever done. Bigmouth is also tres cool but the title track is best.

<span style='color:purple'>WORST TRACK</span>
For me because unusually this is not my favourite smiths album, this question would be best answered by a take your pick...I hate There is a light and I can't even tell you why, I guess I find the suicidal aspect to the song is more stupid than moving and I dunno the music isn't really much to write home about. I also hate Frankly Mr Shankly, whilst all the other Cemetry Gates and Vicar in a tutu boy with the thorn, I can listen to but it isn't a paticularly joyous affair

<span style='color:purple'>BEST LYRICS</span>
So many, funny lyrics: "Sweetness I was only joking when I said by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed."
"..she said I know you and you cannot sing, I said that's nothing you should hear me play piano!"

<span style='color:purple'>MOST RELEVANT LYRICS</span>
So many have mentioned them before but I shall reiterate, "I know it's over and it never really began, but in my heart is was so real."
"the sea wants to claim me the knife wants to slit me, do you think you can help me."
the bit in There is a light even though I don't like it also struck me as appalingly relevant was "...I thought oh god my chance has come at last, but then a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask."

<span style='color:purple'>OVERALL OPINION</span>
As aforementioned not my favourite that goes to Meat is Murder I'm afraid, I think this is their second best, better than the Smiths in a curious way - although these positions are very changeable in my head, but obviously better than Strangeways, which again hoonestly did little for me - although obviously better than other band's albums!!!

I don't know why but the songs here seem less weighty, both musically and certainly lyrically and the little flirtation with funk appears to have vanished and perhaps that's why I don't like it as much, I dunno..?
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby WordsAsOldAsSin » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:56 pm

favourite track: ooooh its a tie between frankly mr shankly and cemetry gates
although frankly mr shankly has no set chorus its soo catchy and witty i really enjoy listening to it and cemetry gates is such a light song on the heart (ironic) and just makes me think of happy days.

Your worst track: hmm again i dont dislike ANY smiths songs so my least favourite is never had no one ever i feel although it has many good qualities that it tends to drag on for too long , this maybe because its after i know its over so.....yeh

Best lyric: "so i broke into the palace with a sponge and a rusty spanner she said i know you and you cannot sing i said thats nothing you should hear me plat piano

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: as the flames rose to her roman nose and her walkmen started to melt" i always think thats gonna happen to mine so i hold onto my cd player tightly when those lyrics come on <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc :great album , fantastic songs and id probably recomend it to anyone who wants to know what the smiths are all about.
Last edited by WordsAsOldAsSin on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love is Natural and Real
But not for such as you and I, my love
WordsAsOldAsSin
Supreme

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:20 pm

Favourite track - Thats tricky right there, ummm right now either I know its over or The Boy With the Thorn, but most of the time its set on There is a Light... and Bigmouth Strikes Again

Least favourite track - every song on this album is so so good, but I reckon I'll have to say Vicar in a Tutu or Never had Noone Ever

Best Lyric - hmmmm perhaps "Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking when I said I'd like to smash every tooth in your head" or maybe "I want to live and I want to love, I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of"

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you - Pretty much the whole of "I Know Its Over" if i have to pick out a single lyric it would probably be "and as I climb into an empty bed, oh well, enough said" or "If your so funny then why are you on your own tonight? And if you're so clever, then why are you on your own tonight? If your so very entertaining, then why are you on your own tonight? If your so terribly good looking, then why are you on your own tonight?"

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc - very very good album, one of the best ever in my opinion. Not a bad song, and the home of some of the greatest music ever made. In case you couldnt tell, this album is alright
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:55 pm

gadzooks.

Your favourite track: the queen is dead, duh <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> the drum intro! oh it's all beautiful! <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->

Your worst track: never had no one ever <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->

Best lyric: too many! "i said charles don't you ever crave, to appear on the front of the daily mail- dressed in your mother's bridal veil?" <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->, 'life is very long when you're lonely'

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you:'life is very long when you're lonely' for the lyric.. song wise, possibly i know it's over.

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: i'm not amazing at pulling apart albums, but there's something about The Queen Is Dead that separates it from the others- i know all the others are different in their own ways, but this more so. it's more poppy than the others i suppose, and more fun, and the album i can lie and relax to or just get up and dance. it's also one of my favourite albums for singing everywhere, and alone in my bedroom pretending i'm morrissey *cough*. i just love it because every song except never had no one ever is pure genius! genius i tell ye.
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to Album By Album