The Queen Is Dead

Discuss each of the albums here.

Postby BigmouthSA » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:14 pm

Your favourite track: There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. My favourite song of all time, fantastic. Closely followed by I Know its Over, The Queen is Dead and Bigmouth...christ, what a f*cking brilliant album this is!

Your worst track: Bloody difficult to choose! Probably Vicar in a Tutu although I dont find Frankly, Mr Shankly as addictive listening as the others.

Best lyric: "...This position Ive held, it pays my way and it carodes my soul", it just fits brilliantly...my favourite lyrics are beneath though.

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you:

- I Know Its Over (esp. if your so funny/if your so very entertaining verse...beautiful) and There is A Light That Never Goes Out song wise...

lyrically...

- "Behind the hatred there lies, a murderous desire for love"

- "Now im outside your house...I hate to, intrude"

- "...Take me anywhere I dont care I dont care, driving in your car, I never never want to go home, because I havent got one", "A strange fear gripped me and I just couldnt ask".

- "All those people all those lives, where are they now...with loves, and hates and passions just like mine, they were born and then they lived and then they died, seems so unfair, I want to cry"

- "Past the pub who wrecks your body, and the church all it wants is your money...The queen is dead, boys"

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: Yesterday I said The Smiths album was rivalling this album for my favourite the Smiths did, but having listened to this album again today, all I can say is that it is by far the best album that music has ever produced. It is absolutely, unquestionably, beautiful. Musically, lyrically, placement, everything is perfect, although I infinately prefer live versions of Bigmouth... to the studio versio, still a great song though.

Regardless, what can I say of this album...quirky and dry humour form an explosive mix with wonderful, heart plucking lyrics of indescribable beautey, I cant say anymore, no words I conjure will convey the sheer brilliance and importance of The Queen is Dead, to me anyway, for it would surely even leave weird lover Wilde wordless.

<!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by BigmouthSA on Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'I dont get along with myself, and Im not too keen on anyone else!'

:D
BigmouthSA
Regular

Postby Truman Capote » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:18 pm

Your favourite track: "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"

Your worst track: "Vicar In A Tutu"

Best lyric: "Frankly Mr. Shankly"

"...but sometimes I feel more fulfilled making Christmas cards with the mantally ill".
"I know it`s over and it never really began, but in my heart it was soooo real".

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: tHEIR BEST Album.

Feel free to add any other comments about the album.: No, thanks, Elko.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Chorlton_Ruffian » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:38 pm

Your favourite track:
There is a light that never goes out, followed by The Queen is Dead.

Your worst track:
Vicar in a tutu

Best lyric:
''So, I broke into the palace
With a sponge and a rusty spanner
She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I know it's over
And it never really began
But in my heart it was so real
And you even spoke to me

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.:
I love it, contains many classics, but it's probably my 3rd favourite album. It doesn't have the rawness of the debut album or the musical departures of Strangeways. Fantastic middle era smiths though.
<div align="center">Image</div>
<div align="center"><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"I would rather eat my own testicles than reform The Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian."<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
Chorlton_Ruffian
Supreme

Postby shoeless child » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:37 am

Your favourite track: There Is A Light and I Know It's Over

Your worst track: Vicar In A Tutu

Best lyric:
All those people, all those lives
Where are they now ?
With loves, and hates
And passions just like mine
They were born
And then they lived
And then they died

Love is natural and real
But not for such as you and I, my love

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: Obviously it is an amazing album, one of the best ever made, but I love every Smiths album so much that I don't think I can rank them.
shoeless child
Supreme

Postby Alex » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:18 pm

Favourite track:
There is a light that never goes out
Worst track, lets say least favorite:
Never had no one ever
Best lyric:
I know it's over
The boy with the thorn in his side
This and Strangeways are my favorites.
Alex
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri May 19, 2006 1:17 am

Anyone else think 'Frankly, Mr. Shankly' is a blot on a classic album?
elko
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Fri May 19, 2006 1:47 am

not at all
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Fri May 19, 2006 1:55 am

elko wrote:Anyone else think 'Frankly, Mr. Shankly' is a blot on a classic album?

not really -
it did took me some time to really like this song, it was 'running behind' in comparison to the others, but now I see it as a source of great enjoyment. It's fun, it provides a point of counterballance to the more (melo)dramatic tracks that follow straight after. And I am particularly fond of the idea that TQID has it all in it. ;)
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri May 19, 2006 9:41 pm

Oh I know...but it just sounds so pathetic after The Queen Is Dead, to me the whole sound of it is completely different to the rest of the album.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Lazy Dyke » Sat May 20, 2006 10:24 am

Your favourite track: Meep! How can you possibly choose a best track off of this album. It's just an awesome album! It really is pure perfection. However I have managed painfully to select a few favourites.. "The Queen Is Dead", "I know it's over", "The boy with the thorn in his side", and "There is a light.."

Your worst track: THERE IS NOT ONE.

Best lyric: "Well I broke into the palace, with a sponge and a rusty spanner. She said "eh I know you and you cannot sing" I said "thats nothing you should hear me play piano!"" Just brilliant!

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: "Oh in the darkened underpass, I thought oh god my chance has come at last. But then a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask"

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: This is blatantly the most consistent and strong Smiths album.
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby Shakespeare's Sister » Sat May 20, 2006 12:33 pm

Your favourite track: There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Your worst track: Can't think of one

Best lyric:

A dreaded sunny day
So let's go where we're happy

And in the darkened underpass
I thought Oh God, my chance has come at last
But then a strange fear gripped me
And I just couldn't ask

My favourite Smith record, nothing can beat it.
<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Well I'm not listening no more<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Shakespeare's Sister
Smiths Nut!

Postby JaneSays » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:10 am

Your favourite track:
I would say The Queen Is Dead at the moment, the lyrics and the energy make this song so perfect.

Your worst track:
I know its over. Certainly not a weak track, but its just so depressing! I need to be in the right mood for it.

Best lyric:
"Past the pub that wrecks your body! and the church, all they want is your money! The Queen is dead boys and its so lonely on a limb...."

"Life is very long, when your lonely"

After HOH, this was the album that got me loving the smiths, timeless record.
JaneSays
Supreme

Postby Rodchenko » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:15 am

Your favourite track: There Is A Light....

Your worst track: Frankly, Mr Shankly

Best lyric: I know it's over, and it never really began but in my heart it was so real....

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: See above and also There Is a light that never goes out for it's lyrics.

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: A true masterpiece and probably the best album there ever was alltogether. I can't see any album that can match it's perfection when it comes to music and lyrics and production. Not even Disintegration by The Cure or Unknown Pleasures by Joy Divison, two other albums I hold very dearly....
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:33 am

Your favourite track: There Is A Light and I Know It's Over

Your worst track: wouldn't really say there is a bad song, so I skip this one I think

Best lyric:
"And in the darkened underpass, I thought: oh God, my chance has come at last
But then a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask"

Best lyric II:
"Take me out tonight, take me anywhere, I don't care, I don't care
Driving in your car, oh please don't drop me home
Because it's not MY home, it's THEIR home, and I'm welcome no more"

"And in the darkened underpass, I thought: oh God, my chance has come at last
But then a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask"
(a very Aspie lyric, yes, I think the issues with outing emotions are very recognisable to us. Emotions in general tend to be difficult for people with AS)

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: A highlight not only in Smiths history, but in music history. Only the Bunnymen albums will be ranked higher in my list.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby JNP369 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:05 pm

Hello,

I really do like this site. I hope I can do it justice?

Your favourite track: Cemetry Gates. Not only is the bassline kick, but the irony of the plagiarizing that Morrissey does, he condemns in this song.

Your worst track: Vicar in a tutu. Just do not like the rythym of the tune. Though I like the line "The roof of the Holy Name Church". I always thought that he was just making up a name of some church until I realized that there is a Holy Name Church.

Best lyric: "To die by your side is, well the priviledge and pleasure is mine". I just think that to respect that much of someone is overwhelming.

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: "Its so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind." As a young boy, I always felt a little shallow and a tad bit snobbish. Now it seems that I do not regard a man for his strengths and look down upon him for his weaknesses (learned from another artist named Rich Mullins). You have to work hard to be able to treat others as equals and individuals.

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: I think it flows from hard edged to smooth songs very nicely. The roller coaster ride thealbum takes you on brings you up, then drops you down like a great coaster should.

Jeff
JNP369

PreviousNext

Return to Album By Album