The Queen Is Dead

Discuss each of the albums here.

Postby elko » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm

pap369 wrote:I really do like this site. I hope I can do it justice?

Ooh, don't put pressure on the rest of us!

Some really interesting points mind, I totally agree about it being hard work to be 'gentle and kind' - I assume that I am just not ready to be nice to everyone yet. :rolleyes: (Do give y'self a proper introduction if you get a minute, Jeff - always nice to know who you're talking to.)
elko
Site Admin

Postby JNP369 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:39 pm

elko wrote:<!--quoteo(post=30020:date=Jun 19 2006, 09:05 PM:name=pap369)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pap369 @ Jun 19 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]30020[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
I really do like this site. I hope I can do it justice?

Ooh, don't put pressure on the rest of us!

Some really interesting points mind, I totally agree about it being hard work to be 'gentle and kind' - I assume that I am just not ready to be nice to everyone yet. :rolleyes: (Do give y'self a proper introduction if you get a minute, Jeff - always nice to know who you're talking to.)
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Born and raised a soccer (football) nut in Dallas, Texas. I have always had a soft spot for the UK growing up. I told myself that as soon as I was able I am going to visit England. I went for the 1st time over Thanksgiving 2002 and have been back 5 times since. I used to get BBC for a few hours on Sunday here in Dallas via public television. Every Sunday night I would watch three hours of the BBC. An hour of Benny Hill, an hour of Monty Python and an hour of English League football highlights.

Music has always been a part of my life. My three favorite bands are The Smiths, Depeche Mode and New Order. I am bummed that I never got to see The Smiths or Joy Division in concert, but I have seen DM, NO and Morrissey a number of times here in the states. I was in college from 1985 - 1989 and my first song by the Smiths I heard was... "punctured bicycle... (This Charming Man). I ran out and bought every Smiths cassette (I am old) I could find. My biggest kick out of music is the lyrics (though guitar, bass and drums are not too far behind). I can't stand to hear a song that does not say something, anything. I like bands that keep the core members and build themselves (not prefab). I have more recently worked on getting background on certain songs and there meanings. From Moors Murders, Whalley Range and Rusholme (who has excellent curry by the way) the music becomes more clear. I hope that I can meet up with some of you guys for a pint while I am town. I stay at the Britannia Sachas whenever I am in Manchester.

Jeff
JNP369

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:03 pm

pap369 wrote:Hello,

I really do like this site.

As I predicted: you'll be a regular soon enough, this forum is quite addictive and full of interesting people. So stick around, Jeff, you'll definitely enjoy this place!
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:26 pm

pap369 wrote:Hello,
Your worst track: Vicar in a tutu. Just do not like the rythym of the tune. Though I like the line "The roof of the Holy Name Church". I always thought that he was just making up a name of some church until I realized that there is a Holy Name Church.

Oh, I agree - though I liked it much more when I first heard it, but as time was apssing by, the attraction quickly faded - now I skip it, every time. Have not listened to it in more than a year, I suppose. At first the lyrics were entertaining me, but the whole track started to bore me with time - - so, for me it's 'the weakest link' on TQID>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: I think it flows from hard edged to smooth songs very nicely. The roller coaster ride thealbum takes you on brings you up, then drops you down like a great coaster should. <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I personally find it the least 'edgy' among The Smiths' albums - and always recommend it to new listeners, as there is something more smooth in general and more 'approachable' in it, imo. Even the people who are not really into this kind of music usually find it at least partially enjoyable - that's why I reckon it to be the 'easiest' Smiths' album - probably because of the lush production of the tracks.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As I predicted: you'll be a regular soon enough, this forum is quite addictive and full of interesting people. So stick around, Jeff, you'll definitely enjoy this place!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, Cp is so right - it is addictive, that's why we love it so much :D
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Hidden by Rags » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:24 pm

Your favourite track:
"There Is A Light That Never Goes Out". I know it's such an obvious choice, but I can't help it - it's the most beautiful song ever written. Beyond that, "I Know It's Over" is my second-favourite Smiths song - a real masterpiece. "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" is the first Smiths song I ever heard, and it's still one of my very favourites - it's so uplifting, when given the lyrics, it really shouldn't be - and then there's "The Queen is Dead", "Bigmouth Strikes Again", "Cemetry Gates," "Frankly, Mr Shankly" ...

Your worst track:
This is hard, because there isn't a track on there I don't like. It's either "Never Had No One Ever" or "Vicar in a Tutu", but both are really good songs, so I won't choose between them, because neither deserves to be labelled "worst". They're certainly not "weak links" on the album, because it doesn't have any.

Best lyric:
The entirity of "The Queen is Dead", "I Know It's Over" and "Cemetry Gates" are brilliant, some of the best lyrics Morrissey ever wrote. It's pointless trying to describe how great they are, because I'm never going get close to finding words that equal the brilliance of the lyrics themselves. "Frankly, Mr Shankly" is also great fun, and of course, the "Double-decker bus" line is one of the classics. But as a specific lyric, this from "I Know It's Over":

Sad veiled bride, please be happy
Handsome groom, give her room
Loud, loutish lover, treat her kindly
(Though she needs you
More than she loves you)
And I know it's over - still I cling
I don't know where else I can go
Over and over and over and over
Over and over, la ...
I know it's over
And it never really began
But in my heart it was so real

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you:
I really relate to a lot of the views in "The Queen is Dead", and as a tee-total atheist, the lines about the pub and the church in particular. "Bigmouth Strikes Again" (though I appreciate that it is tongue-in-cheek) reminds me very much of times when my sense of humour has got me into trouble. But as someone looking for a job and needing a house and enough money to get married and not knowing which way to go, it has to be this:

And when you want to Live
How do you start ?
Where do you go ?
Who do you need to know ?

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.:
The best album in history.
Hidden by Rags
Regular

Postby irishbloodirishheart » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:00 pm

Your favourite track: There Is A Light That Never Goes Out/ I Know Its Over (i can never choose between them!)

Your worst track: Never Had Noone Ever, (sounds even worse sandwiched between the amazing tracks I Know Its Over and Cemetry Gates)

Best lyric: She said : "I know you, and you cannot sing"
I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano" i :wub: this lyric (and song)

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate
It takes strength to be gentle and kind .... something i try to remember, and very true.

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: this is my joint favourite album (again i cant choose between it and The Smiths). its the one i always advice people i convert to The Smiths to buy, because it is more accessable than The Smiths

xxx
irishbloodirishheart
Advanced

Re: The Queen Is Dead

Postby WordsAsOldAsSin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:34 pm

Your favourite track: Cemetry Gates and There Is a Light That Never Goes Out (cant choose!)

Your worst track: Never had no one ever (overall, my worst smiths track ever)

Best lyric: "Some 9-year old tough who peddles drugs
I swear to God
I swear : I never even knew what drugs were"

To this day, i still dont know why i love these lines so much but i just do!

"Behind the hatred there lies
A murderous desire for love "

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.:
This album means a lot to me because even though theres one song i cannot listen to (never had no one ever), Every other song on this album has meant something to me during a period of my life. I would say this is probably my second favourite smiths album.
Love is Natural and Real
But not for such as you and I, my love
WordsAsOldAsSin
Supreme

Previous

Return to Album By Album