Strangeways, Here We Come

Discuss each of the albums here.

Postby elko » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:18 pm

Is it really their best album? Is it perfection, or does it fall a little flat? You tell me.

Strangeways...

Your favourite track:

Your worst track:

Best lyric:

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you:

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.:

Feel free to add any other comments about the album.
Last edited by elko on Mon May 15, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby girl_afraid » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:35 pm

God, I get far too excited about these things.

Your favourite track: Hm. Stop Me... really is one of the best Smiths songs ever, it's just so FUN, but then Last Night I Dreamt... is an absolutely gorgeous track, with possibly the best intro to any song. That moment where the vocals kick in (like BOW-ba-dee-ba-bow, LAST NIGHT I DREEEAMT) is just perfection, it really is - I love that little kind of electronicy swell just before, do you know the bit I mean? Gah, but then my overall favourite would have to be I Won't Share You, it's absolutely beautiful, so simple, and the lyrics are gorgeous, they're so sweet! I love the mandolin songs, they really should have been more. But, um, what is 'guile'? Is that what Morrissey's saying, "I want the freedom and I want the guile"?

Your worst track: Death At One's Elbow. It's quite ironic that this comes just before the (in my opinion) best track on the album - it makes I Won't Share You sound ever better! This track sounds a bit clumsy, and I don't like the intro very much, it's just all a bit odd, and doesn't fit in between Paint A Vulgar Picture and I Won't Share You. I suppose it offers a bit of comic relief but meh, it's just a bit substandard compared to the rest of the album

Best lyric: "I crashed down on the crossbar and the pain was enough to make a shy, bald Buddhist reflect and plan a mass murder" because it's just a really really good lyric and the analogy is so random but fitting, or "The note I wrote/As she read, she said/Has the Perrier gone straight to my head/Or is life sick and cruel instead?" because it actually is poetry, it has such a great rhythm.

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: A cross between Paint A Vulgar Picture (the "But they cannot hurt you, my darling, they can never touch you now" bit) and I Won't Share You because, oh, this is going to sound so cheesy, it's sort of how I feel about Morrissey... I know that just about every Smiths fan feels the same, and they all feel like he's talking to them and he's the only one who understands them, but I don't want to share him, he's MINE! Oh, also Last Night I Dreamt... for the obvious, whiny teenager reasons.

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: I actually have to disagree with Morrissey and Johnny, this isn't their best album. It has some absolutely fantastic tracks on it, and sees them experimenting a bit more on some of them, like A Rush And A Push... and Death Of A Disco Dancer (I love Moz's trippy piano playing on that track!) and Last Night..., but it never seems to quite hang together, and I really don't know why. The songs just don't seem to fit as well as on other albums.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:48 pm

Your favourite track: God, what a choice. Very tough call, and could really be any off the first side. I love Death Of A Disco Dancer, it sounds so fantastic and shows how much the band changed in just four or five years yet still sounded utterly fantastic, just in a different way. Last Night I Dreamt... is my ultimate favourite Smiths track, so it has to be my best on here, although it is not nesseccarily always the one that stands out when listening to the album. The beginning of it just makes the song so much better when it arrives.

Your worst track: This is a much easier choice, it come down to two tracks that I really don't think match the rest of the album. Unhappy Birthday and Paint A Vulgar Picture are decent enough songs but don't really have anything special for me. Death At One's Elbow I like more and more, it's certainly not my worst track, although it's not the most popular track in general. I'd agree with anyone who says that the second side doesn't match the first, it just doesn't blow you away, a few of the tracks come close to feeling like fillers.

Best lyric: "No hope, no harm, just another false alarm". No idea why, but rhythmically it fits so well, and when the music swells and Morrissey sings that I get emotional, which is actually a pretty rare occurance, even listening to The Smiths.

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: Can't think of anything right now, maybe Last Night... has some resonance with me.

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: 3rd, in front of The Smiths. Although next time I listen to it it will be my favourite again, that's just the way it goes.

Yes, I can see from here I got tired of writing this about halfway through, so I'll probably carry on later.
elko
Site Admin

Postby girl_afraid » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:37 am

Crap, I didn't say where I'd rank it against the others... Um, it used to be my second favourite, but I'm not sure anymore, possibly joint third with Meat. Oh, but then they're both bottom, and I don't want either of them being last! Dammit, The Smiths were just too good. <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mal_Adjusted » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:30 pm

Your favourite track: a rush and a push and the land is ours. wasnt initially probably was girlfriend in a coma 16 years back. but its such a great album opener just like headmaster ritual is too on mim.

Your worst track: paint a vulgar picture im afraid but its still not bad.

Best lyric: same as elkos i think

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: last night i dreamt that somebody loved me, the line the lyric and the chimes, haunting.

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: 2nd best
Mal_Adjusted
Advanced

Postby vasanum » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:36 am

favorite track: "last night i dreamt that somebody loved me".

worst track: oh, about half of them.

best lyric: "and so I drank one / and it became four / and when I fell on the floor / I drank more".

most relevance: the above and "last night i felt / real arms around me".

overall opinion: WORST EVER. <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by vasanum on Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
there is a season that never passes, and that is the <a href='http://www.xanga.com/vinylinmono' target='_blank'>season</a> of <a href='http://www.quietlyecstatic.com' target='_blank'>glass</a>.
vasanum

Postby elko » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:52 am

Vasanum, is there a reason for that? I mean, for me, side one alone puts it ahead of 'The Smiths'. Okay there are a couple of slightly weak tracks but overall I'd say it was the second or third best album, in terms of songs, and in how complete it feels.
elko
Site Admin

Postby girl_afraid » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:53 pm

Really? Personally, I think "The Smiths" hangs together much better than "Strangeways", it's more consistant in my opinion, tone-wise at least - "Strangeways" always seems so disjointed to me somehow. The songwriting is definitely more polished, as is the group as a whole, but it just lacks something to really hold it all together for me. I guess it might be because there isn't one main *BAM*-style track to really define the entire album, but I'm not sure.

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby vasanum » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Jan 13 2005, 12:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Jan 13 2005, 12:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Vasanum, is there a reason for that? I mean, for me, side one alone puts it ahead of 'The Smiths'. Okay there are a couple of slightly weak tracks but overall I'd say it was the second or third best album, in terms of songs, and in how complete it feels. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
it's the songs - i only really like "a rush and a push", "i started something", "stop me...", and "last night..." - the others just don't do it for me.

i actually really enjoy most of the self-titled, with maybe only "you've got everything now" being kind of not so great - but even that song is better than most of 'strangeways'.
there is a season that never passes, and that is the <a href='http://www.xanga.com/vinylinmono' target='_blank'>season</a> of <a href='http://www.quietlyecstatic.com' target='_blank'>glass</a>.
vasanum

Postby rubygirl » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:27 pm

Your favourite track:
A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours

Your worst track:
Stop Me If You Think etc.

Best lyric:
I travelled to a mystical time zone/ But I missed my bed and I soon came home...

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you:
They said there's too much caffeine in your bloodstream/ And the lack of real spice in your life
I find the lyrics to this one very entertaining - it's one of my all time favourites.

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: Sadly, I've only heard 5 songs from Strangeways, so I can't really judge on that.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:19 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rubygirl+Jan 14 2005, 08:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rubygirl @ Jan 14 2005, 08:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: Sadly, I've only heard 5 songs from Strangeways, so I can't really judge on that. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Ooh, you're missing out!

Just out of interest, what albums do you have?

Oh, and if you get a minute, do introduce yourself <a href='http://bristolforum.co.uk/smith/index.php?showtopic=32' target='_blank'>here</a>.

Cheers.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:05 pm

I love this album indeed very amazing its a grower to me as when i first heard it to be flat i thought it was a bit crap <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

Your favourite track: so many good ones to choose "i started something" is great
but then again so's " death of a disco dancer" and "stop me..." and " unhappy birthday" and "death at ones elbow" argh argh

Your worst track: " paint a vulger picture" is a bit to long and boring for my liking

Best lyric: to many to mention

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: "this story is old i know but it goes on"

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.:
amazing album up with TQID and MIM.
I'm spellbound, but a woman divides
And the hills are alive with celibate cries
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Supreme

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:12 pm

i should also mention why has a lot of people got something against death at one's elbow its an alrite rocky song to me with a cool tune.
I'm spellbound, but a woman divides
And the hills are alive with celibate cries
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Supreme

Postby chicken » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:20 am

finally got around to ordering this on disc today, among several other smiths works. time to retire the vinyl <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:05 am

Listened to this in its entirety today, so while it's still fresh on my mind:

Favorite track: Stop Me. I like the way the music changes throughout, and Johnny's guitaring before the verses start. Because I love the video, I'm emotionally attached to this song as well.

Lease favorite track: Well if I had to search hard, maybe A Rush and a Push (what, no guitars?!), but then again I like the ending. Unlike the general consensus, I do like Death at One's Elbow.

Best lyric: 'I walked a pace behind you at the soundcheck, You're just the same as I am' This line, wonderfully referenced in a Spin article on Morrissey (by Marc Spitz) choked me enough to write to them, which they printed! So not the best lyric, but maybe it also goes with lyric/line that has (indirect) relevance, I guess.

Overall opinion: I rate this 3rd after MIM and TQID. I love all the music, but some lyrics do not match up well with some of the songs (wit doesn't even come to mind: Unhappy Birthday, Girlfriend, Death at One's Elbow) I love this album just the same.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to Album By Album