Strangeways, Here We Come

Discuss each of the albums here.

Postby rubygirl » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Still Ill+Mar 12 2005, 10:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Still Ill @ Mar 12 2005, 10:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
Favorite track: Stop Me. I like the way the music changes throughout, and Johnny's guitaring before the verses start.  Because I love the video, I'm emotionally attached to this song as well.

<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I don't like the video at all - it's always seemed ridiculous to me. It is also used for I Started Something and I think it suits this track better - but I have special attachment to this particular one because it was the first Smiths'song I've ever encountered.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Qvist » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:56 am

Favorite track: Girlfriend in a Coma.
Least favorite track: Death of a Disco Dancer, despite the lyrics.
Best Lyric: Unhappy Birthday

Overall: I thought at the time that this was the most pedestrian of their efforts to date. It never acquired an importance to me similar to the previous albums, and it remains the least frequently played among them to this day.

Which isn't to say it's not a bloody good album.

cheers
Qvist
Regular

Postby tallulahtaurus » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Overall: I thought at the time that this was the most pedestrian of their efforts to date. It never acquired an importance to me similar to the previous albums, and it remains the least frequently played among them to this day.

Which isn't to say it's not a bloody good album.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that's my opinion exactly Ovist....!!
Although Morrissey and Marr think it's their best!!
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby Asleep » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:08 pm

Your favourite track:Paint A Vulgar Picture

Your worst track:Death At One's Elbow

Best lyric:And when it fails to recoup ?
Well, maybe :
You just haven't earned it yet, baby

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you:Last night I dreamt
That somebody loved me
No hope, no harm
Just another false alarm

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.:
2nd to the queen is dead in my opinion.
<span style='font-family:Impact'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Oh, I can't help quoting you
Because everything that you said rings true </span>
</span>
Asleep
Advanced

Postby Chorlton_Ruffian » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:26 pm

Your favourite track:
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before.

Your worst track:
Death At One's Elbow. Either that or Last Night I Dreamt, which I think is vastly overrated.

Best lyric:
And the pain was enough to make
A shy, bald, buddhist reflect
And plan a mass murder

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you:
Typical me
I started something
...And now I'm not too sure

2nd place behind The Smiths.
<div align="center">Image</div>
<div align="center"><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"I would rather eat my own testicles than reform The Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian."<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
Chorlton_Ruffian
Supreme

Postby Alex » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:45 am

Your favourite track:
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
Your worst track:
Death At One's Elbow
Best lyric:
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me
No hope, no harm, just another false alarm <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->
I won't share you.
With the drive and ambition,
The zeal I feel, this is my time.
This and The queen is dead, I like them the most.
Alex
Smiths Nut!

Postby Shy Bald Buddhist » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:47 pm

Your favourite track:
Any of the first five are great but probably "I Started Something..." (but only just ahead of "Stop Me...")

Your worst track:
Unhappy Birthday. Doesn't do much for me. A lot of people will go for Death At One's Elbow but it's an alright bouncy track.

Best lyric:
"Love peace & harmony - oh very nice, very nice, very nice but maybe in the next world."

Dunno really.

All four studio albums seem to be on a high par with each other - probably my third favourite though behind the self-titled one and Queen Is Dead but ahead of Meat Is Murder.
Shy Bald Buddhist

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:32 am

I contemplate sending Unhappy Birthday to my ex every April <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Bref » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:14 pm

Your favourite tracks:
Rush and a push, I started something and I won't share you

Your worst track:
Unhappy Birthaday

Best lyric:
"I travelled through a mystical time zone and I missed my bed and I soon came home"

"Love, peace and harmony......very nice ......but maybe in the next world"

An excellent album.Shows the band are evolving and pushing musical boundaries.Morrissey is on top form as usual. My third favourite album
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where,
we don't know where.
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby Chorlton_Ruffian » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:26 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Shy Bald Buddhist+Dec 29 2005, 11:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shy Bald Buddhist @ Dec 29 2005, 11:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Your worst track:
Unhappy Birthday. Doesn't do much for me. A lot of people will go for Death At One's Elbow but it's an alright bouncy track.
<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
I couldn't disagree more.

Unhappy Birthday is one of my favourites from Strangeways. I think the criticism it gets is overly harsh, it must be the silly dog killer lyrics that make it sucha lightning rod. But the rhythm and guitar on that track are great and overlooked too.

Death at One's Elbow however, is probably the worst Smiths song ever. I even like Golden Lights more, is that a sign of madness? <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->
<div align="center">Image</div>
<div align="center"><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"I would rather eat my own testicles than reform The Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian."<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
Chorlton_Ruffian
Supreme

Postby madmancmonkey » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:31 pm

Your favourite track: Last night I dreamnt/ I wont share you

Your worst track: Death at ones elbow

Best lyric: I wont share you, with the drive and ambition, the zeal I feel this is my time.

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: The above. All the people that have failed ther lives around me or try to bring me down ' I wont share you with the drive and ambition'

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: I hate to choose between them to be honest.
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby bernie brown » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:12 am

I'm really into this one. Pity about the boring cover though apparently Moz had a better one in mind but Harvey Kietel (?) said no only to change his mind too late.

So favourite song : 1. Paint a vulgar picture 2. A rush and a push 3. Unhappy Birthday 4. I wont share you 5. Last night I dreamt

Worst song : I tend to skip over "death at one's elbow". After "paint a vulgar picture" I'm perfectly ready for "I wont share you" and feel "death" is a bit of an intrusion

best lyric : Paint a vulgar picture is very clever throughout, also some great stuff in Disco dancer eg..
And if you think peace is a common goal
That goes to show how little you know....

Lyric I can relate to :
" surprised to still be on my own...but oh..dont mention love
I'd hate the pain and the shame all over again...

How do I rate it : Right up there. I really like it a lot and I find it no surprise it ranked #19 in the NME all-time best brit album poll ( not that means anything really) At the mo I love them all except I havent really hit it off with Meat is Murder yet.
the only Smiths fan in the village
bernie brown
Advanced

Postby bernie brown » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:13 am

I forgot to say about Unhappy birthday..the bit that I just totally love is the moment when Moz holds the song up and then sings "from the one you left behind" and the band then roll on .
Also , I thought more folks would be into "paint a vulgar picture" for the beaut guitar solo in it. There's not that many out there in Smiths-land. Anther fades away before it really kicks in on " Last Night I dreamt". This one in "Paint a vulgar Picture" is really breezy and makes me feel good.
Also I love "Paint a vulgar picture" because it does seem to sum up that thing about the Smiths that refused to do llots of video clips and refused to pretend they were singing live on TV when they weren't, and were really more about being real than making a fast buck. etc. A bit of resistance to the whole money-making scheme. What do you think ?
the only Smiths fan in the village
bernie brown
Advanced

Postby rubygirl » Tue May 16, 2006 4:14 am

bernie brown wrote:Also I love "Paint a vulgar picture" because it does seem to sum up that thing about the Smiths that refused to do llots of video clips and refused to pretend they were singing live on TV when they weren't, and were really more about being real than making a fast buck. etc. A bit of resistance to the whole money-making scheme. What do you think ?

yeah, they deserve a lot of respect for this. That's one of the reasons I love them so much.

On another note, I am growing more and more attached to I Won't Share You - I must confess, I've been neglecting this song for quite a while, till one day my friend Aleks (who's also a member here but is unfortunately too busy to post) pointed out that is one of the most touching & deep-felt love songs she's ever heard...it somehow lit a spark in me. So, I finally gave the song the attention it deserves - and it really is one gorgeously beautiful and emotionally laden track. :rolleyes:
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue May 16, 2006 8:54 pm

rubygirl wrote:<!--quoteo(post=18894:date=Feb 16 2006, 06:13 AM:name=bernie brown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bernie brown @ Feb 16 2006, 06:13 AM) [snapback]18894[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Also I love "Paint a vulgar picture" because it does seem to sum up that thing about the Smiths that refused to do llots of video clips and refused to pretend they were singing live on TV when they weren't, and were really more about being real than making a fast buck. etc. A bit of resistance to the whole money-making scheme. What do you think ?

yeah, they deserve a lot of respect for this. That's one of the reasons I love them so much.

On another note, I am growing more and more attached to I Won't Share You - I must confess, I've been neglecting this song for quite a while, till one day my friend Aleks (who's also a member here but is unfortunately too busy to post) pointed out that is one of the most touching & deep-felt love songs she's ever heard...it somehow lit a spark in me. So, I finally gave the song the attention it deserves - and it really is one gorgeously beautiful and emotionally laden track. :rolleyes:
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Oh, definitely.

Most emotional Smiths track for me, along with 'Please, Please, Please...', the fade-out just as Johnny starts playing, it's representative of so much, and sounds just beyond description.
elko
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Album By Album