Hatful Of Hollow

Discuss each of the albums here.

Postby elko » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:38 am

I'm not sure whether I said I was going to do this or not, but I am, so I have, and here it is:

Your favourite track:

Your worst track:

Best lyric:

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you:

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.:

Feel free to add any other comments about the album.
Last edited by elko on Mon May 15, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:31 pm

Fine, I'll go first then <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo-->

Your favourite track: 'Reel Around The Fountain'. On this album it shines so brightly, I think Simon Goddard mentioned that this was probably the definitive recording of it, well, even if he didn't say it, it's so true. Quite beautiful, especially the ending, that 'I doo' and all that, just brilliant. 'Please, Please, Please...' is also outstanding even amongst such great company.

Your worst track: Probably 'How Soon Is Now?', as great as it is, it just doesn't really feel special to me, all the other tracks just sound so beautiful, and this one is quite mundane I find. Other than this, every single song is fantastic.

Best lyric: "Oh, but dreams have a knack of just not coming true, and time is against me now"

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: The whole of Hatful Of Hollow is somehow intrinsically linked in my memory to around a year ago, and obviously Girl Afraid pretty much sums up relationships at that age, or at least my experiences. I think this albumn contains the most insightful and interesting lyrics of any Smiths album. That lyric above ("Oh, but dreams...") also resonates with me, something to do with desperation, and failure I guess.

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: One of my very favourites. Easily better than The Smiths in my opinion, it just sounds so pure. I love the guitar on it, it's the best representation of that jangly Smiths sound, without the mess on the debut album, and with better songs.
elko
Site Admin

Postby flyawayducky » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:06 pm

Your favourite track; This Night Has Opened My Eyes...I love the darkness and mystery that is the lyrics and sound of this song..for me there is indeed a certain night element to it...how it deals with the issue...the two conflicting minds...the guilt......how morrissey is capable of making lyrics that deal with it so well...that is why this song is my favourite..

Your worst track; definetly How Soon Is Now..the song doesnt do anything for me...william it was really nothing comes close...

Best lyric...Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body? I dunno...

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you I think as elko said..the whole album just sums up life...life whether it is happy or despondant..and it would be impossible to simply pick one...

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc. This is my favourite Smiths album..if only for the slightly different versions of 'what difference does it make', 'hand in glove', 'still ill' and of course..'this charming man'. I love the raw edge of this album...and the variety of songs...This album always gives me a really nostalgic feeling when I listen to it...
He says behind my eyes I'm hiding..
flyawayducky

Postby elko » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:48 pm

Having recently listened to this album a couple of times, it's still probably the album I connect with most closely. Maybe it's not the best, but still, this review made me laugh. It's from 1984 I think...

<!--QuoteBegin-Adam Sweeting+ Melody Maker--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Adam Sweeting @ Melody Maker)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->

"The eminently quotable Morrissey said it himself. On the subject of Lloyd Cole, he told Ian Pye: 'Lloyd is a tremendously nice person, much more fascinating than anything he's ever put on vinyl...' I've no idea whether Morrissey can be described as 'nice' or not - I'd suspect not - but just switch his name for Lloyd's and you're close to my reaction to The Smiths. In other words, the things which obviously go on in Morrissey's head from dawn til dusk and beyond are a damn sight more interesting than Smiths records. I keep waiting for the exception, but so far all I've come up with is 'Back to the Old House,' an affecting little piece where The Smiths' formulaic modal melodies match neatly with a lyric where, for once, Morrissey isn't trying to be Dorian Gray. 'Old House' makes an appearance on 'Hatful Of Hollow' which is something, I suppose. The LP is a collection of Radio 1 sessions The Smiths recorded for John Peel and David Jensen (forgive him, Lord), four sessions in all that, at the last count, have been transmitted 12 times, according to the rather nicely-written biog included here for the benefit of ignorant hacks. In addition, you get 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' and 'William, It Was Really Nothing' plus B-sides excluding 'Suffer Little Children'. That's caused quite enough fuss already. For f3.99, it's a generously-filled package, always assuming, of course, you want more Smiths in the first place. I can't for the life of me see why anybody would want to own a copy of 'William, It Was Really Nothing' under any circumstances, especially if they already had a copy of the almost identical 'What Difference Does It Make?' 'Handsome Devil' is another job round the same chord sequence only a little quicker, while 'Hand In Glove' (produced by the band themselves) appears to have a few possibilities which remain stubbornly unexplored. Perhaps I haven't been quite fair. 'How Soon Is Now?' features an ominous mechanical throb which gives The Smiths a sinister quality somewhat removed from their usual Edwardian drawing-room whisper, while 'Reel Around the Fountain' really deserves better than they dull grey mix it receives here. Both it and 'Heaven Knows' recall uncannily the fumbling guitars and fractured melodic musing of the lamented Bronte Sisters, another band too clever for their own good. Perhaps Morrissey should be read and not heard. Time he did the singles again, come to think of it."<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
elko
Site Admin

Postby rubygirl » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I can't for the life of me see why anybody would want to own a copy of 'William, It Was Really Nothing' under any circumstances, especially if they already had a copy of the almost identical 'What Difference Does It Make?'<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Interesting logic. Poor me never even realized how identical they were.
<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Perhaps Morrissey should be read and not heard.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Perhaps what we really needed here was this guy to open our eyes.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rubygirl+Apr 6 2005, 09:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rubygirl @ Apr 6 2005, 09:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I can't for the life of me see why anybody would want to own a copy of 'William, It Was Really Nothing' under any circumstances, especially if they already had a copy of the almost identical 'What Difference Does It Make?'<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Interesting logic. Poor me never even realized how identical they were. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
To be honest I'm not sure what he's on about there. I mean, musically the two songs are not alike, nor in structure or really even in lyrical content.
elko
Site Admin

Postby rubygirl » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:36 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Apr 6 2005, 09:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Apr 6 2005, 09:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
To be honest I'm not sure what he's on about there. I mean, musically the two songs are not alike, nor in structure or really even in lyrical content.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I socond that, Elko - absolutely!
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Asleep » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:56 pm

My favourite track:Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

My worst track:Back To The Old House

Best lyric:I was looking for a job, and then I found a job
And heaven knows I'm miserable now

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you:These Things Take Time Oh, the alcoholic afternoons
When we sat in your room
They meant more to me
Than any, than any living thing on earth
They had more worth
Than any living thing on earth
On earth, on earth, oh

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.:Bloody good album but in my opinion dies off towards the end i preferf the world wont listen to be honest.
<span style='font-family:Impact'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Oh, I can't help quoting you
Because everything that you said rings true </span>
</span>
Asleep
Advanced

Postby Qvist » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:58 am

Favorite song: On no album is it harder to choose, but very well: This charming man. Though I slightly prefer the more upbeat 7" version, the album version has a lot going for it too, with its pleasant, strolling flow. Main challengers would be How soon is now and Please, please, please.

Least favorite song: I don't really think there are any very weak moments here, but if pressed, I'd say Reel around the fountain.

Best lyrics: How soon is now

Most relevant to me: Please,please, please: Love the melody, love the mood, love the lyrics - and could always relate to all three.

Overall opinion: It has always been among my favorites, and I think it has stood the test of time possibly better than any of the others.

cheers
Qvist
Regular

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Sun May 15, 2005 1:01 pm

Favourite song : What difference does it make? Possibly my first memory from my love affair with The Smiths

Least favourite song : I agree with Qvist, I don't think that there are raelly any weak points on this album. However How Soon is Now just doesn't seem to quite fit the mood of the rest of the tracks, and despite having some excellent lyrics... "Well You say its going to happen now, well what exactly do you mean? See I've already waited to long, and all my hope is gone" this song is probably my least favourite on the album.

Favourite lyric : "But I don't want a lover I just want to be tied to the back of your car"

Most relevant to me : Thats an interesting one, it changes depending on my mood. Recently I was listening to Please Please Please on loop, but at times I have thought that that song was far too miserable. Every song on that album has touched me in a different way depending on my mood while listening.

Overall opinion : An excellent peice of music. I loved their debut album and this is just a continuation of the excellence that you can find there. This Charming Man and Reel Around The Fountain seem to sound better on this album, and it manages to encompass several different emotions and atmospheres throughout its course.
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Fri May 27, 2005 6:29 pm

favourite song: this night has opened my eyes-just a beautiful song in every way!

Least favourite: back to the old house- slightly dull compared to the rest of the album ,not one that sticks out

Favourite lyrics: "does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?i dont know"

Most relevant: this charming man -mainly because it was the 1st smiths track i truly loved!

Overall opinon: fantastic album, one of my personal smiths favourites. such a great collection, from the really upbeat and energetic summery kind of stuff to the beautifully depressing songs like 'this night..', something for every mood! and the peel version of charming man cannot be beaten, truly wonderful version of an already amazing song!
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri May 27, 2005 10:37 pm

Yep, to me this remains the most impressive, and beautiful Smiths release out there - at this early stage Morrissey and Marr's parts were more deeply linked, and I think it shows. Whereas towards the end, perhaps Morrissey had to fit lyrics around Johnny's song, the early era Smiths tunes sound like they were created as a single entity. Not a bad song on it, and it's by far the album I most listen to of theirs.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:28 pm

Your favourite track:
Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
Your worst track:
Still Ill
Best lyric:
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.:
Nice to hear some of these these songs live.

I like these threads, but they're really hard <!--emo&:wacko:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by Alex on Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
Smiths Nut!

Postby weasey » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:03 pm

Hatful of Hollow is probably my favourite Smiths album as it's the one I have the greatest love for its the one that sticks out in my mind when I think of their back catologue. All though The Smiths contested it's number one position in my affections for a short while, it still reigns victorious because it has a long lasting quality whereby I can go back to it after sometime and still be stunned by it. This could be down to the fact that it was the first Smith's album I bought.

I don't think I can break it down as suggested because it is the overall sound and feel of it, which I think represents my favourite time for the band, is so excellently cohesive. When you consider it was only a compilation it makes it all the more impressive.

If it's my favourite Smiths album that automatically makes it my favourite album as well.
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby atomium » Wed May 17, 2006 5:25 pm

Your favourite track: "Girl Afraid" Or "This Charming Man
", Great songs both of them. 'Girl Afraid' was one of the first Smiths songs I heard so it's got a special place in my heart.

Your worst track: Probably "How Soon Is Now", it's very good, but I just find the others more appealing.

Best lyric: "No, it's NOT like any other love, this one is different because it's us!"

Probably 'Girl Afraid', it's just something about it that makes me happy. Though 'Hand In Glove' also means a lot to me. :rolleyes:

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: It's a great album, no doubt. There are so many excellent songs on Hatful. It's very difficult to say how it's compared to the others, because all of the albums (especially 'The Queen Is dead') have got so many beautiful songs..But Hatful ranks as one of my favourite alums, it's so strong.

Grytten (A Norwegian writer who also is a fan of The Smiths) has written a book called 'Bikubesong' which is a collection of short stories, the first one is so beautiful, and will most definitely appeal to all Smiths Fans. it's called "Syng meg i søvn" or 'Sing Me to Sleep" in English. The story is so amazing, if anyone is interested I can translate it into English and send it... B)
atomium
Supreme

Next

Return to Album By Album