Hatful Of Hollow

Discuss each of the albums here.

Postby rubygirl » Wed May 17, 2006 9:47 pm

atomium wrote:
Grytten (A Norwegian writer who also is a fan of The Smiths) has written a book called 'Bikubesong' which is a collection of short stories, the first one is so beautiful, and will most definitely appeal to all Smiths Fans. it's called "Syng meg i søvn" or 'Sing Me to Sleep" in English. The story is so amazing, if anyone is interested I can translate it into English and send it... B)

oh, sounds tempting - would you really do it? If it's not a bother, of course...
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed May 17, 2006 10:02 pm

I'd definitely be interested if it's feasible, no need if it's any trouble though :)
elko
Site Admin

Postby atomium » Thu May 18, 2006 9:37 am

Yeah, I'll transelate it...Need to work on my English skills anyway, so I'll take it as practise.
atomium
Supreme

Postby Lazy Dyke » Sat May 20, 2006 10:14 am

Your favourite track: "Handsome Devil" the only compilation it is on really, I love this song. The lyrics, the extremely controversial lyrics are brilliant! And the acoustic quality fits very well.

Your worst track: "Accept yourself" not sure what it is, I wouldn't call it a bad track, just the one that strikes me the least.

Best lyric: "Mine eyes have seen the glory of the sacred wunderkind
You took me behind a dis-used railway line
And said "I know a place where we can go
Where we are not known"
And then you gave me something that I won't forget too soon "
This whole paragraph, I love these things take times generally though.

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: "And if you must, go to work - tomorrow, Well, if I were you I really wouldn't bother"

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: I love this album, the acoustic quality is really nice. It was the first Smiths album/compilation I heard so it will always have a special place.
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby Shakespeare's Sister » Sat May 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Your favourite track: Handsome Devil

Your worst track: This Night Has Opened My Eyes

Best lyric:

In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you:

I am human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.:

Great album, 16 songs full of Smith goodness.
<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Well I'm not listening no more<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Shakespeare's Sister
Smiths Nut!

Postby JaneSays » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:23 am

Your favourite track: How Soon Is Now?

Your worst track: This Charming Man, I can't help being dissapointed with this version, I much prefer the version on their debut

Best lyric:

"There's a club, if you'd like to go
You could meet somebody who really loves you
So you go, and you stand on your own
And you leave on your own
And you go home, and you cry
And you want to die"

"Others conquered love - but I ran
I sat in my room and I drew up a plan
Oh, but plans can fall through (as so often they do)
And time is against me now..."

First Smiths album i ever listened to, and was completely blown away and to this day it remains my favourite Smiths album. The memories of gradually growing to love each track, walking back and forth to college with it blasting. Words cannot describe how much i love this album.
Last edited by JaneSays on Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
JaneSays
Supreme

Postby kurt » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:27 am

Ahhh Hatful Of Hollow, easily my Favorite album by The Smiths! Or anyone at all! I love the live version of 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others' that song has a brilliant guitar melody, My dad told me to learn it, I was just like, nah i doubt I'd ever be able to learn that! But i put my mind to it, and after about half an hour of learning it, i finally got it!
But my guitar playing aside, The live version of that song is my favorite, for many reasons, for one, Marrs guitar was capo'ed on the 4th fret, making it high pitch (something i love about The Smiths) and Moz just seems to growl alot in it! I like that haha :)

[Edit]Sorry guys, i found out today that it was a different album haha :P but still i have a good point ><
Last edited by kurt on Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<div align="left"><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green"><!--/coloro-->Everything you say to me takes me One step closer to the edge</div>

<div align="right">and I'm about to break<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
kurt
Supreme

Re: Hatful Of Hollow

Postby WordsAsOldAsSin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:06 pm

Your favourite track: Still Ill , i do think its better than the other version. This one has a lot more feeling , also who doesnt love the Harmonica at the beginning?

Your worst track: i really dont think there is one. i've tried really hard to think about this but i really dont feel there is one track worse than the others. sorry :/

Best lyric: "Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore"
Its the sadness in finding out that you'll never find what you've been searching for.

"Oh, who and what to blame ?
Oh, anything is hard to find
When you will not open your eyes "
I feel like sometimes i really do moan too much about things i can control, and i think back to these words and i get a bit of a reality check.

I like the album but i actually bought this album after id bought all the others so i felt like i was paying for the same songs again, even if they sounded slighly different.
Love is Natural and Real
But not for such as you and I, my love
WordsAsOldAsSin
Supreme

Postby elko » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:49 pm

Weird how our perpsective can change how we feel about something. I might well have felt like I was buying 'the same songs' if I'd got it last. As it was though, Hatful Of Hollow was the first time I heard the Smiths as a young band, a really dynamic and fresh sound, as opposed to the more considered sound of The Queen Is Dead and Strangeways.
elko
Site Admin

Postby WordsAsOldAsSin » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:07 am

i think you're right, i actually wish i had bought this album first because i think i wouldve appreciated it much more, ahh never mind.
Love is Natural and Real
But not for such as you and I, my love
WordsAsOldAsSin
Supreme

Previous

Return to Album By Album