Louder Than Bombs/World Won't Listen

Discuss each of the albums here.

Postby elko » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:24 pm

Seeing as we did Hatful Of Hollow, it makes sense to do this one, even though in my opinion it's a far less cohesive album. I'm counting 'Louder Than Bombs' and 'The World Won't Listen' as one and the same, because they virtually are.

Please choose...

Your favourite track:

Your worst track:

Best lyric:

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you:

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.:

Feel free to add any other comments and that.
Last edited by elko on Mon May 15, 2006 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Qvist » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:47 am

Best song: That’d have to be “There is a light that never goes outâ€
Qvist
Regular

Postby elko » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:41 pm

Your favourite track: Rubber Ring - what a song! Just ahead of You Just Haven't Earn't It Yet Baby I'd say, but equally fun.

Your worst track: Golden Lights. Predictable but true.

Best lyric: "Dublin, Dundee, Humberside..." So bad it's good.

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: None of it, really.

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: It's the happiest album without a doubt, which makes it good at certain times and kind of passes me by at others. My least favourite, probably.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Mr-Shankly » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:00 pm

Your favourite track: Rubber Ring or sweet and tender hooligan

Your worst track: Golden Lights

Best lyric: 'So when your dancing and laughing and finally living, hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly' Superb prophetic words.

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: Probably the above as I know one day I shall grow out of my slight Moz obessesion, but he shall always hold a special place in my heart.

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: Hard to decide! But it's probably joint third with Meat is Murder.
Names, secret names. But never in my favour.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mr-Shankly » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:01 pm

p.s. Elko, do you still have the link to the page where it had the 20 reasons why Rubber Ring is the best smiths song? Cheers.
Names, secret names. But never in my favour.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:35 pm

The forum topic on it is <a href='http://bristolforum.co.uk/smith/index.php?showtopic=100' target='_blank'>here</a>.

Questions of this nature are probably best PM'd to me in future, so as to keep the thread on topic.
elko
Site Admin

Postby rubygirl » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:20 pm

Your favourite track:
<span style='color:purple'>Asleep/ Rubber Ring/ Sweet And Tender Hoologan/ You Just haven't Earned It Yet Baby ....oh, god, how can I pick up less than a dozen, it's The Smiths we are talking about <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> here</span>
Your worst track:
Heaven Knows I am Miserable Now - it just doesn't do it for me, one of the very few tracks by The Smiths that I always skip

Best lyric:

<span style='color:red'>You left
Your girlfriend on the platform
With this really ragged notion that you'll return
But she knows
That when he goes
He really goes </span>

Hi<span style='color:green'>llarious, ain't it?!</span>

<span style='color:blue'>But you know where you came from, you know where
You're going and you know where you belong
You said I was ill, and you were not wrong
But I can't believe that you'd ever care
And so, you will never care</span>

as well as

<span style='color:green'>Yes, you're older now
And you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you </span>

I rate this album pretty high as I enjoy listening to it a lot and it contains some of my all time faves - Rubber Ring, Asleep, tracks I cannot do without, though I prefer some of the other versions of songs like These Thing Take Time and Stretch Out And Wait.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby WordsAsOldAsSin » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:14 pm

I dont feel that louder than bombs and the world wont listen as the same (plus if you say theyre the same then ive basically forked out some more of my hard earned money for practically the same album!) so im going to do louder than bombs.

favourite track: thi is very difficult, sweet and tender hooligan is just fantastic but i also love heaven knows im miserable now so its a tie between both of them.

Your worst track: hmmm (i know youve heard me say this a million times before and i will say it again) i dont dislike ANY smiths songs so my least favourite woyld proabably be london.

Best lyric: "Yes, you’re older now and you’re a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you" this always sends a chill down my spine , it such a great song but thats my favourite part.

"Poor woman strangled in her very own bed as she read but that's OK
because she was old and she would have died anyway" only morrissey would have to the guts to say somthing like that and make it sound witty.

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you:"You just haven't earned it yet, baby you must suffer and cry for a longer time" thats exaclty how i felt at the time when i first heard this song and it jusr seemed to relevant to my life.

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: a fantastic album , with a great selection of songs beautifully done, good value for money <!--emo&:B-->Image<!--endemo-->
Love is Natural and Real
But not for such as you and I, my love
WordsAsOldAsSin
Supreme

Postby Truman Capote » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:44 pm

favourite track: "THIS NIGHT HAS OPENED MY EYES"

Your worst track: "GOLDEN LIGHTS", even if when I am high I enjoy it.

Best lyric: Probably, "GIRL AFRAID"

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: "HEAVEN KNOWS I`M MISSERABLE NOW"

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: A good way to start.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby scavenger » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:43 pm

favorite track: this night has opened my eyes...lyrically speaking i think its just brilliant and i love the vocals (but then again moz always sounds good to me)

worst track: id have to say golden lights

best lyric: i have a few...

boot the grime of this world in the crotch dear and dont go home tonight. Come out and find the one that you love and who loves you. (ive secretly always wished to "throw my homework onto the fire" and go out and find a 16 year old morrissey waiting to fall in love with me..selfish i know but <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo--> )

but last night the plans for a future war was all i saw on channel four

but i know that you would like me if only you could see me, if only you could meet me

line i relate to: theres really too many, looking at the lyric book of nearly any smiths album is like reading my diary...as im sure the same goes for most smiths fans
Oh, but don't mention love
I'd hate the pain of the strain all over again
A rush and a push and the land that
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
And people who are weaker than you or I
They take what they want from life
scavenger
Supreme

Postby Boywiththethorninhisside » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:59 pm

Louder Than Bombs

Your favourite track:

Oscillate Wildly and Stretch Out And Wait - because I have most of the other "good" (IMHO) tracks on other albums

Your worst track:

I hate to be so dull as to say Golden Lights, and I do like Johnny and Andy's playing on that track...so, if we exclude GL, then Sweet And Tender Hooligan, because it's repetitive and should have been at least 30 seconds shorter.

Best lyric:

And you never knew how much I really liked you / Because I never even told you / Oh, and I meant to

Because it rings to true, as of course does the following...

I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour / But heaven knows I'm miserable now

A great album of course, but without This Charming Man, There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, The Boy With The Thorn In His Side and Well I Wonder, it could never be a perfect album.
It's not enough as a standalone companion to a long journey with your CD player, you need another Smiths album with you to fill in the omissions.
<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->www.myspace.com/gesekki<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
Boywiththethorninhisside
Regular

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:05 pm

Well.
This is going to be confusing
<!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:15 pm

<!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo--> I did once ask what he wished to be called. But your avatar does makes you easy to spot, Ed.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:26 pm

And I'm sure my glittering personality and insightful comments will set me apart <!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo-->

<!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by The Boy with a thorn in his side on Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:06 am

This may be my favorite Smiths record because it is an awesome compliation and I just can't get enough of it.
Best? Everything but Ask
Worst? Ask
Best Lyric? you can punch me, you can kick me, you can break my spine but you won't change the way I feel 'cause I love you
Overall Album: I love it!!! I feel like it was put otgether perfectly and I couldn't enjoy it more... unless Moz was there, then it owuld alll be golden :-P
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to Album By Album