The Smiths (eponymous)

Discuss each of the albums here.

Postby elko » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-BigmouthSA+Aug 15 2005, 12:18 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BigmouthSA @ Aug 15 2005, 12:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Your favourite track: So difficult to choose! Probably Youve Got Everything Now.

Your worst track: Again, difficult. Probably Hand That Rocks the Cradle which grows a bit thin musically after a while, in my opinion, and because I cant really relate to the lyrics as well as I can the other songs. Miserable Lie is disapointing in a sense in that the beggining is great, I just think the falsetto part ruins it a little.

Best lyric: Your prejudice wont keep you warm tonight!

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: Song wise, at this moment, Youve got everything now, closely followed by Pretty Girls Make Graves.

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: I think quite honestly its an excellent album. My favourite album changes all the time, but this one is regularly at the top of my personal charts, as it were. It catches The Smiths at their raw best in my opinion, although I dont know much about production and such like, ive heard people say that its quite a poorly produced album. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
I would agree with pretty much all of that. THTRTC I have never really liked, although I must admit I've never truly loved this album as I have with all the others.

The poor production really shows to me, all the songs sound totally flat, it speaks voumes to me that most songs sound better on Hatful Of Hollow. Production is supposed to emphasis a songs strengths, not override them.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Truman Capote » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:38 am

Your favourite track: "Reel Around The Fountain", it`s just supreme.

Your worst track: "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle"

Best lyric: "Suffer Little Children"

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: "Pretty Girls Make Graves"; because it`s so so so true.

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: If you want something raw, you should listen to this record.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:24 pm

Your favourite track - Still Ill or Reel Around the Fountain

Your worst track - The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, but I don't mind it at all, I don't dislike any song on this album, and in places this song is very strong lyrically, for example
"And when darknesss lifts and the room is bright
I'll still be by your side
For you are all that matters
And I'll love you to till the day I die
There never need be longing in your eyes"

Best lyric - "two lumps please, you're the bees knees, but so am I"
Or
"Life is never kind, but I know what will make you smile tonight"

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you - "Another man, he takes her hand, a smile lights up her stupid face and well it would, i lost my faith in woman-hood"
or "You have destroyed my flower-like life not once but twice"
or"I need advice, nobody ever looks at me twice"

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc - I really like this album, and while the production does somewhat flatten some songs I don't find it really hinders the great music and lyrics coming through.
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:19 pm

favourite track : charming man every time, it may be the obvious choice but it is the most fantasitcally amazingly perfect song ive ever heard <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

worst track : hmm i dont owe you anything if i had to pick one, they are all pretty amazing but i guess thats the one that i would list last if putting them in order of favourites haha

best lyric : -'why pamper lifes complexities when the leather runs smooth on the passengers seat'
-'does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body,i dont know'
-'you have corrupt my inocent mind, not once but twice'

aah its so hard to choose, but at the moment its those!

song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you : Still Ill in a way and miserable lie -love is just a miserable lie, haha never a truer word spoken!

overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc : this is personally my favourite album i would say. every song has something special about it and its so hard to pick the worst track, which must be a good thing. the 1st album is often the best and i think this definately fits that. its so monumental, with tracks like charming man, hand in glove and suffer little children. its musically and lyrically morrisey and marrs best work both in their own write and together, every elemnt works so well together on every song.hmm ill shut up now, i ramble too much.. <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-this_charming_girl+Aug 16 2005, 05:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (this_charming_girl @ Aug 16 2005, 05:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> worst track : hmm i dont owe you anything if i had to pick one, they are all pretty amazing but i guess thats the one that i would list last if putting them in order of favourites haha <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wow, I love "I DON`T OWE YOU ANYTHING".
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby chrisarclark » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:30 pm

im only answering the first three queries.

Your favourite track: "This Charming Man"

Your worst track: "I Don't Owe You Anything"

Best lyric:

I dreamt about you last night
And I fell out of bed twice
You can pin and mount me like a butterfly

-"Reel Around The Fountain"
"I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
chrisarclark
Advanced

Postby rubygirl » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:07 am

As I am lsitening a lot to this album these days -after quite a long break - I aqm kinda giving it a different look, and was pleased to discover I like it even more - even You've got everything now & Miserable lie sounded much better to me than they usually do.
Your favourite track: What Difference Does It Make & Pretty Girls Make Graves

Your worst track: hmm, none actually would I cal bad...still Miserable Lie remains one of the tracks I usually skip -but I do like it more now.

Best lyric:I dreamt about you last night
And I fell out of bed twice
You can pin and mount me like a butterfly
But "take me to the haven of your bed"
Was something that you never said

All men have secrets and here is mine
So let it be known
For we have been through hell and high tide
I think I can rely on you ...
And yet you start to recoil
Heavy words are so lightly thrown

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you:
The Good People laugh
Yes, we may be hidden by rags
But we've something they'll never have

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.:
A remarkable debut, i would say - more rough in production, compared to the other stuff, but emotionally-laden - and each song sounds so personal, that it's utterly engaging, even when I cannot relate directly to the theme of the song.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Chorlton_Ruffian » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:56 pm

Your favourite track:
Suffer Little Children

Your worst track:
I don't owe you anything

Best lyric:
Does the body rule the mind
Or does the mind rule the body ?
I dunno...

No, I've never had a job
Because I'm too shy

Their best album. Every track is brilliant. The shite production adds to the dreary aura.
<div align="center">Image</div>
<div align="center"><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"I would rather eat my own testicles than reform The Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian."<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
Chorlton_Ruffian
Supreme

Postby Shy Bald Buddhist » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:54 pm

Your favourite track:
Hand In Glove, just ahead of This Charming Man.

Your worst track:
Probably The Hand That Rocks The Cradle - not a bad track, just isn't that exciting musically.

Best lyric:
Where do I start?

"Manchester, so much to answer for"

Perfect kitchen sink music. My favourite Smiths album, second favourite of my (small but growing) CD collection behind Radiohead's Kid A.
Last edited by Shy Bald Buddhist on Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shy Bald Buddhist

Postby Alex » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:48 pm

Your favourite track: This Charming Man

Your worst track: Miserable Lie

Best lyric:
I'll haunt you when you laugh, Oh, I'll haunt you when you laugh.
You might sleep but you will never dream.

I think I can rely on you and yet you start to recoil,
heavy words are so lightly thrown.
But still I'd leap in front of a flying bullet for you.

Overall: It has some of my favorite tracks and some I don't care for that much. Suffer Little Children, that might be their "grimmest" song.
Alex
Smiths Nut!

Postby Lazy Dyke » Sat May 20, 2006 10:00 am

Your favourite track: This is so hard to choose, there are so many I love. But I'll have to ultimately choose "What Difference Does It Make?" I love that track.

Your worst track: "You've got everything now." The back beat reminds me of hand in glove far too much. I don't know, this track doesn't strike me as much as the others.

Best lyric: "No it's not like any love, this one is different because it's us."

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: "I need advice, I need advice, nobody ever looks at me twice."

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: I love this album! I can't understand why so many people do not like it as much as the others. It's my second favourite, I like that kind of raw sound.
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby Shakespeare's Sister » Sat May 20, 2006 1:00 pm

Your favourite track: Pretty Girls Make Graves

Your worst track: Don't have one

Best lyric:

Did I ever tell you, by the way
I never did like your face

End of the pier, end of the bay
You tug my arm, and say : "Give in to lust,
Give up to lust, oh heaven knows we'll
Soon be dust ... "

It's up there.
Last edited by Shakespeare's Sister on Sat May 20, 2006 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Well I'm not listening no more<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Shakespeare's Sister
Smiths Nut!

Postby Kathleen » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:15 am

Your favourite track: Suffer Little Children

Your worst track: Considering that this is my favorite album of all time, it's quite a difficult question to answer. :( I guess if I had to choose, Miserable Lie.

Best lyric: You might sleep, but you will never dream.

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: Under the iron bridge we kissed, and though I ended up with sore lips, it just wasn't like the old days anymore. No, it wasn't like those days. Am I still ill?

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: This is their best, in my opinion. The purest and most unbridled effort. It hurts how much I adore this album, with all of its clumsy idealism.
<!--fonto:Georgia--><span style="font-family:Georgia"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black"><!--/coloro-->I hear that you're building your little house deep in the desert.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Kathleen

Postby JaneSays » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:44 am

Your favourite track: What Difference Does It Make? Favourite Smiths song!

Your worst track: The Hand That Rocks The Cradle

Best lyric:

"I decree today that life
Is simply taking and not giving
England is mine - it owes me a living
But ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye"

What an intro.

"You've got everything now
And what a terrible mess I've made of my life
Oh, what a mess I've made of my life
No, I've never had a job
Because I'm too shy"

A very strong album, but I'd heard alot of the songs already after listening to HOH. I would be after TQID, as my 4th favourite Smiths album.
Last edited by JaneSays on Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
JaneSays
Supreme

Postby Rodchenko » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:50 am

Your favourite track: Still Ill

Your worst track: I don't owe you anything

Best lyric: "I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving".... - Still Ill

Song/lyric/line you relate to most/has relevance to you: "I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving"....

Overall opinion of album, how it compares to others, etc.: Has some incredibly strong tracks (This Charming Man, Still Ill, Reel, Pretty Girls...) and some weaker (I don't owe, Suffer...) and is not as great as TQID or MIM, but as good as Strangeways.....
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to Album By Album