Week 2: Chicken

In which a member is mercilessly questioned by the rest of us....for fun!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:14 pm

So this week the spotlights are on Chicken. I chose him because he seems one of the most clever members on the forum, with an openminded look (eg his interest in religions and islamic music) so I'm sure he has a lot of interesting outlooks on aspects of life.

Please forward your questions to me via this email: gerrit.df@gmail.comm (drop that last -M of course, as that's only to distract spambots). I will then collide all received emails and send the questions to Chicken by the weekend.

Sound off!
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:55 am

Cracked Pleasures wrote:So this week the spotlights are on Chicken. I chose him because he seems one of the most clever members on the forum, with an openminded look (eg his interest in religions and islamic music) so I'm sure he has a lot of interesting outlooks on aspects of life.

Please forward your questions to me via this email: gerrit.df@gmail.comm (drop that last -M of course, as that's only to distract spambots). I will then collide all received emails and send the questions to Chicken by the weekend.

Sound off!

is it ok to just PM the Q's CP?

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:53 am

That's okay. Mind though that my inbox is 75% full. Should be no problems, but please see my email address just in case a whole load of PMs would cause a bit of an overflow... But PM is fine yes!
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:38 pm

OK. Have received some very useful questions already! Keep them coming folks!

I will PM Chicken on Saturday with the questions, so that the answers are up and running online by Sunday eve. (PS: I am thinking in British time)

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:27 pm

I am sending the messages to Chicken within a couple of hours, so that he has them by the Sunday morning in American time.

So those who want to ask something: PM or email me NOW!!

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:43 pm

UPDATE: the questions have been emailed to Chicken to be answered. As soon as I receive the answer, they will be published in this topic.

Thanks to all people who sent in questions! We have 32 questions in total, which I would say is a great success! It pleases me as well that some people have sent me very well-thought questions and a few highly original ones I could have never thought of myself.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:35 pm

enjoy the interview, folks!!

1. What are your own religious beliefs?
Most of my beliefs stem from Buddhism; but I also endorse bits here and there from other religions (like humans being born sinless from Islam, and The Golden Rule from Christianity). I'm also into modern visionaries (Abraham, Kryon, etc.). But as far as what God is, I won't venture a guess or even say I have a clue. I *want* to believe, but the politics of organized religions stops me from endorsing any one view.

2. What do you think about abortion?
Strong mixed feelings. It's not a form of birth control, given what I know about fetal psychology it abhors me. Ultimately though, I'm a man; what do I know? I believe every person should have sovereignty over their own body.

3. What pissed you off as a kid?
Great question. My four older brothers were a bit cruel at times, moreover my father was too removed from rearing children to do anything and my mother was usually too mentally ill to do much herself.
Other than that, I think my struggles with sexuality pissed me off as well. I knew I was 'different', but it seemed unfair just how 'different' I truly was.

4. Would you say that you are a happy person?

Generally yes. Despite bouts of depression, I still try to find something good everyday. Maybe it would be more fair to say I'm an optimist.

5. What has been the happiest point in your life?

About four years ago. That's when I quit doing psychotherapy full time to teach full time. That was a great change in my life....it just so happened to coincide with finding the best love of my life. It was one of the few times both my professional and my private life were taking off like a rocket--in the right direction.

6. Tell us something about your work, please.

Being a teacher is one of the best things ever. This term on Tuesdays and Thursdays I teach only one class and the rest of the day is for counseling, student clubs, research, etc....however I see fit. Perhaps the best part of my work over the past two years has been my increasing involvement with the international students on our small campus. Without exception they have been among the hardest-working young people I've ever met. Plus I get to learn about other cultures from them.....and see my own culture through their eyes (that one cuts both ways, which I like ).

7. What parts of your personality do you thinkpeople would be shocked the most to learn about?

Oh dear. I'm really bad at keeping in contact with friends, even local ones. I was once described as "pathologically independent" which I believe is accurate.
I'm a sentimental weepy fool. Television commercials can make my eyes all misty. That silly 'extreme home makeover' show where they build a home for a needy family usually gets me well beyond just misty eyes. I struggle with addiction and have some big wholes in my self-esteem.
uuuhh...that's enough of this one.

8. Do you read a lot to keep yourself up on the news?

Oh yes. I have six or seven good websites bookmarked at work. I watch a lot of educational television.
And, best of all, I work at a uni where I can talk to all sorts of educated people.

9. Who would you rate the most important person of the last century?

Heavens, I've thought and thought about this one for two days now and cannot say just one person. History is so very open to interpretation...
Einstein really opened things up for science, I like what I know about Churchill and FDR, Fleming's discovery of antibiotics was big, I also think John Paul II did some truly amazing things as well. Within psychology, I'd lean toward Carl Jung or William James. Lots of shoulders to stand on.

10. Do you consider yourself a well-read person?

Yes, but not in terms of literature. Not that I don't enjoy it because I do--I just find other things more interesting.
One of the general outcome goals of my uni is to inspire students to be "life-long learners" and in a way I suppose I embody that.

11. what does the name chicken represent & why?

HA!! It's a bit unusual, isn't it? At the uni I am a faculty sponsor for the student video gaming club. When I was first asked and got to know the students, most of them had handles like "reaper" or "viper" or
"killa283" or the like. They all seemed to take themselves so damn seriously. So I picked something different and simple.

12. why is your avatar a cow?

The link for my old avatar broke :(
If you look closely at the cow, you will notice a design has been brushed into its side, that being the "Om" from Buddhism. Plus having a cow on a Smiths forum has its own twist. ;)

13. what's the best thing about being you?

I have a very comfortable life. My job is stimulating and quite autonomous, my friends put up with my pathological indepence, and I have the skills to be a very effective psychotherapist (being the agent of postive change in others is a rare and priceless thing, IMHO).

14. what's the worst thing about you?

That pathological independence thing. It prevents me from enjoying relationships as fully as I'd like to.
I'm tempted to say it is a result of being a psychologist, but I suspect it goes deeper.

15. would you change any event you've experienced in your life? You can even tell us what it is if the answer was yes, if you want to that is?

When I was 15 I fell victim to brutality because of my sexual orientation. I would go back and simply not be there and then; even staying home working on the farm would have been better.
But karma has its way--three years later I was able to save a friend from the same thing. One of the very few times I've ever been violent in my life and still creeps me out to think about it.

16. If you could be anyone in the world who would you be?

I'd be Bill Gates, especially now that he's going full time into philanthropic work. Somehow I'd figure out how to give more to more.

17. Who is the most important person in your life?

My only kid brother is about my favourite person in the world. He's always amused when his brother, the professor and psychologist, calls him for advice.

18. Whose your favourite strangeways member?

Now that one is tricky; I generally do not like to put other people 'on the spot'. But to be fair, I'd have to say Ruby. Never in my life would I have guessed I'd get to know a psychologist from Bulgaria; and the number of little things that had to add up for it to happen boggles my mind.

19. What turns you on (spiritually/emotionally/creatively)?

From simple things, like rabbits playing in the morning dewed grass to complex things, like the dynamics of the human mind. From big things (especially bodies of water) to little things like the smile of understanding in a student. I tend to be a mystic at heart. Sometimes people seem so blind to nature 'happening' all around them every day...it's hard to me to understand living that way.

20. which places in this world would you definitely want to visit?

Japan. England. Kazakhstan. New Zealand. Ireland. The altiplanos of South America. Florence, Jerusalem, The Black Sea, The Dead Sea. Whew...beneath this mask is a mad scientist!! Hell, even going to Antarctica would excite me!!!

21. Would an astral travel (= going into space) interest you? If yes, which planet would you visit?

Neptune and his moons. If I had a choice, I'd rather do this than anywhere on this little rock.

22. How do you feel about being member of the week?

At first i was really surprised, since that it's been nothing but excitement.

23. What was/is you favourite fairytale and why?

If I can include "The Hobbit" in this category, that's the answer; I adore that story. I'm also a huge fan of "Rikki Tikki Tavi" by Kipling.

24. Who is your favourite fictive person or character?

Sherlock Holmes interests me, as does The Green Man and Beowulf.

25. If you could 'repaint' the sky, what colour would you give it? ;)

Some sort of light green, seafoam green.

26. What human traits, in your opinion, hinder the progress of mankind the most?

All things rooted in fear; selfishness, greed, envy, hatred, etc. I tend to take a simplistic/parsimonious view of humanity where we behave from either love or fear. I don't think it's right to spend more time thinking about my ego than the egos of others.

27. What are the best ways to get to know someone, to form an idea of their personality?

Listening deeply, observing how they organize their world, getting to know how they spend their days. My favourite personality inventories/tests are the Myers Briggs Type Indicator and the Rorschach--yes, I believe in the inkblot test.

28. How many languages do you speak?

Sadly, I'm only fluent in English, American English at that. I know only rudimentary Spanish/Mexican Spanish and German. But I've read enough science to be forced to know some of the basics in both Greek and Latin...at least enough to be able to dissect a word and have a clue at its etymology.

29. Do you believe we will see a new World War begin soon?

No. I think international relations/inter-dependencies are generally too wide spread to allow something of that scale happen again, conflicts will be more contained. Though this does not mean I in any way whatsoever endorse the nuclear stockpiles in so many nations. All of those need to be launched at the sun and we need to enact an absolute moratorium.

30. what would you classify as 'the meaning of life'?

Living authentically, being as 'human' as possible, because when we do that our meaning drifts into us and to each of us it is different--we interact with our meaning.

31. What is your opinion upon legalising soft drugs?

While some people may be able to handle them, other people can't. If it happened, I would want to see some sort of license or permit so that problem users could be identified and helped.

Thanks to Chicken for these very interesting insights!

Chicken has nominated Truman Capote as next Member Of The Week, so if he agrees we can all start sounding off the questions :D

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:57 pm

Cracked Pleasures wrote:if he agrees

I do! :D
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:22 am

Oh Chicken!!! I love you even more now :)
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Return to Member Of The Week