Week 8: Still Ill

In which a member is mercilessly questioned by the rest of us....for fun!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:45 am

Here's Still Ill

1. How did you discover The Smiths?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->At an underground club. They played more of their music there than was played on radio. It was during the MIM era. They were so British, and Morrissey had kick-started a dance craze. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

2. What do The Smiths mean to you?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->I was drawn to their music first. I liked that they were different and virtually unknown. Lyrically, the songs were not necessarily about salvation for me at the time. (where were they when I really needed them!) But I loved how he wrote and I was interested in all things English.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

3. Morrissey & Johnny Marr are coming over for dinner, 1 Question only to each of them what would you ask?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->I’d ask Johnny if there was a guitar that I could possibly take off his hands. For Morrissey, I’d ask how can I take Julia’s place for just one tour!! Ha, ha.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

4. You are stuck on a deserted island with a Strangewaysian, which one do you choose?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->Hm, that’s a clever ploy to the ‘who’s you’re favorite one’! I don’t know if I can answer that one!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

5. Do you have a favorite thread?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->Most anything on the music thread, beyond all things Smiths and the Hailing Frequency. I love reading the Ask thread, I should get more involved in that one.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

6. Who is the most important person(s) in your life?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->For those who haven’t been ‘introduced’ to them already, my husband Scott, and my sons Sean and Stuart. They keep me grounded.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

7. What is the riskiest thing you've ever done?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->My sister and I ran away from home for a weekend as teens in revolt for not giving us more independence! I gave in easily, but it took my sister two more years and a flight home from Montana. (She’s the real risk-taker!)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

8. Does smoking bother you?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->Yes, I don’t care for it. I always seem to sneeze around cigarette smoke. In what little place is left here to smoke, people don’t seem to care where their smoke lingers.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

9. What is a 'typical' day like for you?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->My mornings are fairly relaxed. Sometimes I help in my kids’ classes. My most productive time of day is mid-morning/lunch with chores (gasp), or just getting out of the house. Late afternoon and evening is a whirlwind that involves taking the kids to practice (sports), preparing dinner, getting the kids ready for bed. I wind down on the internet, strum the guitar, watch some TV or read.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

10. What was school like for you? What were your best and worst subjects?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->I was always a good student, but never a standout. English was always easy. I loved history and geography. I did well enough just to get by with Math and the Sciences though. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

11. What was the most embarassing thing that ever happened to you?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->Hah, once at a baseball game I was wearing prescription glasses and a friend kept looking intently at my eyes. She then put a finger up and it went through where the lens should have been. I’d lost one lens! That’s how light my prescription was, years ago when I wore them briefly. Now they’re all the rage. Aren’t they? <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

12. Who do you think is the most beautiful person in your country?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->Hm, physically? Christy Turlington used to be my favorite model. She’s back!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

13. What's the most romantic thing you've ever done?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->Does just taking the kids out of the equation count?!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

14. I'm your fairy godmother & I grant you 3 wishes, what would you wish for?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->1. To bring my (deceased) father back.
2. Give me 30-hour days!
3. Wipe out starvation in the world.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

15. What's your favorite restaurant & what meal would you order?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->The Brigantine. Their bar menu boasts the best fish tacos. I’d get that and a bowl of soup of mussels with bread. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

16. Do immigrants have a good or bad reputation in your part of the country?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->Generally bad. I live in a border town where the onging dispute continues on illegal entry into the U.S. from Mexico and beyond. There are no easy answers.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

17. Do you think people should have cosmetic surgery to enhance their looks?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->If it helps their self-esteem. Which seems to be the minority. It’s the flippant way in which people have these surgeries that I find sad. I just heard what a trout-pout is on TV.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

18. Do you have a favorite book? Is there a literary character with which you identify?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->A favorite is Wuthering Heights. I ‘AM’ Heathcliff!
I love F. Scott Fitzgerald and that time period. THE golden age. But generally I like to read non-fiction. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

19. What film do you recommend everyone must see at least twice?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->On the light side Napolean Dynamite. For those who didn’t ‘get’ it the first time around and found it too slow.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

20. What needs to be done to heal the world?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->No idea whatsoever. I sound hopeless.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

21. Do you think people with many piercings can be beautiful?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->Unique maybe. Nothing against piercings, but tongue/lip piercings are hard to look at!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

22. Do you collect anything?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->Books on music, and scarves and hats. <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

23. Do you think there is a relation between immigration and crime?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->Yes. Just as there are other socio-economic factors with correlations borne out of our own citizens as well such as drug abuse, for example, that knows no race or ethnicity.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

24. Do you have any sporting heroes?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->No one in particular, but Trevor Hoffman, baseball pitcher stands out. Anyone who can spend their entire career on one team is a feat in itself. Future Hall-of-famer.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

25. How did you decide to join this forum?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->On M-solo, Ellis posted about a new Smiths forum site, which appealed to me because I was posting mostly Smiths-releated stuff anyway and it was new. And not a yahoo group.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

26. What do you think are the best qualities of the Internet?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->The wealth of information readily available. And how it can bring people anywhere in the world close together on common ground.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

27. What is your favourite animal & why?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->The owl. They’re strangely beautiful, at the top of their food chain, and their association with wisdom. And they’re nocturnal, like me!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

28. What kind of gifts do you like to receive?
<!--coloro:#6633FF--><span style="color:#6633FF"><!--/coloro-->I love books. But obviously the meaningful gifts are those people take time to connect to something such as a hobby, passion, etc. no matter how small or insignifcant it may seem.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

I’d like to nominate Helen (<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Helmoz<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->) next!

I've cocked up Still Ill in the name thread, I know it's 2 L's, sorry

love

Grim
Last edited by Grim O'Grady on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Return to Member Of The Week