Week 14: Yandee

In which a member is mercilessly questioned by the rest of us....for fun!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:28 pm

Elko, we're waiting and that week has been over ... time to put the victim in front of the investigator and sound off the questions!
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:09 pm

So we are PMing our yandee questions to mancsmithsfan, yes?
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:05 pm

Elko volunteered to do the questions but it is equal for me. In case Mancsmithsfan will do it, I need to re-send my questions as I already sent them to Elko. So let me know if they need to be re-sent or not.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:52 pm

Yes, I did volunteer to do it, perhaps I should have been more clear. PM your questions to me by the coming Sunday (17th June).
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:37 am

Consider yourself PMed, Elko!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:58 pm

Any more for any more?
elko
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:19 pm

You've received my PM with questions?

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:48 am

We are all having big expectations Elko, have you sent the questions yet to Yandee for the big interrogation_

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:38 am

Yeah!! When are we going to see it??
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:13 pm

sent!

Sorry about the delay, no excuses really.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:40 pm

we're waiting for the answers :)

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby yandee » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:49 pm

you'll get them as soon as possible. I'm currently working on a poem I can't finish and it should be finished until saturday, because I want to present it when I'm reading. Plus I hardly get any sleep, because I've just discovered Twin Peaks and as everything by David Lynch it scares the shit out of me, but it's good to know that there is something that can really scare you, isn't it? :D

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby yandee » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:42 pm

thanks a lot for waiting so long guys, but it's been a bit exhausting the last few days. so here you are:

Alright Yandee?!

Here are your questions then. You can either reply to me and I'll post them, or you can post them yourself, it's really up to you... enjoy!

--

How did you end up being a Smiths fan? Are you amongst a small number of Smiths fans in Austria or are there many over there?

I don’t exactely remember how I ended up like this. When I grew up there was a boy in my class for a year, he was 18 and we were all 15 or something. He was a lot into alternative stuff, he always talked about his favourite band Tocotronic, so I got interested, he was on the same bus as I was and he often told me to listen to this or that and one day I asked him to lend me a copy of a Tocotronic record, he did and I immediately fell in love with them. It was my first encounter with “good” music. My first favourite band by the way. When he left school and my other friend got into metal (can’t stand metal) I didn’t know how to get to know about new music, so I started buying music magazines and got hooked on them. I can’t really remember, but at that time all those Franz Ferdinand people appeared and they all mentioned The Smiths as an influence, so everytime I went to Linz I intended to listen to a Smiths record but couldn’t stand more than a few seconds, don’t know why. But they are important in popular music history, you’ve got to own a record. (I’m still a lot like that nowadays ;) Took me a long time but I finally bought a Smiths singles collection, I listened to it on the way to work at the local museum (summer holidays) and those where among the most boring weeks of my life, so I kind of associated them with all that shit. Took me some time until I found out how great they where. There was There’s A Light on the radio and I listened to the lyrics and said to myself fuck, that’s so beautiful. Next day I went to university in Linz with some friends, after some ability testing we went to the record shop and I bought B&S The Life Pursuit and a copy of The Queen Is Dead. They asked me what the fuck that was and I said The Smiths feeling proud of me listening to such awkward music (I still do that nowadays ;) Put it on at home and fell in love. Parents came in asked me what that is, I said the Smiths, two days later my mum was in love with them too and it took some months but then my dad also loved them.
I was the only one to know the Smiths when I started listening to them. I don’t really know if there are a lot of Smiths fans around here. I guess in every bunch of friends there can only be one true Smiths fan. The only other Smiths fan I got to know was a friend of the cousin of a friend of mine from Vienna, we went to a festival together where Morrissey played. All the other people I know who like the Smiths in my region where converted by moi. I gave a Smiths record to my “girlfriends” (one didn’t understand it, two immediately loved it, one’s parents said what incredibly strange and sad music she was listening to), I was playing some records at the birthday party of two of the girls and some guy who somehow really admires me followed me through the whole house, I was talking to people in English about poetry, music and loneliness, he asked me why I knew so much about all that stuff and what great music that was. So we went to the record player with that yale guy and a bottle of wine and a halfempty bottle of scotch. We drank a lot and we showed the boy some great music. Lying on the floor singing There Is A Light, discussing Dylan and dancing to the Pixies. Gave him some mix tape I made for the party and when I saw him again he told me that his favourite song was There Is A Light. So I guess I could say that most of the people who know the Smiths in Steyr know them via me.

Which is your favourite Smiths song and lyric? (please state a few lines)

God, there are so many I couldn’t even pick a favourite one. As with most of the Smiths fans it is more of a religious worshiping, for everything, every song, every lyric seems to be about me and my life, there still are some lyrics that make me laugh, or really make me sad, even more than others do.
“I dreamt about you last night, and I fell out of bed twice, you can pin and mount me like a butterfly, but take m to the heaven of your bed was something that you never said, two lumps please, you’re the bee’s knees but so am I. Meet me at the fountain, shove me on the patio I’ll take it slowly” I even wanted this as a start of a play I planned but never wrote.
“I could have been wild and I could have been free, but nature played this trick on me” believe me she did
"And if we must go to work tomorrow, well if I were you I really wouldn’t bother, for there are brighter sides to life and I should know because I’ve seen them, oh but not often”
whole I Want The One I Can’t Have is about me
“I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does” for people tend to forget about that fact all the time
“…but the rain it threatens my hair” hilarious and true
whole I Know It’s Over is about me, same with Never Had No One Ever and The Boy With The Thorne In His Side
“…spending long summer days indoors writing frightening verse to0 bucktoothed girl from Luxembourg”
I could probably go on like this forever…

Which Smiths song do you secretly dance around to when nobody is around?

Well, I secretly dance around to almost every Smiths song when nobody is around, singing along at the top of my voice, with a flower in my hands. That’s hilariously funny. I think if I had to make a choice I’d go for This Charming Man

Which is your view on the multicultural societies that cause heavy debates all over Europe? Being from a country with a large immigrants population (mainly Vienna), what are your views about this?

I am totally pro multiculturalsim for everyone makes profit of it.
I think that the most important thing is to have a common language which everybody in the specific country speaks. There are lots of discussions going on about obligatory language courses. Our left wing is against such things for the national identity might get lost, but I think (as an apolitical individual) that a common language is the first step towards the integration of our immigrants. There is nothing wrong with national identity, even though I ain’t got one, but it is important to make our minorities equal when it comes to discussion. If we got a general language (needn’t be german, could also be English) things would get a lot easier and some of the agression towards immigrants in this country would vanish, I guess.

When is Vorwaerts Steyr going to actually go forwards again and play top-division football again?

I fear that this is never going to happen. Or if it really happens it will take us some years. We went up from 6th to 5th league last year and had a real chance to make it this year until Union Weißkirchen won some weels ago. I mean, we were good, we were actually really good, but the referee was an asshole. Was a nice game though we’ve got to stay down here for another year, which isn’t only a bad thing for we’re losing our coach and our keeper. I guess we just have to get things sorted out and we’ll next year come up and kick their asses. A friend of mine still remembers Vorwaerts vs. Rapid Wien years and years ago where they made three goals in the first half, but we caught up in the second. I guess those glory days are over. But like Neil Young says Comes A Time.

If you were to travel to one place in the world, which country would you choose and why?

This is a difficult one. If I could choose time and place I’d go for the US of the 50’s or 60’s mainly New York and San Francisco. Unfortunately nowadays America is not what it was, although I still would love to go there. New York, living in Chelsea Hotel, taking a walk through Greenwich Village. And of course San Francisco. Those places would be great, but I still have to think about the near future and it looks like I’m going nowhere, but as soon as I find somebody willing to go with me I’ll go by train to Manchester and up to Glasgow.

The Smiths aside, who has been the soundtrack to your life?

There were so many different stages in my life and each and every of them there was an important band or an important record. Tocotronic, Interpol, The Velvet Underground, The Libertines, Belle And Sebastian, Bright Eyes, Nico, Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, Patti Smith’s “Horses”, Bob Dylan, Neil Young and lots of others

Where does inspiration for your poetry come from?

Sometimes it seems like the way David Lynch does things (I know this sounds soooo pretentious). I just close my eyes and sometimes something appears and I try to write it down as I see it, all those strange metaphors and pictures are just the awkward way I see everyday things. For example there is one I’m working on where it says “a dwarf on a bicycle riding backwards” if you would analyse this there would be nothing. That line actually originated, when I saw a post man on a very small bike and I mistook him for being extremely small, then there was this association with the Little Man From Another Place talking backwards in Lynch’s Twin Peaks Red Room. And so this phrase came to be written down. If there is an intention behind my work then it is the attempt to make the logic of the mind look obsolete. I wouldn’t want my work to be interpreted line by line, like we always had to do in school. If you analyse it it makes no sense, but you feel it in your heart what it’s all about. My inspiration comes from different things, loving somebody who doesn’t love you (those poems are always about Lisa), people you see once and want to see them again, but you never do, friends, nature, town, other poets (Ginsberg, Rimbaud, Baudelaire,…), novels, songs (a lot of my stuff is extremely influenced by Dylan), just situations I imagine or that happen to me. But most of my poems are just about Lisa, sad but true.

What is your dream in life?

That’s easy. Being a poet has been my dream in life since I turned eleven. I don’t even want to be successful, with bestsellers and all that shit, just having enough to live. I want to have something like City Lights bookshop in San Francisco, if you know what I’m talking about. I found out quite early that a guy looking like me, being as awkward as I am, with that trick nature played on me ;), can never be happy and in a relationship with somebody. Being loved requires loving yourself somebody said and I really do hate myslef, so there is for me no discussion about getting a real job or being a lawyer, although I guess I would be a good lawyer. I want to make other people feel better, I can’t have a band, cause nobody wants to form one with me, so there is poetry and prose writing. If I can show three or four youngsters that it is okay to be strange, it is okay not to fit in, it’s okay not to get a real job, not to have a girlfriend, not to be one of the cool kids, that poetry can be something very beautiful to spend your life with, not hiding it inside their diaries, then I’ve done something. If nobody loves me the way I need to be loved then I just want to be remembered for my art ;)

Do you have any artistic ambitions yourself for the near or distant future?

Yes I have. As I wrote above, I want to be a poet. I have to go and study something for my parents want me to and they are right in that aspect, but I won’t be a good student, I just want to live for my art, that’s everything. So I hope I’ll soon have enough good poems to get my first volume of poetry done. It’s now called “Katy Lied” and I guess it is going to be great. After that I think I’ll try some prose writing, although I guess it ain’t time yet to start again. I just want to be that poet guy nobody understands.

What's your favorite candy, Mr. Yandee?

If you would take a quick look at my disgusting body you could see that every candy is my favourite candy :) I somehow stopped to eat too much candy lately. I don’t know if pie counts, I love pie, but also a good bar of chocolate and anything with caramel is just what makes me do that Homer Simpson thing with my tongue.

If you were in a boy band, which necessary member would you be: the cute one, the shy one, the heartthrob, the rebel or the older brother?

There is no grumpy one in a boyband, is there? :) I’m definetely not the cute one I’m just too tall for that, I’m not the shy one, I guess I’m too rude for that, I’m not the heartthrob ,you can ask anybody you like about that, I’m too awkward and not cool and hot enough to be the rebel. I guess that leaves the older brother, but I guess I’d rather be the older sister, a grumpy, rude, awkward older sister with strange hallucinations and a drinking problem. Yeah, that would be it. Imagine Charles Bukowski as a girl. :) :) :)

Do you want to have children one day?

Yes, I definetely would like to have children. I’d like to have three daughters. But the problem is that this requires a girl stupid enough to be with me for a longer period of time, and that’s kind of impossible.

What is the craziest thing you've ever done?

I don’t know what’s the craziest thing I’ve ever done. I guess that telling my best friend that I love her although I knew that she didn’t love me and risking our incredible friendship just because I wanted to be honest, would be quite a good answer for that question, or was that the most stupid thing I’ve ever done?

Tell me something beautiful that happened to you recently.

Remember that girl I told you about from the party of that Yale guy. I saw her again on Saturday. She really seemed to like my poetry, we drank something, talked to some people afterwards and then I took her home. Said we should meet again when she comes home from Miami in some weeks time and she said yes.

What is your happiest ever memory?

I really tried hard on this one, but I don’t know. There are definetely a lot of great and happy memories from my childhood, but they are all burried under this immense pile of shit that I call my life as a thinking and reflecting individual, so that I can’t find any.
--

We haven't had Boxguy yet, have we? So, if nobody disapproves of this decision, our next victim shall be <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->BOXGUY<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Last edited by yandee on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:35 pm

Let's do it!
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby madmancmonkey » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:21 am

Some great answers Andy.

In the cultureless wasteland that is Manchester, I never really had the chance to discuss poetry at the parties I attend. As you English know, we live in a very backward kind of society where youth culture is nothing to be proud of, one which subscribes to casual sex, drug-taking, the banality of nightclubs in humdrum towns, chav 'culture', gangsta rap, tracksuits, violence; all the other innane things.
I look through a kaliedescope colured, but not blurred, by irascibilty and anxiety. I survive my sprinkling sawdust sardonic and rapier wit.
Though it is amusing to embark on such benders of debauchary, accompanied by true gems of human beings as my freinds, my true companions are the likes of Dostoevsky, Camus, Wilde and Morrissey.
At times when only the trappings of intellect saved me, such as the search for something cerabral, I too have been pushed to verse BUT I have reckoned that nobody will become famous doing so. You may be au fait with the stage direction in Waiting for Godot, where the charecter states that he was once a poet and then he gestures to his rags and says 'Can't you tell'. Of course we, as true artists, will nevertheless compromise fortune for recognition.
I recently had one of my poems in the student magazine but I was disappointed that they had chosen that specific one. I am now currently in the process of dismantling it and reorganising it, so that is the sum of my artistic output at the moment.

Regards, from the existential vortex of paradox and absurdism, Jon.
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to Member Of The Week