Week 15: Boxguy

In which a member is mercilessly questioned by the rest of us....for fun!

Re: Week 15: Boxguy

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:27 pm

I have not received any yet :( Come on people, do you want Boxguy to have an easy ride with only a handful of questions? Send in that stuff! My liar detector is in place, so no escape for you, Ryan :P
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:29 pm

Sent my lot..c'mon guys!
elko
Site Admin

Postby Boxguy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:31 am

I'm waaaiiiitiiiinggg... *drums fingers on desk* :mrgreen:

Just so you know, I will be in Kansas City a good bit of this next weekend, so I may not get around to answering the questions right away once I receive them from CP.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:35 pm

I will send them during next night (night from Sat to Sun) which means, with the time difference between Europe and the US, that Boxguy will receive them before Saturday evening is over.

People: keep on sending, I received 3 lists of questions (added with my own ones). Those with inspiration should just PM me before Saturday evening European time / before Saturday noon US time.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:49 am

OK. The questions are sent, and I am waiting for the victim honourable member to reply :)

There were not a lot of PMs but the ones I got contained some really good questions, I added a few ones myself as well. I think it is a nice combination of some obvious and unexpected questions, and a mixture of serious in-depth issues and some more funnily intended questions.

I will publish the interview once I received Boxguy's answers. :!:

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:55 am

Questions received!

It may be a few days before I get through all of them; the rest of this weekend and next week are going to be killer busy.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:56 pm

No worries, just take your time and I will publish the interview once the answers are there :wink: (PS: I also sent a reply to your other PM)

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:39 am

Just an update to anyone: we didn't forget about the Member o/t Week interview, Ryan is very busy at this moment but the answers will come soon. Be a tiny bit patient :wink:

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:34 pm

Understandable...but I can't wait!!!
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:31 am

elko wrote:Understandable...but I can't wait!!!

Seriously! I want to read it!
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:16 pm

Boxguy has finished the interview. I am at work now but I will put the whole interview (including a nice lay-out) to the forum after work. Be patient for just a very short moment, the result of the interrogation interview is almost there.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:45 pm

OK folks, here is the interview you have all been waiting for :D

What first got you into rugby? Why were you attracted to that over any other sport?

I believe that the sport's uniqueness in this country - especially in this part of the country - is what first attracted me to it. My actual decision to start playing was in reality a complete spur-of-the-moment thing. I had heard there was a rugby team in Salina the summer before I started uni, which would've been back in 2003 (geez, it's been that long ago already?! ), and I thought, "Hey, why don't I try it out and see what it's actually like?" Though I am by no means Division I, USA Super League, or National Side material in the least bit I am proud to be at the level of involvement I am at today, in large part because I had never played any sort of contact sport before.

Have you ever been seriously injured? You do know that most rugby players end up with cauliflower ears and bent, squished noses?

Yes, I am well aware of the typical rugby injuries that are seen at the professional level. However, I have yet to see anyone with these injuries in Division I, II, III, or Collegiate players. I have known a number of players who have had their noses broken a number of times, but they weren't broken to the point of causing noticeable deformity. Perhaps the most serious injury I witnessed occurred in practice when one or our players tore his ACL during a tackle drill. He required surgery over the summer and fall and returned to playing condition just a few weeks ago.

I personally have never been seriously injured, which I'm quite surprised about. In a normal match I'll receive a generous amount of cuts and bruises with an occasional sprain in one or both ankles. Why I haven't received any more serious injuries is anyone's guess.

Do you actively follow European rugby such as the Six Nations?

I don't, actually. Primarily it's because I can't find the time to. In addition I don't really have a means of watching any matches on TV unless someone with a satellite and a subscription to Setanta Sports tapes them for me. The only time that matches come on "regular" TV is during the world cup or when there is a major national tournament, such as the USA Sevens in San Diego, and even then you have to hunt through the TV channels to find them.

What is your view on American Football? Would you consider the comparisons to rugby justified or not?

My opinion on American Football is that it is way to commercialized, over hyped, and politicked. If you look at the Super Bowl, it's nothing more than a big overblown entertainment and commercial spectacle with a sporting event thrown in there somewhere. The college level is not much better and is perhaps even worse, with the sport being primarily employed to rake in big bucks from alumni. Even when it comes to who should play for the collegiate championship it's all about politics instead of a team's playing ability. For instance, the University of Hawaii's football team, which went undefeated this season right up to the college bowl games, was ruled to be ineligible to play for the national Division I collegiate championship because they did not play enough big-name, big-money schools during the season. It's been said that because of all of its politicking and monetary greed, NCAA Division I football is the only sport on the planet where a team can go undefeated an entire season and still be ineligible for a national championship. This is only my biased opinion, of course.

As far as the sport itself goes, I see it as being a weaker sport than rugby due to all of the stoppages and timeouts. The reason why the whole line of scrimmage was instituted was to cut down on the violence that the sport was seen to possess after it had just started to break away from rugby. And the souped-up padding and helmets that the players wear nowadays? Feh.

Have you ever thought of writing a book? If so, what would it be?

I have at times. If I ever actually sit down and make an attempt to write it, however frugal that attempt may be, I would make it a somewhat autobiographical work of the various wacky events of my life but tell them through the use of nursery rhyme and fairy tale characters placed in modern-day settings and situations. I started writing a piece along these lines back in the winter of 2004/2005 after the most recent event, but I ended up shelving it due to the emotional evocations at the time and have never found the time to come back to it.

Where should I start with Linux?

For someone who is completely new to Linux or knows a bit but is not that comfortable with it I would definitely start with Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a distribution of Linux based on the long-running Debian distribution that is designed for users with little or no previous Linux experience, hence their tag line "Linux for human beings." You can download an installation image and burn it to a CD, as with almost all other distributions. The CD is a "Live CD", that is, when you boot off of the CD you get a full-fledged working environment that you can play around with without touching your hard drive. If you want to install it onto your hard drive all you need to do is double-click the install icon on the desktop and follow the instructions. Ubuntu does a terrific job at automatically detecting hardware and installing the appropriate drivers. If there is no open-source driver for a particular piece of hardware, such as an nVidia video card, but a proprietary driver is available, it will alert you to that fact, and you can download, install, and activate the proprietary driver with just a few clicks. Installation, updating, and removal of software is equally as easy, with a wide range of free software that can perform most tasks you may need to do available with just a few clicks as well.

If you feel comfortable with Linux and want to try a more intermediate distribution, then I would suggest Fedora. Fedora is based upon the now discontinued Red Hat Linux, which was extremely popular up to its demise with Red Hat Inc.'s restructuring of its distributions in 2003, and it also serves as the code base to Red Hat Linux's successor, Red Hat Enterprise Linux. It's not as intuitive to use as Ubuntu, but it is easier to customize at the lower system levels than Ubuntu. I primarily use either Fedora or CentOS, a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, in my daily academic and non-academic work as well as at home. In terms of other intermediate distributions, such as Debian, the preference as to which one to use is primarily personal choice.

If you want to try a more non-intuitive distribution I would suggest either Slackware, the oldest Linux distribution still in active development, or Gentoo. Gentoo is unique in that instead of installing the different software packages onto your computer as pre-compiled binary files, it downloads the software packages' source code to your computer and compiles it into the binary files, which can result in faster, more efficiently-running programs.

Finally, if you want to dive into the complete innards of a Linux system, you can try out Linux From Scratch. Linux From Scratch is a project by which you use a host Linux system, such as one already installed on your computer or one contained on a Live CD available for download on their site, to construct your own Linux system by hand completely from source code. It can be a great geeky weekend project. Trust me.

Is there anything you don't know?

Oh, of course! But I believe that one is more than able to learn about anything they are interested in if they know where to find the appropriate information, whether it be from a search engine, book, or another individual.

Please rattle off some Latin, enough to prove to us you know it.

Mater verberat Ryan cum libero Latinum, igitur Ryan non est laete.
(I know I likely screwed up the declensions there!)

You don't tend to talk very much about music - what are your favourite bands, artists or composers?

I'm afraid that the only way I could come up with a concrete list of favorite bands, artists, or composers would be at gunpoint. But I would say the Pixies, Iron & Wine, The Notwist, The Jim Yoshii Pile-Up, The Field Register, Built for the Sea, Cat Power, The Mountain Goats, Explosions in the Sky, and bands with similar styles to those listed.

The honest truth is that I am very much an infant when it comes to the world of music. I was raised in a very conservative environment where the only music I was exposed to for about thirteen years was classical, bluegrass, and Christan music (both traditional and contemporary). My mom took pains to make sure that I wasn't exposed to much other music or any other aspects of youth culture for that matter, harshly grounding me when she discovered I was watching MTV when in my early teens (after that I began sneaking downstairs at 11 or 12 at night to watch Daria ). It wasn't until I was 14 that I had the freedom to explore other genres of music, and I truly discovered indie music only about four years ago. As a result, I am somewhat apprehensive in talking about music for fear of appearing as a complete dumbass due to my lack of knowledge.

There is one song that truly evokes emotion in me whenever I hear it, though: Pearl Jam's "Man of the Hour." I first heard it in the spring of 2004 when I was going through some extremely tough personal events that I would have never foreseen myself experiencing. The song seemed tailored to what was happening at that moment. To this day I can't listen to the song without emotions flooding back.

As you ended up on a Smiths forum, you must have some interest in the band for sure. Any favourite songs or lyrics?

It's hard to say honestly. I haven't heard enough of their work in terms of variety to securely say that I have one or two favorite songs or a handful of favorite lines. *braces himself for the boot off of the forums*

Why "Boxguy"?

I am asked this a ton, and it's a sort of an interesting story.

For my first year of high school, between 1999 and 2000, I went to an extremely small liberal arts school in north Wichita that was located within, of all places, a box factory. The factory was family-owned up until a couple of years ago, and the family member who was vice president of the factory was also the founder and headmaster of the school. The school made use of two stories of old office space just off of the employee gymnasium and taught a strongly classical curriculum for 5th through 12th grades, with a total enrollment of only 45. During the year I was there some large internal tensions developed, with the student body and faculty on one side and the headmaster on the other. The end result was that over half of the faculty and a third of the student body left. I did not particularly want to leave; the effects of my parents' divorce the summer before and all the hell I had been put through with that left me absolutely sick of any more change. However, I had no choice.

In the fall of 2000 I began my sophomore year in the International Baccalaureate program at East High School, the largest high school in Kansas at an enrollment of around 2,230. Prior to that I had never been in any sort of public school, nor had I ever been in a school with an enrollment larger than 150. Because of this I was obviously more than a bit nervous and experiencing a *tad* bit of culture shock on my first day. In my last class of the day, Pre-IB AP US History, one of the students asked me where I had gone to school my freshman year. When I told him about the liberal arts school and its being located in a box factory, he responded, "Well, I guess that makes you the Boxguy, then?" From that point on the name stuck. By my senior year more people knew me as Boxguy than by my real name.

And that's the story.

Where do you see yourself in 20 years time? Or further beyond: 40 years time?

In 20 years I'll probably be doing the sysadmin gig still, if not at Fort Hays State then likely at another post-secondary institution. I'd like to have at least one higher-level degree completed by then, if not all the way through a Ph. D., and be teaching some computing and networking courses on the side. I will likely be playing rugby at the club level and actively reffing, though at a level higher than where I'm at right now (televised matches, anyone? ). In addition I'd like to have completed my CFI, CFII, and MEI pilot ratings and actively flight instruct. I haven't done any serious flying or training toward higher ratings since I received my private pilot license in the summer of 2003. Primarily it's been due to a money issue, which of course will probably clear up some in a couple months. Marriage and family? That's pretty iffy. I doubt that any woman of the type that I'm attracted to would see me as long-term relationship material, much less be attracted to me. But if it does happen I'd probably have one child, preferably a daughter. I may continue playing the violin, likely in a quartet or ensemble setting, and still mess around with other instruments.

Of course, it's much more difficult to say where I would be in about 40 years' time. I'll likely be retired, playing rugby in an old-boys' league, and trying to get the most out of the 20 or 30 years that I would have left.

Do you play any instruments?

The primary instrument I play is the violin. My mom made both me and my sister take violin lessons beginning at age four. She would always say that we had to play until we were "either 18 or independently wealthy." Well, I'm now 23, my sister's 32, and we still actively play, which definitely rules out the former in our mom's statement.

Throughout middle school and up to the first year of high school I played in the Wichita Youth Orchestras in first the chamber, then the repertory orchestra. I left the Youth Orchestras after my first year of high school due to the sharp increase in competitiveness between players, which was not the reason for my being there, and I put down the instrument for the rest of high school due to the negative connotations I had come to associate with it as a result of the pressures from my mom.

I picked it back up again in early 2004 during my freshman year in college after my sister's strong persistent invites to play in the Hutchinson Symphony. I feel like it's the first time that I've been able to play simply for the sake of playing. The Symphony is an absolute no-pressure, zero-competition environment where its members play because they have a desire to play. Plus, it pays.

Over the years I have dabbled in a few other instruments besides the violin, but I have never taken the time to become greatly proficient at any of them. They include the mandolin, guitar, banjo, balalaika, mountain dulcimer, hammered dulcimer, and bowed psaltery.

What movie made most impact on you in your life and why?

This may sound strange, but I would say a combination of "Donnie Darko" and "Garden State" made the most impact on me. Combine the internal struggles of Donnie with Andrew's struggle to come to terms with the experiences of his upbringing, and there I am in some weird form. Plus, the character of Sam in "Garden State" is not that far from my ideal significant other.

On top of that, those two movies were my first exposure to Echo and the Bunnymen, The Church, Joy Division, and Iron & Wine.

Which philosophical quote would you consider the most interesting or accurate?

This:

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Are you distracted by outward cares? Then allow yourself a space of quiet, wherein you can add to your knowledge of the Good and learn to curb your restlessness. Guard also against another kind of error: the folly of those who weary their days in much business, but lack any aim on which their whole effort, nay, their whole thought, is focussed.

--Meditations, Book II, Verse 7
Translated by Maxwell Staniforth

Is chicken really as dashing as he seems in photos?

Quite. 8)

Do you believe global warming is an important issue (and if so, what needs to be done) or is the issue overrated?

I do believe that global warming is an urgent issue, particularly with what I see around me in terms of the agricultural industry. Over the years I've noticed the weather patterns around here becoming less and less predictable. One year will be completely dry, then another will see violent floods, tornadoes, and sometimes unbearable heat. Sure the crops around here have fared quite well in the past year or so, but that can't make up for the years that they've failed.

In addition, the water supply is something that is of great concern. The summer before last, one of the reservoirs west of Salina was at its lowest level ever recorded. Near my hometown, the largest city in Kansas, one of the aquifers has been in danger of completely drying up for a number of years. Look what occurred this past summer in Atlanta, where the city came within three days of seeing its primary water supply dry up.

I don't understand how some people can call global warming overrated and a farce created by the "liberal media." That just seems plain silly.

I do think we are taking a step in the right direction with greater research into and the active harnessing of renewable energy sources. About 20 miles or so west of Salina a wind farm is being constructed in the Smoky Hills that will generate a rather significant amount of electricity once completed. I drove past a number of the windmills on the way to my job interview in Hays about a month ago, and the size of the windmills is almost jaw-dropping. It will be an awesome sight to see once the farm is fully operational.

If you could get a Ph.D. in ANY field, what comes to mind first?

One of the social fields comes to mind when I think of getting a Ph. D. I've been interested as of late as to how end users of computer systems perceive computer security, privacy, and the value of data, and what methods IT departments could employ to effectively convey the importance of these aspects to users, thereby creating a safer and more secure computing environment. Yes, I know it may not be all that grandiose of a topic to delve into, and perhaps it wouldn't pass muster as an earth-shattering thesis or dissertation topic, but I myself would find it quite interesting to say the least, especially with the lesser emphasis individuals place on keeping their personal data private as the prevalence of social networks continues to grow rapidly.

What was your first word?

"No."

Can I haz cheezeburger?

Yse! You can haz teh cheezburgerz kthxbai!1!

What is your view upon American politics and what changes would you like to see being made?

I see American politics as that beat-up old burnt-orange Volkswagen limping down the street in that less than stellar part of town, relentlessly backfiring every half block.

With all the lobbying and bribing going on in American government I honestly don't know what it would take to fix things. Congress began to be controlled by K Street long before I was born. Though I believe that a Democratic administration (specifically an Obama administration) has the potential to clean up a good amount of the corruption, human rights violations, and constitutional violations predicated by the Bush dynasty administration, the truth is that as long as human nature exists, corruption and bribery will exist. I know this may seem to be a cop-out to most, but after eight years of Bush it's difficult to separate fact from fiction in American politics.

Do you believe in democracy, or what other political system would you prefer to be installed in its place?

I wouldn't mind seeing a much more socialist-leaning system installed in the place of a democratic one. I think we've taken the concept of lassiez-faire and run with it a bit too far, with the skyrocket in home foreclosures within the past year the most recent example. A more socialist system may work well in areas where its people are more culturally bonded together and feel a greater sense of commonality, such as New England. In areas where people don't share that strong of a bond or commonality a socialist system may seem more of a burden, being viewed as a hindrance to personal success due to the perceived enforced duty of providing for others who are "too lazy" to provide for themselves.

Would you rather dive to the bottom of the seas or explore the views on top of a mountain?

By far I would prefer to explore the views on top of a mountain. I would rather be surrounded by light and air and open space than be surrounded by darkness and pressures that could crush you almost instantaneously.

Thanks to Boxguy for these very interesting responses.

Boxguy has nominated Profanity as next helpless victim member of the week!

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:59 pm

Very good read!!! Boxguy you are even cooler than I thought (and I already thought you were very cool).
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:27 pm

That question about Chicken made me realise I haven't seen any photos of several long-term members yet ... But indeed, very good reading and some really good answers in there!

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:16 pm

very interesting! i'd forgotten we were still doing this :oops: i'll try to think up some questions for the next victim volunteer!
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to Member Of The Week