The Smyths: TQID/Hatful of Hollow night

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Aziza » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:00 am

<a href="http://www.thesmyths.net/" target="_blank">http://www.thesmyths.net/</a>

I went to see these guys a few weeks ago at TQID anniversary night in Islington/last Fri in Brixton, and they were bloody fabulous. Well admittedly, appearance-wise, I don't think Bjorn Again wil be losing any sleep over the competition for authenticity, but singer Graham sounds remarkably like the Mozzer himself and the overall sound is pretty close to the real thing. (Though obviously they have to have 2 guitarists to replicate the Marr sound, but that's understandable.)

Anyway, they are playing the WHOLE of The Queen is Dead plus the WHOLE of Hatful of Hollow at the Dublin Castle in Camden next Saturday (29th). They expect tickets to sell out, so you can get them from the link on the site. 7 quid or something, bargainous.

I do not doubt that it will be a fantastic night.
Anyone coming?

Aziza xx
"Yonder, the Deacon, in Misguided Trousers"
Aziza
Regular

Postby laidinawe » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:22 pm

Have you seen the sweet and tender hooligans? They are fantastic! Really tight and the singer (José?) sounds very like Morrissey, he even moves and dances like him. It was very very good, honestly one of the best gigs I’ve been to in a while, especially as it was a tribute band.

The gig you mentioned sounds fabulous, it’s just a pity I live sooo far away! Enjoy it B)
A shoeless child on a swing
Reminds you of your own again
She took away your troubles
Oh, but then again
She left pain
So, please save your life
Because you've only got one
laidinawe

Postby Aziza » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:42 am

laidinawe wrote:Have you seen the sweet and tender hooligans? They are fantastic! Really tight and the singer (José?) sounds very like Morrissey, he even moves and dances like him. It was very very good, honestly one of the best gigs I’ve been to in a while, especially as it was a tribute band.

The gig you mentioned sounds fabulous, it’s just a pity I live sooo far away! Enjoy it B)

Yeah I have seen TSATHs, it was about 6 years ago and I don't seem to remember being massively impressed but I expect they have improved by now! <_< Think it was because the singer was very American; no disrespect but there was defo something Mozlike missing... It might also have been because I had to witness Cure, New Order and G. Numan tribute acts in the same night. Too much!!!

Zi
"Yonder, the Deacon, in Misguided Trousers"
Aziza
Regular

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:48 pm

Shite, why do we in Ireland never have any Smiths nights ? :( (apart from our upcoming Strangeways Dublin meet-up of course !)

We have one Smiths tribute band as well: These Charming Men ( http://www.thesecharmingmen.com and http://www.myspace.com/thesecharmingmen ) who are really good as well. I've heard good things about The Smyths as well, an article in an English paper stated "we will never see the real Smiths again, but The Smyths is about as close as you'll ever get"
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:36 am

I've seen a few of the Smiths tribute bands though I've yet to see 'These Charming Men'.
I saw SaTH on their 1st visit to Manchester (just after the September 11th tragedy) obviously Jose isn't a lookylikey seeing has how he's Mexican but I thought soundwise he was excellent for an American accented person.
here's some <a href="http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/Grimo35/other%20smiffs/?start=0" target="_blank">pics</a> of the Other Smiths from last year.
I've also seen the Smiths Indeed when thay played Glasgow (their 1st gig) I've posted a review etc on the forum somewhere too.
I can't remember if it was the Smyths that played on the Smiths Symposium weekend, it was one of the tribute bands anyway.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Lazy Dyke » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:31 am

Went to see them last night at a little pub near me, there wasn't many people and so the atmosphere was annoyingly dismal, but the music was fantastic! The guy really does look and sound like Morrissey and the band are fab too. Being too young to ever actually see The Smiths it was really good for me to hear the songs performed by a band who looked and sounded somewhat alike to them. :)
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby madmancmonkey » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:28 am

The frontman of the Smyths was on a Radio four doc. entitled send in the clones about tribute acts. It was cool but I don't think I would see any tribute act inc. the Smyths ... one person quoted going to do so as having sex with a blow-up doll! :lol:
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Return to The Smiths