[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - The Very Best Of ...

The Very Best Of ...

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Hidden by Rags » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:28 pm

Hidden by Rags
Regular

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:58 pm

Definitely a good album for those who want a first introduction to The Smiths, and that's what "best of" albums are for after all. So it definitely succeeds in its goal. I wouldn't say all songs on it are amongst their best ones, but their best ones are all on it though. Apart from one: Rubber Ring, that one is very much missing. But I guess the record company wanted the songs to all sound very familiar somehow, and wanted to avoid the lesser known ones...

The cover is a disaster though. You can see the band wasn't involved in choosing the picture. A shame, as "Best I", "Best II" and "Singles" all have good sleeve pics (especially the one with a sad looking girl in a pub holding a cigarette, has something very melancholic)
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:20 pm

I'm struggling to imagine a bad Smiths compilation to be honest - the only thing that would make this one worse than any other is that it came out later and is therefore completely superfluous. I don't have it... but it seems alright to me. The cover is rubbish, though.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Hidden by Rags » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:33 pm

Hidden by Rags
Regular

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:07 am

Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:48 am

I think the angst against the cd was that it was just ripping off fans after best 1 then best 2 then singles. Of course for the completeists it had to be bought (holds up hand).
Cover artist is Charles Hawtrey star of many Carry On films, so I guess whoever though it up was running out of ideas or just couldn't be arsed about it!

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby HandsomeDevil » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:17 am

Shamedly, The Very best Of... was the first Smiths CD I owned, and is how I first discovered songs other than HSIN?, This Charming Man and Panic etc.
I do think its a good package of songs, but yes it does have its flaws, and when band members encourage fans not to buy this, it makes you feel somewhat guilty if you already have....
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby helmoz » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:08 pm

twas my first smiths cd too, so i have a soft spot for it!

helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Return to The Smiths