General Smiths Chat

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby kurt » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:20 pm

I was looking around for smiths videos and info, and came across an interview, it was about Moz being a sex symbol?

Read...

Interviewer -- You once said that being a "sex symbol" was the best thing to be
Morrissey -- But that was at a time when I thought it could possibly never happen, and to a small degree it has happened
Interviewer -- Do you consider yourself a "sex symbol"
Morrissey -- well other people do, seem to, so therefore in a way I suppose I must be. I mean, It's not something we decide for ourselves, you don't say yes I'm going to become a "sex symbol", and I would appeal to lots of people in an immensely sexual way, that's not something we decide, other people decide it, and to some degree they have, I mean I get letters saying, "Morrissey your incredibly sexy" and of coarse I throw them away.
Interviewer -- You throw them away?
Morrissey -- No...I frame them
Interviewer -- So do you keep them?
Morrissey -- Oh I keep them all, I reply to them, take their phone numbers etc.
Interviewer -- Your being slightly flippant
Morrissey -- Yes unnecessarily flippant
Interviewer -- So how does it feel to be a "sex symbol" given what you just said?
Morrissey -- Well I get these letters, and I read them, and I sing, and we appear on stage, and girls scream, and you know they want to touch me, and I kind of look at them and I read these letters, and I look at the whole thing and I say well yes its very interesting but, I do feel slightly detached...to associate with this person which would receive these letters, this kind of sexual person, this desirable person...its not really me.
<div align="left"><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green"><!--/coloro-->Everything you say to me takes me One step closer to the edge</div>

<div align="right">and I'm about to break<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
kurt
Supreme

Postby Still Ill » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:00 am

Gee, no wonder Morrissey (and for other celebrities I'm sure) dread being interviewed.
'Do you consider yourself a sex symbol?' How can it not be tough to answer, even if you know you're perceived as one? What kind of answer do they expect when they ask that? Still, it was funny to follow that exchange between them.

Btw, I've seen this general thread on other forums and it does work for miscellaneous thoughts or comments. If there's enough interest, we can maybe pin this. :)
Last edited by Still Ill on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:16 pm

aaaw poor Moz, how can he not realise that he is a,i hate the phrase!, 'sex symbol'?! he's just being modest clearly! :P aaw bless

Stefi x
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby madmancmonkey » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:05 pm

thank god for this thread ... apparently talking about the Smiths in general BORES people.... but you,ve proved them wrong by this invention.

Missed Rourke on Tuesday!
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby kurt » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:01 pm

haha, it was only an idea, i just thought people would like to just TALK about anything that has something to do with the band! :lol:
<div align="left"><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green"><!--/coloro-->Everything you say to me takes me One step closer to the edge</div>

<div align="right">and I'm about to break<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
kurt
Supreme

Postby kurt » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:07 pm

Hmm this thread isnt very active! :(
Last edited by kurt on Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurt
Supreme

Postby this_charming_girl » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:10 pm

hehe aaw poor kurtis, post something interesting for people to talk about then! its your thread! :P :D
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby kurt » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:46 am

uhm.... its harder than it seems :(

oh yeah! i heard that Moz is gay??? Do you think he is? I dont

kurt
Supreme

Postby Lazy Dyke » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:14 pm

Handsome Devil wrote:uhm.... its harder than it seems :(

oh yeah! i heard that Moz is gay??? Do you think he is? I dont

I don't think it matters, anybody else here will tell you the same. However to not be able to see the probability that he has had homosexual experiences, is being blind.

All in all... Morrissey has created his own gender and sexuality. Which is just brilliant.
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby kurt » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:37 pm

Haha good point there, he is his own person and does his own thing, which is awesome, he does everything in a unique way (including how he sings/performs) Hes dresses his own way and right up to those little details by the way he swing the wire from his mic.! He really is a cool guy!!!!!

kurt
Supreme

Postby rubygirl » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:08 pm

I have been listening to a lot of Smiths' songs this evening - and I was just thinking how much humour is there in them actually.
I often listen to The Smiths when I am kinda sad or feeling repressed in one or another - and in such moment relate to the darker side, or dimension, of their work: I know the irony is also there, the funny side is also present, but didn't how to say it, dwell on it so much. But tonight is all about the fun - and yes, songs like Bigmouth, Some Girls, Cemetry Gates make me think listening to them Smiths ;) can be not only a profound emotional journey - but pure fun as well. :D
I guess all depends on your frame of mind at the moment: what you see& how you see it, whot you hear & how you hear it.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sun May 20, 2007 1:36 am

I was watching Alice in Wonderland clips the other day (YAY Alice!!) and the part where the mad hatter and the march hare sing Happy Unbirthday I had one of those "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh..." moments in which I connected it to Unhappy Birthday :).
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Re: General Smiths Chat

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sun May 24, 2009 6:15 pm

Amazing how depressing times like this one (economic in this case) has me rushing back to listening to the Smiths and only the Smiths.
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Re: General Smiths Chat

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:27 am

In one of the biographies I read about Morrissey it said that the first few gigs that the Smiths played had a cross dressed guy onstage just dancing, but they dropped him for the potential for popularity. Sounds like they wanted to stir things up and then decided that, since they did pop, they had to stick on some level to pop expectations. Imagine if they had kept him though, would have been something!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Return to The Smiths