If Moz and Marr got back together...

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:15 pm

Morrissey and Johnny said in a few interviews that there is no way the Smiths will ever re-unite, but that they still respect each other and have no hard feelings towards each other, not even ruling out the option of a Morrissey-Marr collaboration.

Imagine this would indeed happen, Marr and Moz come back together but without Andy and Mike (but with a different bass player and drummer), do you think they would have the right to use the moniker The Smiths based on the fact that they wrote the songs? Or would you say it'd be blasphemy to see a different line-up than the original?
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby kurt » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:09 pm

only all 4 of them is acceptable! It just wouldnt be the same without them!
<div align="left"><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green"><!--/coloro-->Everything you say to me takes me One step closer to the edge</div>

<div align="right">and I'm about to break<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
kurt
Supreme

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:39 am

When bands do this, it pisses me off- so no.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:45 am

Well, I wouldn't mind at all if they do that, my god, it would be soooo great!
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:25 am

Without minimalising the contributions of Rourke and Joyce, I would somewhat agree with Truman Capote. Morrissey and Marr wrote all the songs, they were the ones that lifted The Smiths to a higher level. I'd say that if they get back together and release new material or do a new tour, that it'd be justified to use the moniker The Smiths. The original line-up would be even better of course, but when the core of the band is united I'd say the moniker should be usable, and honestly I think we can conclude the core of the band was the unique duo Marr-Morrissey.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby WordsAsOldAsSin » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:18 am

to be honest the smiths wouldnt be the smiths without all of them :( besides, who knows how the music would sound like without those two?
Love is Natural and Real
But not for such as you and I, my love
WordsAsOldAsSin
Supreme

Postby weasey » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:25 pm

If Moz and Marr reunited I wouldn't like it to be a continuation of the smiths but something completely different, so they'd have to come up with something else, ala 'The Tears' but not as disappointing.

SMITHS IS DEAD!
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Re:

Postby DAVIE » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:03 pm

I think The Tears didn't go very well to be honest, I think The Smiths would be rubbish with Rouke's bass line and Joyce on the drums. It's their songs too since they played them!
DAVIE

Return to The Smiths