'Celebrity' fans of the Smiths

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Lazy Dyke » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:17 pm

Cracked Pleasures wrote:He doesn't come across as bitter to me, more stubborn than bitter. And well, relationships (and then I also mean colleague-esque or artist-esque, not just amourous) change and sometimes fade away. As much as I'd love seeing the Smiths re-united, in a way I appreciate Morrissey for his honesty rather than making things look better than they are. If you pretend people are your friends just because it looks good in the books, but in reality you don't get along at all, what sort of masquerade is that? Moz is honest, and I appreciate that, wouldn't call it 'bitter'.

I beg to differ, maybe he is slightly bitter nowadays, but I'd say sometimes that Johnny Marr etc. were more bitter. I've read some accounts that Morrissey was miserable when The Smith's split up, he'd do anything to want them to reform. The court case is the only thing that has made him bitter, and I think in all honesty he projects the image that "he hates The Smiths period of his life" because he actually loved it, and he's trying to cover this up in order to say being a solo artist has made him happy - which perhaps sometimes it has, but I believe he was very unhappy at first, especially during the period of Viva Hate. I have no proof of this, but it seemed to me.. Morrissey loved The Smiths, and what they represented. I think a part of him died when they split up.
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby HandsomeDevil » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:06 pm

Couldn't have said it better Lazy Dyke B)
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby Bouazizi » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:16 pm

HandsomeDevil wrote:Couldn't have said it better Lazy Dyke B)

Agreed. :(
<!--fonto:Verdana--><span style="font-family:Verdana"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->♪ ♫<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#FF6600--><span style="color:#FF6600"><!--/coloro-->there is a light that never goes out<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bouazizi
Regular

Postby saint francis » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:17 pm

Brandon Flowers (his real name apparently) singer of The Killers is a fan of The Smiths, and English indie music in general.

Quote: "It's indie rock and roll for me" :D

I'd recommend the frst Killers album in particular if you haven't got it already BTW.
saint francis

Postby Truman Capote » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:06 pm

saint francis wrote:Brandon Flowers (his real name apparently) singer of The Killers is a fan of The Smiths, and English indie music in general.

Quote: "It's indie rock and roll for me" :D

I'd recommend the frst Killers album in particular if you haven't got it already BTW.

ewww... no, thank you very much.

And I agree with Lazy Dyke, very well said!!!
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:15 am

HandsomeDevil wrote:Obviously he's not the same as he was back in the 80's...

I would generally say that in any 20 year period people become "not the same" a lot. I am most certainly a different person than I was 20 years ago and I expect the same thing will be able to be said 20 years from now. That being said- Robbie Williams= fan. I read it in an interview with him while I was bored and in transit.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby lilybett » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:41 am

strangeways wrote:Dave Cameron has great musical taste - a big Smiths & Radiohead fan.

It's a shame he's a tory shitbag, innit?

Down with Dave 'I'm just like you' Cameron! His lies make baby Jesus cry :angry:

My favourite celebrity fans are Russell Brand and Kathy Burke.
I will not change and I will not be nice!
lilybett

Postby this_charming_girl » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:09 pm

haha i read today that David Cameron was caught travelling on the Tube without a ticket, and when they asked him why it was because he was travelling back from seeing Moz at Wembley! i love him, what a dude?! :D hehe
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Bouazizi » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:06 pm

^ haha. :D

"Andre 3000", the Outkast rapper says his favourite Smiths track is "william it was really nothing"...so I guess he must be a fan too!

:lol:
<!--fonto:Verdana--><span style="font-family:Verdana"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->♪ ♫<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#FF6600--><span style="color:#FF6600"><!--/coloro-->there is a light that never goes out<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bouazizi
Regular

Postby Aziza » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:49 pm

Apparently various famous(ish) Mancunians have been spotted at the Star and Garter's Smiths night - the only one I can remember though is Hayley off Coronation Street!

Aziza
"Yonder, the Deacon, in Misguided Trousers"
Aziza
Regular

Postby WordsAsOldAsSin » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:08 am

hmm the band 'brand new' seem to love the smiths/morrissey :D
Love is Natural and Real
But not for such as you and I, my love
WordsAsOldAsSin
Supreme

Postby some_dizzy_whore_1804 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:39 am

Eric Judy the bassist from Modest Mouse has a framed photo of the Smiths in his house! He told me this :D

And now you know the truth about me, you won't see me anymore!
But i'm still fond of you...oh oh
some_dizzy_whore_1804
Supreme

Previous

Return to The Smiths