'Celebrity' fans of the Smiths

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Bouazizi » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:33 pm

Which figures in popular culture today, are well-known fans of the Smiths?

We can include anyone from writers, to comedians, from politicians to other musicians who were inspired.

Let's LIST! B)
<!--fonto:Verdana--><span style="font-family:Verdana"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->♪ ♫<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#FF6600--><span style="color:#FF6600"><!--/coloro-->there is a light that never goes out<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bouazizi
Regular

Postby Lorimoz » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:53 pm

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Harry Hill
Jonathan Ross ( we know he likes MOZ :unsure: )<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Nobody loves us
Lorimoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby HandsomeDevil » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:13 pm

Me.
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby helmoz » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:25 pm

2 famous ex-<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duryard_Halls" target="_blank">duryard</a>ers:
JK rowling
moi
:D
also my chemical romance, hundred reasons, will self, bono, and pete wentz (from fall out boy) are fans. and david cameron, allegedly, although you cant really trust what politicians say...
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:47 pm

helmoz wrote:bono, and pete wentz (from fall out boy) are fans. and david cameron, allegedly, although you cant really trust what politicians say...

Yeyyyyyyyyyy.
elko
Site Admin

Postby madmancmonkey » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:23 am

elko wrote:<!--quoteo(post=36981:date=Nov 14 2006, 09:25 PM:name=helmoz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(helmoz @ Nov 14 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]36981[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
bono, and pete wentz (from fall out boy) are fans. and david cameron, allegedly, although you cant really trust what politicians say...

Yeyyyyyyyyyy.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's alright David Cameron being a fan ..... just as long as he gets the significance of Margeret on the guilloutine!!!! ;)
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:54 pm

Billy Corgan and Pete Doherty are fans too.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:39 pm

Nicky Wire, but i think he dislikes Moz, as do a fair few Smiths fans it seems, which i find truly bafling!
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby HandsomeDevil » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:17 pm

Moz, doesn't particularly endear himself to 'Smiths' fans by making negative comments about the band as he often does.
Obviously he's not the same as he was back in the 80's...styles have changed, his style has changed and not everybody will continue to like him from back then right through to now.

I can understand people that don't like him anymore. He's extremely bitter.
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby strangeways » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:45 pm

Dave Cameron has great musical taste - a big Smiths & Radiohead fan.
strangeways

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:23 pm

HandsomeDevil wrote:Moz, doesn't particularly endear himself to 'Smiths' fans by making negative comments about the band as he often does.
Obviously he's not the same as he was back in the 80's...styles have changed, his style has changed and not everybody will continue to like him from back then right through to now.

I can understand people that don't like him anymore. He's extremely bitter.

He doesn't come across as bitter to me, more stubborn than bitter. And well, relationships (and then I also mean colleague-esque or artist-esque, not just amourous) change and sometimes fade away. As much as I'd love seeing the Smiths re-united, in a way I appreciate Morrissey for his honesty rather than making things look better than they are. If you pretend people are your friends just because it looks good in the books, but in reality you don't get along at all, what sort of masquerade is that? Moz is honest, and I appreciate that, wouldn't call it 'bitter'.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby yandee » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:48 pm

I'm totally of your opinion, C.P. I admire Moz for his honesty, for his continuity and for his will to create art. In some interview an Austrian radio station had with him, when he visited Salzburg for a festival gig, he said that lots of his fans admire his lyrics for dealing with adolescent problems, but he doesn't find anything adolescent in his lyrics nowadays for he is 47 soon. I can understand that some of his fans don't like him a lot nowadays, but I think growing "bitter" has a lot to do with growing up. I, for example, can perfectly identify with his Smiths lyrics and with his solo lyrics as well, for I also bear that loving, boy with the thorn in his side and that somehow harsh man, Moz had to become. So I can understand that there are more sides to people than just a projected image.

But as to return to the actual topic of this thread:
Ryan Adams is also a great Morrissey admirer. The first cut on his debut album "Heartbreaker" is a conversation on Suedehead

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby Bouazizi » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:05 pm

How can i forget...RUSSELL BRAND!

he is a huge smiths and Moz fan. he even went as far as to say that he wanted 'asleep' to be played at his funeral...

he also said moz was the "most iconic britain" of all time. B)

btw he's on RB's show in early december.

B)
<!--fonto:Verdana--><span style="font-family:Verdana"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->♪ ♫<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#FF6600--><span style="color:#FF6600"><!--/coloro-->there is a light that never goes out<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bouazizi
Regular

Postby madmancmonkey » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:28 am

Russell is the MAN! Listened to his show on RADIO 2 ... the second track he played was a Smiths and the fourth a Morrissey track! Legend.
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:49 am

mancsmithsfan wrote:<!--quoteo(post=36982:date=Nov 14 2006, 09:47 PM:name=elko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elko @ Nov 14 2006, 09:47 PM) [snapback]36982[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
<!--quoteo(post=36981:date=Nov 14 2006, 09:25 PM:name=helmoz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(helmoz @ Nov 14 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]36981[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
bono, and pete wentz (from fall out boy) are fans. and david cameron, allegedly, although you cant really trust what politicians say...

Yeyyyyyyyyyy.

It's alright David Cameron being a fan ..... just as long as he gets the significance of Margeret on the guilloutine!!!! ;)

Well I actually thought Ellis was referring to Bono and Pete Wentz, or all three. But not knowing more than a little about British politicians...
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to The Smiths