Have you met him?

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Truman Capote » Fri May 18, 2007 3:07 am

Shintaro Ishihara wrote:<!--quoteo(post=40989:date=May 17 2007, 03:58 PM:name=chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chicken @ May 17 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]40989[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
<!--quoteo(post=40983:date=May 17 2007, 09:55 PM:name=Truman Capote)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Truman Capote @ May 17 2007, 09:55 PM) [snapback]40983[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
How was that? You HAVE TO tell us about that!

i was thinking the same.
like someone can say something like that on this forum and believe the rest of us will be content...
:D

please share!
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I told some of my stories of meeting Morrrissey at SoLow and I was met with hostility, so you can't blame me for being hesitant to share. Here is was I can tell you from my own experience as a fan meeting Morrissey.

I grew up in Los Angeles, and I first meet him at his hotel on the Queen is Dead tour. I was about 16 he was in his early/mid 20s. He was just sitting in the lobby of the hotel. He jokingly said he was waiting for other fans to stop by but I was the only one, so he would have to make due with me. He was very nice, he asked me tons of questions, what was my favorite Smiths song, what was my least favorite, do you think the Smiths will be big in America, etc. He signed everything I brought with me, about 6 records and a poster, tour book. Then after about 15 min. Someone came in a car to pick him up.

I met him a few more times in L.A. in the 80s Similar experience, always asked lots of questions. I met him again in 1991, when he was shooting the November Spawned a Monster video. He seemed to have loads of time then, he previously went shopping with other 2 fans, and when he got back he was signing tons of stuff for them and I joking asked if he wanted to go get something to eat. He said he had plans but asked if I wanted to meet him at a pub later that night, I said I couldn't because I was still 20yrs at the time. But I came back the next day, and again he seemed to have plenty of time on his hands and wanted to go to a punk collectible shop in Orange County and asked how to get there if I could make a map for him. I don't think he realized how far it really was and I said, it's just easier if I take you there. he said sure, let me grab my coat. This was probably the best meeting I have had with him. At this time he was still hung up on the Smiths breakup, and asked lots and lots of questions. I also noticed he was kinda cheap, very price sensitive. I asked him about it, and he said "I don't know how long this will last without Johnny"

After this is where I consider Morrissey died for me.

The next 4 times I met him was in Los Vegas, San Francisco, Santa Barbara and in 2x LA during the Kill Uncle tour.

In LA there were about 15 people waiting for him, he signed for them all, didn't talk much, posed for a few pictures and refused to sign any Smiths stuff.

In S.F. there were about 5 people waiting for him, he didn't sign for any of them, and didn't say a peep to any of them, just got on the bus and headed for Sacramento.

In Vegas he signed for about 20 people, but again didn't say much didn't sign any Smiths stuff.

Back in L.A. I caught him at the Hotel alone, he signed a few Morrissey solo items for me, I already had all my Smiths stuff signed, but asked why he stopped signing, he said "don't ever mention the Smiths to me again"He wasn't mean when he said it, but he was changed. This did not seem like the same man who asked me a million questions about the Smiths just a few months before.

Later on around the time Your Arsenal came out he was on MTV with his band and said that he liked his new band much better than the Smiths. With that my heart sunk. I was very bitter about it for awhile, I didn't bother going to the Your Arsenal Tour, I felt his new band where the "hired help" and substandard and thought that Morrissey was self-diluted at the time. I later warmed up.

Needless to say this was the last time I was able to meet Morrissey, security became tighter at shows, I tried a few times to meet him at his house in LA but I always seemed to miss him, I caught his gardner once, and he told me that he doesn't meet fans at the house anymore, I guess he was in a hurry one day and didn't have time for a fan at his house and the fan kicked his car and dented it. I saw the car the story was true. I tried one more time with no luck. I also seen interviews where he complained about fans trying to meet him at his home. So I gave up on the idea.

Now he is living in Italy, it may actually be easier to meet him in LA, It's less intrusive meeting someone at a Hotel then at their home... He may be more receptive.

Hope you found it interesting...

I may share other stories if your nice.
Oh God, IwannabeyouIwannabeyouIwannabeyouIwannabeyouIwannabeyou! :D
And you shouldn't be afraid of being attacked here, this is not morrissey-solow.com...

T.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Ishihara » Fri May 18, 2007 6:21 am

Truman Capote wrote:
And you shouldn't be afraid of being attacked here, this is not morrissey-solow.com...

T.

Okay since you guys are being so so nice... I'll share a photo of Moz and me, this is from June 14th 1991, he was about to head out to the Tonight Show to preform for Johnny Carson. About 6 or so other fans were there waiting for him, He signed for everyone, but refused to sign any Smiths stuff, I had him sign a Kill Uncle Tour Book and a very large Kill Uncle Poster. I got to ride with some of Morrissey's peeps in a 2nd limo to the show and see him perform. Everyone was there to see Morrissey at the taping no one gave a crap about what Billy Cosby had to say. Freaking AWESOME day.

The people in the photo L2R; Limo driver, Morrissey, Jim (morrissey's person security), bald guy we suspected was morrissey's lover at the time but don't know for sure, me.

When I posted this photo on morrissey-solow.com people made fun of my clothes and said I looked like a rent boy, other people accused me of photoshopping myself into the picture. I was just trying to share something interesting.

Here is the stuff I got signed, the Kill Uncle Poster, and the Kill Uncle Tour Book were signed that day.

thanks for being so nice to me here.

:ph34r:
...Ishiara has spoken!
ImageImageImage
Ishihara
Supreme

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Fri May 18, 2007 7:32 am

Wow! What a treat that was!! You are so lucky! Plus you were able to put in a lot of effort to achieve that much 'luck' with meeting him-- good on you!
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Fri May 18, 2007 8:36 am

Shintaro Ishihara wrote:<!--quoteo(post=40997:date=May 17 2007, 08:07 PM:name=Truman Capote)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Truman Capote @ May 17 2007, 08:07 PM) [snapback]40997[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

T.

Okay since you guys are being so so nice... I'll share a photo of Moz and me, this is from June 14th 1991, he was about to head out to the Tonight Show to preform for Johnny Carson. About 6 or so other fans were there waiting for him, He signed for everyone, but refused to sign any Smiths stuff, I had him sign a Kill Uncle Tour Book and a very large Kill Uncle Poster. I got to ride with some of Morrissey's peeps in a 2nd limo to the show and see him perform. Everyone was there to see Morrissey at the taping no one gave a crap about what Billy Cosby had to say. Freaking AWESOME day.

The people in the photo L2R; Limo driver, Morrissey, Jim (morrissey's person security), bald guy we suspected was morrissey's lover at the time but don't know for sure, me.

When I posted this photo on morrissey-solow.com people made fun of my clothes and said I looked like a rent boy, other people accused me of photoshopping myself into the picture. I was just trying to share something interesting.

Here is the stuff I got signed, the Kill Uncle Poster, and the Kill Uncle Tour Book were signed that day.

thanks for being so nice to me here.

TC is A-M-A-Z-E-D
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Ishihara » Sun May 20, 2007 7:04 am

So on the 2nd leg of the US Kill Uncle Tour '91. I met Morrissey again. I forget the exact date but suffice to say it was after the UCLA Poly Pavilion show that was cut short. I know this much because I had him sign the 2nd Kill Uncle Tour Book which I bought at the UCLA show.

Anyway I headed over to his LA hotel, there were about 50 fans there all dispersing. I found out I had just missed him by a few minutes and he got in the car promptly and didn't sign for anyone. So I went and got some lunch and came back later that afternoon. Once again I had just missed him. There were about 3 fans there who had gotten stuff signed. They told me he went in and they were going to wait for him to come out again.

I went over to a friends house to hang out, I was telling him about my failed attempts for the day. He said well you just gotta try one more time. He brought his dads camera and we headed to the hotel. When we got there, no fans were there at all. I figured they must have gotten what they wanted and left. Just as we were about to leave a town car pulled up. So we agreed to wait to see who was going to get in it.

Sure enough slowly walking my way it was Morrissey. He was in a really good mood. He said "oh were you waiting for me?" Typical Moz being facetious. He signed my tour book and I asked him about a rumored bootleg of Viva Hate outtakes. He assured me there really were no complete songs that were outtakes from the Viva Hate sessions. My friend had him sign the Morrissey Rock Star Trading Card, he knew about it but thought it was an odd thing to sign, on the picture of him on the back of the card he drew a little Hitler mustache. He wanted to know what shows we had seen on the tour, what songs sounded particularly good live. We mentioned the shows were too short. He said something about that's how I get you to go to more than one show. He was starting to say something then he stopped short and realized he had to leave. He said he wanted to chat longer but he was meeting an "impatient" friend. Just as he turned we asked if we could take a photo. He said, "Oh yes thank you" My friend felt rushed and he messed up the photo. Its out of focus and snapped the shot when Moz was looking away. argh... but I guess a crappy photo is better than no photo. He extended his hand to shake hands goodnight. I responded with my arms wide and he gave me a hug and said "thank you." My friend settled for the handshake. This was the last time I met Morrissey. Which was a good way to end it, I got to have him all to myself right when he was in the height of his fame. Subsequent times I tried to meet him, there were just way too too many fans. There was just no way he could have stopped to chat and sign for them without getting mobbed.

Hope you found it interesting.
...Ishiara has spoken!
ImageImageImage
Ishihara
Supreme

Postby Eight of nine lives » Sun May 20, 2007 9:37 am

I love Moz's jacket in that photo. The burgundy rules. Great story, and great photo. I'm truly jealous. :o
Eight of nine lives
Regular

Postby Ishihara » Sun May 20, 2007 3:15 pm

Eight of nine lives wrote:I love Moz's jacket in that photo. The burgundy rules. Great story, and great photo. I'm truly jealous. :o

The Jacket was definantly wool, which I thought was odd for the summer...

...Ishiara has spoken!
ImageImageImage
Ishihara
Supreme

Previous

Return to The Smiths