Have you met him?

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby saint francis » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:54 pm

Hello.

I was lucky enough to be invited to the "Ivor Novello" awards in Park Lane, London about 6 (or so) years ago thanks to a mate of mine winning a ticket from a London radio station.

I met Sting, two of the lesser members of Radiohead (bass player and rhythm guitarist), Elton John (not really met, but stood next to), and of course Morrissey who picked up a lifetime achievement award.

Has anyone here ever met him, and if so what were your impressions?
saint francis

Postby saint francis » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:13 pm

saint francis wrote:Hello.

I was lucky enough to be invited to the "Ivor Novello" awards in Park Lane, London about 6 (or so) years ago thanks to a mate of mine winning a ticket from a London radio station.

I met Sting, two of the lesser members of Radiohead (bass player and rhythm guitarist), Elton John (not really met, but stood next to), and of course Morrissey who picked up a lifetime achievement award.

Has anyone here ever met him, and if so what were your impressions?
saint francis

Postby elko » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:25 pm

Hehe. I think you could probably take the silence as a 'no, you lucky git' :P
elko
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:25 pm

I'm not sure if I'd envy someone standing next to Elton John, I even fear it's a scary experience :ph34r:

Mozzer is on my "people to meet" list, along with Maynard James Keenan and Amy Lee (although for Amy my intentions are totally different than for Maynard and Moz, I admit :unsure: )
Last edited by Cracked Pleasures on Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby saint francis » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:50 pm

Apologies for the unintentional bumping of thread.

CP - you're quite right about Mr John (enough said really) :D .

BTW I really should qualify "meet". I walked to his table after everyone had finished eating and explained that I was a "fan" (a bit embarrassing in retrospect), said a few things that I needed to say and shook his hand.

He never actually utterred a word in reply, but listened attentively and gave respectful (I think/hope) nods of his head as I spoke.

Easily forgotten for him I'm sure, but a nod of the head and a shake of the hand made my night.
saint francis

Postby irishbloodirishheart » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:46 pm

saint francis wrote:
Easily forgotten for him I'm sure, but a nod of the head and a shake of the hand made my night.

it would make my life.... you are so so so lucky!

xxx
irishbloodirishheart
Advanced

Postby Bobby » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:24 am

I've never met him...I'm not sure if I'd want to really. Keep your friends close but your idols out of sight...but maybe a quick handshake could do no harm.

However, I would lavish the chance to meet Barbara Windsor!!
Last edited by Bobby on Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
<span style='color:blue'>"Leave me alone because I'm alright, dad just surprised to still be on my own...."</span>

Bobby
Advanced

Postby Ishihara » Wed May 16, 2007 10:56 pm

Yes, I have met all the Smiths more than once.

:ph34r:
...Ishiara has spoken!
ImageImageImage
Ishihara
Supreme

Postby Truman Capote » Thu May 17, 2007 9:55 pm

How was that? You HAVE TO tell us about that!
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Thu May 17, 2007 10:58 pm

Truman Capote wrote:How was that? You HAVE TO tell us about that!

i was thinking the same.
like someone can say something like that on this forum and believe the rest of us will be content...
:D

please share!
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Thu May 17, 2007 11:30 pm

Shintaro Ishihara wrote:Yes, I have met all the Smiths more than once.

Indeed.
You've teased our curiosity ...do tell us something, we've never met anyone of them... :ph34r:
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Ishihara » Thu May 17, 2007 11:40 pm

chicken wrote:<!--quoteo(post=40983:date=May 17 2007, 09:55 PM:name=Truman Capote)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Truman Capote @ May 17 2007, 09:55 PM) [snapback]40983[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
How was that? You HAVE TO tell us about that!

i was thinking the same.
like someone can say something like that on this forum and believe the rest of us will be content...
:D

please share!
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I told some of my stories of meeting Morrrissey at SoLow and I was met with hostility, so you can't blame me for being hesitant to share. Here is was I can tell you from my own experience as a fan meeting Morrissey.

I grew up in Los Angeles, and I first meet him at his hotel on the Queen is Dead tour. I was about 16 he was in his early/mid 20s. He was just sitting in the lobby of the hotel. He jokingly said he was waiting for other fans to stop by but I was the only one, so he would have to make due with me. He was very nice, he asked me tons of questions, what was my favorite Smiths song, what was my least favorite, do you think the Smiths will be big in America, etc. He signed everything I brought with me, about 6 records and a poster, tour book. Then after about 15 min. Someone came in a car to pick him up.

I met him a few more times in L.A. in the 80s Similar experience, always asked lots of questions. I met him again in 1991, when he was shooting the November Spawned a Monster video. He seemed to have loads of time then, he previously went shopping with other 2 fans, and when he got back he was signing tons of stuff for them and I joking asked if he wanted to go get something to eat. He said he had plans but asked if I wanted to meet him at a pub later that night, I said I couldn't because I was still 20yrs at the time. But I came back the next day, and again he seemed to have plenty of time on his hands and wanted to go to a punk collectible shop in Orange County and asked how to get there if I could make a map for him. I don't think he realized how far it really was and I said, it's just easier if I take you there. he said sure, let me grab my coat. This was probably the best meeting I have had with him. At this time he was still hung up on the Smiths breakup, and asked lots and lots of questions. I also noticed he was kinda cheap, very price sensitive. I asked him about it, and he said "I don't know how long this will last without Johnny"

After this is where I consider Morrissey died for me.

The next 4 times I met him was in Los Vegas, San Francisco, Santa Barbara and in 2x LA during the Kill Uncle tour.

In LA there were about 15 people waiting for him, he signed for them all, didn't talk much, posed for a few pictures and refused to sign any Smiths stuff.

In S.F. there were about 5 people waiting for him, he didn't sign for any of them, and didn't say a peep to any of them, just got on the bus and headed for Sacramento.

In Vegas he signed for about 20 people, but again didn't say much didn't sign any Smiths stuff.

Back in L.A. I caught him at the Hotel alone, he signed a few Morrissey solo items for me, I already had all my Smiths stuff signed, but asked why he stopped signing, he said "don't ever mention the Smiths to me again"He wasn't mean when he said it, but he was changed. This did not seem like the same man who asked me a million questions about the Smiths just a few months before.

Later on around the time Your Arsenal came out he was on MTV with his band and said that he liked his new band much better than the Smiths. With that my heart sunk. I was very bitter about it for awhile, I didn't bother going to the Your Arsenal Tour, I felt his new band where the "hired help" and substandard and thought that Morrissey was self-diluted at the time. I later warmed up.

Needless to say this was the last time I was able to meet Morrissey, security became tighter at shows, I tried a few times to meet him at his house in LA but I always seemed to miss him, I caught his gardner once, and he told me that he doesn't meet fans at the house anymore, I guess he was in a hurry one day and didn't have time for a fan at his house and the fan kicked his car and dented it. I saw the car the story was true. I tried one more time with no luck. I also seen interviews where he complained about fans trying to meet him at his home. So I gave up on the idea.

Now he is living in Italy, it may actually be easier to meet him in LA, It's less intrusive meeting someone at a Hotel then at their home... He may be more receptive.

Hope you found it interesting...

I may share other stories if your nice.
...Ishiara has spoken!
ImageImageImage
Ishihara
Supreme

Postby rubygirl » Thu May 17, 2007 11:48 pm

Shintaro Ishihara wrote:

please do.

that was very interesting. :)

you've caught a glimpse from so close, that's sooo different from just reading interviews or stuff in the press. And you're telling those stories from the perspective of a true fan, of someone passionate about the music & the band. :rolleyes:
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Ishihara » Fri May 18, 2007 12:57 am

rubygirl wrote:<!--quoteo(post=40992:date=May 17 2007, 11:40 PM:name=Shintaro Ishihara)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shintaro Ishihara @ May 17 2007, 11:40 PM) [snapback]40992[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

please do.

that was very interesting. :)

you've caught a glimpse from so close, that's sooo different from just reading interviews or stuff in the press. And you're telling those stories from the perspective of a true fan, of someone passionate about the music & the band. :rolleyes:
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mike was the Smith I met the fewest amount of times. In the beginning I was always scared to approach him he looked he would beat you if you bothered him. I couldn't have been more wrong. He was just a big sweet teddy bear. A very gentle soul. Most of my Smiths singles he singed the back, he would always say that he wanted to make sure there was enough room on the front for Johnny and Morrissey to sign. I mean how humble is that? I was sad to hear how things turned out later.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smiths" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smiths</a>

I uploaded one of my signed poster to the wikipedia smiths article, check it out at the link above...

...Ishiara has spoken!
ImageImageImage
Ishihara
Supreme

Postby chicken » Fri May 18, 2007 2:57 am

Shintaro Ishihara wrote:Hope you found it interesting...

interesting is an understatement.
and we try to be nice here... :unsure: ...at least i do. (i've found the other members to be 'different' than what you usually find on forums, but only time will tell you based on your experiences. this forum is unique.)

*sitting*
*rapt*
*eager to hear more*
Last edited by chicken on Fri May 18, 2007 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to The Smiths