A reunion ????????????????????

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Lorimoz » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:54 pm

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->From MEN<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->:

THE Smiths are to be inducted into the rock'n'roll hall of fame in America next year, I can exclusively reveal, and the four band members could be on the same stage for the first time since their messy split in 1987.

The Manchester band, who helped put Strangeways and Salford Lads Club on the world map, are to be honoured by the Hall of Fame in a lavish ceremony planned for early next year, my spies tell me.

The entire band may make the trip for the induction, although judging by bass player Andy Rourke's reaction nothing is yet set in stone.

He tells me: "You never know what may happen. I don't know if we'll all go over there for the induction or not.

"It might just be Morrissey with three cardboard cut-outs. We'll just have to wait and see what happens."

If they do play on stage it will be regarded as a miracle after the bitter court case over performing royalties in 1996.

At the award ceremony they will be expected to give an acceptance speech in which most toast their peers and forebears in rock and follow it with a once-in-a-lifetime live performance as a tribute.

Artists are only eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record - meaning the time will be ripe for The Smiths next year, as their debut single Hand In Glove, was released in 1983. If they are inducted, The Smiths will join greats like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Who among the elite of pop. Ceremonies have featured many unforgettable moments such as when Mick Jagger, Tina Turner, Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys and Bruce Springsteen shared the same stage or when Santana performed Black Magic Woman with ex-Fleetwood Mac member Peter Green, the song's composer and original performer.

The artists are further honoured when they are featured in the Museum's Hall of Fame exhibit, which includes a computerised juke box containing virtually every song of every performer inductee and a film on three huge screens recounting their careers and music.

The 2008 inductees will not be officially revealed until late this year.

<a href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/entertainment/music/rock_and_pop/s/1004/1004800_smiths_set_for_reunion.html" target="_blank">Read it here if you want </a>

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->My money is on MOZ and the 3 cardboard cutouts.
Fingers crossed.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> :blink:

Nobody loves us
Lorimoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby HandsomeDevil » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:37 pm

It would indeed be a MIRACLE to see all 4 on stage, and thats why I just can't see it happening. Moz and Marr you could maybe imagine, but Morrissey is so vindictive he won't ever forgive Joyce.
Nevermind the fact that Moz also never appears at ceremonies or awards or whatever.

Who knows though...fingers are crossed.
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby rubygirl » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:15 am

Every now and then these reunion rumours resurface in one form or another...cannot say I wouldn't be curious of what might come out of this - but I highly doubt it, especially the prospect of all the original members coming back together. :huh:
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby weasey » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:15 pm

I'm sure Morrissey will take great pleasure in refusing to turn up at this. I think the only way it will happen is:
Andy and Johnny
or Andy and Mike
or Johnny and Mozzer, maybe with Andy aswell (this combination is a long shot)
All of them together is an impossibility, unless they are all sedated, dragged on stage, then propped up somehow.

We all know Moz hates Mike and would rather gouge his own pretty eyes out that have to come within 100 feet of him, unless it involved throwing rotting fruit at him of course...or worse...
I get the impression Johnny isn't too keen on Mike either, given that he wouldn't agree to playing with him at the vs Cancer gig.

Also, not all bands see it as an obligation to reform, look at the akward Blondie episode... So, there you have it, my valuable opinion...
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby elko » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:25 pm

weasey wrote:I think the only way it will happen is:
Andy and Johnny
or Andy and Mike
or Johnny and Mozzer, maybe with Andy aswell (this combination is a long shot)

Sounds about right, none of the other combinations are plausible really. Still, something to talk about I guess... :rolleyes:
elko
Site Admin

Postby madmancmonkey » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:54 am

Andy and Mike for sure... they seem pals... they were recently in an article together actaully.

Moz and Marr.. distant ....

Moz and the remainders.... miracalous.

Come on though, if the NYD were put back together by Morrissey the least he can do is appear back on stage for US for US!
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:14 pm

A reunion is so unlikely to happen that it's strange people still pay attention to these rumours. I may see Moz and Marr and maybe even Rourke doing something together as a once-off, and I guess as Marr/Moz were the soul of the band they may even use the Smiths moniker without Mike being there. But no way the original line-up will ever stand on a stage again together, I am surprised some press folks or people still believe it may happen someday.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:26 pm

I don't care how much I read about how the R&R Hall of Fame is a farce, (or insert adjective here). I still think it's a great thing if they do get voted in. Johnny would feel honored. He's a big fan of American music and its roots. It's rumored they are an easy vote. And for those who still have yet to wonder what the Smiths are all about, it'll be yet another opportunity. :)

I predict Marr and Rourke will show up to accept. Joyce would gladly be there, but wouldn't he have to be invited by the others?
Last edited by Still Ill on Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue May 15, 2007 4:49 am

You are right about that all. I always thought that walk of fame is a very silly concept, but if it can get new listeners into the Smiths then I guess their nomination has been something good somehow. More people turning to actually meaningful music has to be applauded, even if it is because of something silly like that 'walk of fame'. By the way, how come The Smiths only got their place now while some very recent bands have been there before? Well, proves your point about the farce aspect of it I guess, but let's hope it gets some more people into The Smiths and maybe even onto this board!

I doubt that Mike Joyce would show up without approval from the others, a public fight is the worst possible advertisement for the band and I'm sure they're mature enough to keep their conflicts out of the public eye on occasions like this. That said, I very much doubt Johnny and Andy would even consider inviting Mike. Moz won't appear, I'd be amazed if he'd care at all about ceremonies and trophies.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue May 15, 2007 5:03 am

Cracked Pleasures wrote:You are right about that all. I always thought that walk of fame is a very silly concept, but if it can get new listeners into the Smiths then I guess their nomination has been something good somehow. More people turning to actually meaningful music has to be applauded, even if it is because of something silly like that 'walk of fame'. By the way, how come The Smiths only got their place now while some very recent bands have been there before? Well, proves your point about the farce aspect of it I guess, but let's hope it gets some more people into The Smiths and maybe even onto this board!

I doubt that Mike Joyce would show up without approval from the others, a public fight is the worst possible advertisement for the band and I'm sure they're mature enough to keep their conflicts out of the public eye on occasions like this. That said, I very much doubt Johnny and Andy would even consider inviting Mike. Moz won't appear, I'd be amazed if he'd care at all about ceremonies and trophies.

Patti Smith just got in this year-- the Ramones just got in in 2004 was it? It is slow to catch on sometimes.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Return to The Smiths