Songs

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby tallulahtaurus » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:47 am

I don't think that it is something that is completly missing to hetero listeners, because I am pretty hetero - I think, no especially concrete lesbian tendencies in me... unless it's all v v v latent!!

also my friend is a man and straight and we both could see that the homoerotic elements were there or that there was an overall tendency towards the bisexual in lots of Morrissey's lyrics - well I hate to use the word bi as I am aware that Morrissey doesn't like it... "everyone is sexual, the prefix is immaterial." and I'm not sure to what extent it is true that heterosexuals can't understand homosexuality... I kinda understand it, it's not wholly unusual to me or unimaginable... but maybe that's just my peculiarity

Of course your interpretations are valid but I find them interesting I wasn't saying that I wthought the song was directed towards a man I said that it's all so ambiguous that conclusion on the gender of the object can't really be reached... that's my opinion

yeah boy in the bush is great innuedo for ya there illustrates our point really...
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:32 am

yes, you're defintely right that it is NOT something completely missing to hetero listeners because obviously some hetero listeners are tuned into ...uhh...a "larger world". i'll still contend that homosexuals have to accomodate a different world far more than hetero's do--at least as a general rule. and considering the era in which a lot of the lyrics were written, it might be fair to assume that the general public was less tolerant of blatent homosexuality than it is today. it seems sensible to me, then, that in order to 'make it' as a band, perhaps some things had to be a little "coded" in order to reach a larger audience. perhaps. maybe. it's still interesting to unravel, yes?
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:01 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->even if i'm totally cracked, i still think these ambiguities in the music are part of the appeal. it's better poetry when the reader can fill in their own gaps instead of it being forced upon you. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, yes, absolutely so, that's what I think also, Chicken!
And that's one of the main reasons I like Handsome Devil so much!

By the way, do you, guys, know what Shoplifters Of The World Unite is about - I love this track ever since I heard it in 1996, but the theme of this song still bewilders me. Why exactly shoplifters? <!--emo&:blink:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Any ideas?
I'd be pleased to hear them...
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:38 am

I don't know I'm as bewildered as you it just represents general theivery I guess and it allowed Morrissey to say"Hand it over" in a camp and entirely funny manner of a security guard. Hopefully someone else knows or thinks they do I would be most interested also Ruby Girl...

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:59 pm

Hmm what is the Hand that rocks the cradle about also I've been wondering...!! seems intrinsically paedophilic to me but I am more than willing to concede I am wrong Moz seems to not agree after all!!

tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:40 am

<!--emo&:blink:-->Image<!--endemo-->
why have i been singing death of a disco dancer all day? gosh.....

perhaps it's because i'd rather not get involved
it happens a lot around here.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:56 pm

does anyone else really love the drums towards the end of DOADD?

and yeah lyrics to the hand the rocks the cradle dodgey or what, i cant get my head around that <!--emo&:huh:-->Image<!--endemo-->
I'm spellbound, but a woman divides
And the hills are alive with celibate cries
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Supreme

Postby chicken » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:52 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Sweet and Tender Hooligan+Feb 23 2005, 09:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sweet and Tender Hooligan @ Feb 23 2005, 09:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> does anyone else really love the drums towards the end of DOADD? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
that was the exact comment i said to my friend last sunday when i shared all my smiths cd's with him......these drums...right *here*
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:32 pm

I love the drums on the end of it too. I tried it out as wel.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:35 pm

DOADD

Yes! Very reminiscent of the ending to Never Had No One Ever.

Other great moments -
Rubber Ring
SATH
London

How about the very fast
Miserable Lie and What She Said

Other favorite endings -
I Know It's Over
Pretty Girls
Unloveable

and the bombastic
Panic
Sheila

Honorable mentions- for their catchy double-beats (I'll get killed with the lack of drum lingo), which I love in songs -
Handsome Devil
Hand In Glove

I could go on.

Mike Joyce is so underrated! He was a great drummer. Wonder what he'll do with Vinny Peculiar.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:15 pm

loving that last post btw yes mike is a god indeed <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

all i can say right now though is:

ETC ETC ETC ETC!!!!!!!!!!
I'm spellbound, but a woman divides
And the hills are alive with celibate cries
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Supreme

Postby tallulahtaurus » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:02 am

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Other great moments -
Rubber Ring
SATH
London<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was just about to mention these Still Ill honestly I am moved by the drumming in these three a lot more than in DOADD I would say

now I've heard SATH (literally just heard it) I think that does deserve to be up there with the finest mike momentsI have always been very very fond of the drums in London only one I would add would also be Accept Yourself wonderful drumming there also I'd say

superb and wonderful and brilliant and all these wonderful things Mike rocks end of and nothing else is...!!

tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:59 am

I finally got to hear <span style='color:red'>Reel Around The Fountain</span> and I must say this song is amazing - it's everything I expected it to be from what I've read - and more. This melody touches me very deeply.

And W<span style='color:blue'>ork Is A Four Letter Word</span> - from everybody's comments I was prepared for something truly awful. But now that I am listening to it at the moment I think I don't mind it at all. It is quite Ok-ish - but somehow doesn't feel like The Smiths; it's listenable but lacks the emotional impact of the real Smiths'songs.

<span style='color:purple'>I Keep Mine Hidden </span>- I had read the lyrics, of course, and not having heard the tune I expected it to be a sad one - but this song sounds cheerful to me; it even somehow reminds me of The Beatles and their lighter tracks.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:13 pm

I keep mine hidden is a treasure, I love the way he says use your loaf on the end, as if to speak to all those people who ask him what his problem is... like well isn't it obvious that it is the result of keeping my feelings hidden...

at least thats personally how I took it!!

tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby billy » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:05 am

i discovered accept yourself again yesterday haven't heard it in over a year, what a great f**king song!!. <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
"i dreamt about you last night and i fell out of bed twice"
billy

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths