Songs You Hate

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby elko » Thu May 13, 2004 2:38 pm

My worst songs are probably Golden Lights and Death At One's Elbow
yours?
elko
Site Admin

Postby Strangeways84 » Sat May 15, 2004 1:40 pm

Death at One's Elbow and Miserable Lie are the only two songs I skip consistently every time they come up.
~Pat|AIM: WhatForFrancisco|E-mail: dreamingtree848@hotmail.com

This world is full
So full of crashing bores
And I must be one
'Cause no one ever turns to me and says
"Take me in your arms
Take me in your arms
And love me"
Strangeways84

Postby alabaster » Mon May 17, 2004 11:24 am

'hand in glove' i dont like the lyrics.'london' look, johnny marr, im not deaf. there's no need to go that loud.
how soon is now? HOW LONG DOES IT FEEL IT NEEDS TO GO ON FOR?
the queen is dead - bores me.
death at one's elbow - (yawn)
alabaster

Postby elko » Tue May 18, 2004 2:38 pm

The Queen Is Dead is a masterpiece, how it is boring I do not know.

Hand In Glove I really like the lyrics, somewhat quirky, homoeortic, but great.

The others I kind of agree with.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Strangeways84 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:19 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> 'hand in glove' i dont like the lyrics.'london' look, johnny marr, im not deaf. there's no need to go that loud.
how soon is now? HOW LONG DOES IT FEEL IT NEEDS TO GO ON FOR?
the queen is dead - bores me.
death at one's elbow - (yawn)<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oooo yeah London, forgot about that one. Morrissey supposedly loves that song too. I don't get it.

Hand In Glove, sometimes I like, sometimes I don't. Average song. Don't see how or why it was a single though.

I like How Soon is Now and Queen is Dead though. Two favorites of mine.
~Pat|AIM: WhatForFrancisco|E-mail: dreamingtree848@hotmail.com

This world is full
So full of crashing bores
And I must be one
'Cause no one ever turns to me and says
"Take me in your arms
Take me in your arms
And love me"
Strangeways84

Postby alabaster » Wed May 19, 2004 2:15 pm

hqand is glove is supposedly morrissey favourite smiths song, along with i keep min hidden. argh, i really want i keep mine hidden, i heard it once on launch and it rules! cant have it though, havent got the internet at home, or a credit card to but the CD it's on.
alabaster

Postby elko » Wed May 19, 2004 4:43 pm

I keep mine hidden is not that great, but I do like it a lot.
Hand In Glove is an exccelent song, definatley single materiual.

elko
elko
Site Admin

Postby girlfriend in a coma » Thu May 20, 2004 11:35 am

i love 'london' the song, (and the place, of course).

and i love 'hand in glove', it sounds good, lyrics are good, ('and everything depends upon how near you stand to me' - how lovely is that?!) the lyrics are a little disturbing, (jst look at the title)..which is always fun with morrisey!

but yeah, 'golden lights' really pisses me off. it's so tacky!...but they didnt even write that, did they? so it doesnt really count... i love the way they put it right next to 'oscillate widly' on louder than bombs, cos that's one of my faves smiths songs. interesting...seeing as it has no lyrics..but i love morrisey's lyrics. his lyircs and marr's music. genious.
girlfriend in a coma

Postby elko » Thu May 20, 2004 11:40 am

Golden Lights was a cover of the song by Twinkle, who was briefly a pop star in the late 60's. She wrote her own stuff which I think was unusual for the time, one reason I hate the Smiths version is cause the orignal is actually excellent.

elko
elko
Site Admin

Postby fieldingmellish » Sat May 22, 2004 1:22 am

I've never liked "Barbarism Begins At Home," mainly due to Andy Rourke's slap bass, which always reminds me of the Seinfeld theme tune. Not a good thing.
fieldingmellish

Postby elko » Sat May 22, 2004 11:03 am

Johnny Marr also said he disliked Barbarism Begins At Home. I think it's great, but goes on just a little too long.

elko
elko
Site Admin

Postby tired_hedonist » Sun May 23, 2004 3:46 am

I actually don't mind "Golden Lights," maybe I'm just too much of a gender-bending fan.

HATE "Meat is Murder," the lyrics are ludicrous and the music cacaphonous. (sp?)

I've never really liked "Please Please Please," it sounds like the stereotyped view of a whining Smiths song. Not partial to "I Know It's Over" either--lyrically overwrought, musically predictable, and vocally hopelessly out of tune. I wouldn't actually call either of these bad songs though--unlike "Meat is Murder"!
tired_hedonist

Postby alabaster » Tue May 25, 2004 8:50 am

i love 'barbarism'! it's the sort of song that makes you want to turn the stereo right up then put the speakers on the window sill so everyone else can hear! 'a crack on the head is what you get for not asking..'

what is that sound effect though? it sounds like barking. on the live version is sounds like shrieking. i think on the live version morrissey made the noise and they used an echo effect on his voice.
alabaster

Postby rubygirl » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:06 pm

wouldn't use the word "hate", but still there are a few Smiths' songs that just don't get to me, namely:

Miserable Lie
You've Got Everything Now
Half A Person
The Headmaster's Ritual

Not that they are bad or anything like that, but they don't have any emotional effect on me. And I've definitely tried to like them!

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->i love 'barbarism'! it's the sort of song that makes you want to turn the stereo right up then put the speakers on the window sill so everyone else can hear! 'a crack on the head is what you get for not asking..'<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do enjoy the music to Barbarism, but I don't like the way it is sung, that's why I often skip it while listening to MIM.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:16 pm

how soon is now does my head in.
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to The Smiths