Songs You Hate

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Re: Songs You Hate

Postby helmoz » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:47 am

a couple of nights ago i listened to "golden lights" for the first time in ages, and i still don't like it very much - it sounds like it was recorded underwater.
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:04 am

Ha ha, I still feel the same way about that song. But one song that I didn't initial like that I've grown to love and appreciate over the years is Meat is Murder. Nothing to do with the lyrics, it just sounded like what most people thought their songs sounded like--gloomy.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:34 pm

i too have been listening to "meat is murder" a lot more lately - not for the lyrics or the animal noises, but for the music.
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby rorschach » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:26 pm

Im might be wrong here but isn't the phrase "Never Had No One Ever" a double negative? So it actually means I've always had someone? Thats the way I see it anyways, taking the piss outta themselves a parody sort of.

Not so keen on Meat Is Murder, The Queen IS Dead (I don't like the music, love the lyrics)
Flat out don't like Miserable Lie, Golden Lights
Freedom is the only way, yeah

http://www.pbfcomics.com/
rorschach
Advanced

Re:

Postby egosheep » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:56 am

Sweet and Tender Hooligan wrote:i wouldnt use hate as well:

well i wonder

these just dont do it for me to be honest

interesting! WIW might be my favorite smiths song ever, top 10 for sure.
egosheep

Postby rubygirl » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:56 pm

I don't dislike Well I Wonder, but it never really got to me that much. But it's a tender song, especially musically, it's the Morrissey vocals I don't like on this one, though I am a big fan of his singing voice in general.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Noonan McKane » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:51 am

'Hate' is a pretty extreme term, but I can easily live without "Work Is A 4 Letter Word" (Johnny: "I didn't start a band to do Cilla Black covers.") And "Golden Lights". These covers are just Morrissey's indulgences and don't really count. I like the sound that Stephen Street gets on "Work....", perversely. (Was S.Street, wasn't it? Bath Woolhall during 'Strangeways' sessions? Sure it was..)

Leafing through these pages, I'm astonished at how often "The Queen Is Dead" crops up. TQID is absolutely perfect, flawless. An absolute milestone. If you 'hate' it, throw yer stereo away. It's not working properly.

I can understand the ill will people feel for "How Soon Is Now?"
As a B-side, it was a mildly interesting, slightly overworked demo. As the A-side of a 12" single, the time between it wearing out it's welcome and the end of it is punishingly long.

What really annoys me about 'HSIN?' is the fact that Warners stuck it onto the CD reissue of "Meat Is Murder", giving hundreds of thousands of 'new' listeners the impression that the Smiths 2nd LP is almost perfect, except for that mishapen lump of an overworked demo in the middle....

They got away with sticking "This Charming Man" in the middle of "The Smiths", even if it still somehow doesn't seem to 'belong' there. The bloody annoyance is that on neither of the CDs liner notes do they bother to mention the late additions. Not even a wee asterisk.....*non album single........*punishingly long slightly overworked demo.......*Don't blame us. Greedy pair of bastards insisted on further royalty........*Think yourselves lucky 'Strangeways Here We Come' hasn't got 9 minute cover of Cilla's "Surprise Surprise" as a bonus track.........etc. That kind of thing
i shouted out 'who killed the kennedys?' when after all it was you and me
Noonan McKane
Smiths Nut!

Re:

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:14 am

Bref wrote:The only Smiths song I hate is Meat is Murder. We get the message after the first two minutes why doesit go on so long. It makes me want to bite a live pig in the arse just to spite him!

Heh, this is *such* a Robert Smith quote :-P
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Re: Re:

Postby DAVIE » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:45 pm

I actually loved Work Is A four Letter Word, Moz still plays the song as his song listing at the opening of gigs...Why doesn't he just put The Smiths version on?? How can we say though that there is a song we hate on The Smiths, if we are all fans?
I think the least song I play by The Smiths is Golden Lights though.
DAVIE

Postby borntohang » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:37 pm

Golden Lights and Death at ones elbow are the only ones. The rest is either very very good or otherworldly masterpieces.
borntohang

Postby HeavenKnowsImMozzerable » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:55 am

I Know It's Over bores me to death, so does Miserable Lie, Death at One's Elbow and Suffer Little Children.
I wanna go home... I don't want to stay... give up life as a BAD MISTAKE...

Life is good; and I feel great. 'Cause mother says I was a great mistake.
HeavenKnowsImMozzerable
Regular

Previous

Return to The Smiths