Songs You Hate

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Lorimoz » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:40 pm

I am not too keen on "MISERABLE LIE", " Dear God please help me",
"Come back to Camden", " Moonriver".

Nobody loves us
Lorimoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby Hidden by Rags » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:46 am

They didn't do many bad songs at all.

Golden Lights and Work is a 4-Letter Word are obviously cover versions. They're not very good, although the latter has its charms if you're in the right mood.

Death At One's Elbow isn't very good either, but for some reason I don't skip it. It's only short, after all.

Miserable Lie I would skip on the album because that version is so terrible, but these days I usually use my iPod speakers, and I've put the Peel version on my playlist for The Smiths instead of the album version - much better. It's a good song that really suffers from the production on the first album.

Barbarism Begins At Home is a funny one. It's quite a good song, but when the vocal has finished, I normally listen to it for about a minute before skipping to "Meat is Murder" - the instrumental just goes on for too long, and I don't find it as interesting as, say, the end of "The Queen is Dead".

Still, out of 70-odd songs they did, that's three I don't like, and two of those are cover versions. Not bad.
Hidden by Rags
Regular

Postby kurt » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:35 pm

I don't like the songs;

Sheila take a bow
Shakespeares sister
and maybe some more, but i dont remember the names because i dont like them!
<div align="left"><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green"><!--/coloro-->Everything you say to me takes me One step closer to the edge</div>

<div align="right">and I'm about to break<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
kurt
Supreme

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:57 pm

I like Golden Lights... it's very surreal and has an air of admiration in it- like Mozza really admired the original artist a whole bunch and it was his tribute to them. I can neither confirm nor deny this, it's just a feeling.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:29 pm

Pashernate_Lover wrote:I like Golden Lights... it's very surreal and has an air of admiration in it- like Mozza really admired the original artist a whole bunch and it was his tribute to them. I can neither confirm nor deny this, it's just a feeling.

Yeah! I like it too, I never skip it.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Lazy Dyke » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:19 pm

On being a smith's fan for a lot longer...
the only track that I really skip is: Golden Lights

I now love last night I dreamt.. but I confess I usually forward the two minute intro.
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby madmancmonkey » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:25 am

Golden lights is ace .... as is Oscillate Wildely for all it's allusion. There is not a Smiths song I particularly hate tbh.
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby WordsAsOldAsSin » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:10 pm

hmm probably never had no one ever , i dont know, i always thought it sounded boaring, maybe it was because it was right after i know its over which is quite a slow song anyway so it felt like this song was dragging on afterwards :S.
Love is Natural and Real
But not for such as you and I, my love
WordsAsOldAsSin
Supreme

Postby yandee » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:53 pm

WordsAsOldAsSin wrote:hmm probably never had no one ever , i dont know, i always thought it sounded boaring, maybe it was because it was right after i know its over which is quite a slow song anyway so it felt like this song was dragging on afterwards :S.

I have to admit that I thought the same way until like 10 minutes ago. I sang along to I know it's over with full voice and thought of skipping the next track, when I suddenly realized what a wonderfull song it is and how it in some strange way matches perfectly in between two monolithic classics as some kind of emotional catalyst. And that outro with Moz sighing just broke my heart. Maybe I’m just in the right mood for that sort of things.

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:28 am

WordsAsOldAsSin wrote:hmm probably never had no one ever , i dont know, i always thought it sounded boaring, maybe it was because it was right after i know its over which is quite a slow song anyway so it felt like this song was dragging on afterwards :S.

:o :o I love that song! listen to it a few times, or listen to it in the proper order on queen is dead and you'll love it i swear, its so sweet!!
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:38 pm

this_charming_girl wrote:<!--quoteo(post=38517:date=Feb 12 2007, 05:10 PM:name=WordsAsOldAsSin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WordsAsOldAsSin @ Feb 12 2007, 05:10 PM) [snapback]38517[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
hmm probably never had no one ever , i dont know, i always thought it sounded boaring, maybe it was because it was right after i know its over which is quite a slow song anyway so it felt like this song was dragging on afterwards :S.

:o :o I love that song! listen to it a few times, or listen to it in the proper order on queen is dead and you'll love it i swear, its so sweet!!
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

many people don't rate this song very high - I wonder why, I find it so touching, so deeply emotional, it utterly shakes me...
It's one of my favourites, to me 'Never Had No-one Ever' rhymes with greatness ...

Heve to say though, the last time I listened to Golden Lights it sounded kinda ridiculous to me - I don't hate it, it's not that bad or anything. But there's just something to this song that is so un-Smithsy...
Last edited by rubygirl on Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby ugh raines » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:20 pm

I really hated Back To The Old House. Mostly, because I bought the Louder Than Bombs guitar tablature and it just seemed impossible to play. I think Marrr said alot of his playing style was Flamenco. Mike Johnson, ex dinosaur jr bassists, covered this song on the Thing Behind the Sun soundtrack and he has such a wonderful, deep voice. The dinosaur jr. version of Boy With The thorn is pretty good too....Oddly enough, I heard Golden Lights on the PA prior to a priestess show recently. I really like that song, even though it has an opera/ballet/strange vibe.
ugh raines

Postby chicken » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:18 pm

i actually kinda like golden lights. the refrain is a bit cheesey, but i really like how mozzer sings on it.
again, i feel like i belong to the "10% club" (that's a frank black reference, btw. statistically, the number of 10% groups i belong to is rather astounding, if not utterly ridiculous :D )
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Ishihara » Wed May 16, 2007 10:52 pm

elko wrote:Golden Lights was a cover of the song by Twinkle, who was briefly a pop star in the late 60's. She wrote her own stuff which I think was unusual for the time, one reason I hate the Smiths version is cause the orignal is actually excellent.

elko

I didn't get it until I heard the original. Now I appreciate both very much.
I love London, and some of the other songs mentioned.

I dont think there is a Smiths song I hate, my least favorite would be
Sweet And Tender Hooligan

:ph34r:
Last edited by Ishihara on Wed May 16, 2007 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Ishiara has spoken!
ImageImageImage
Ishihara
Supreme

Re: Songs You Hate

Postby the-queen-is-dead » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:37 am

never had no one ever.

just so dreary.
Lynn, you couldn't present a .. cat!
the-queen-is-dead

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths